The Student Room Group

Apple Macbook Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rickfloss
Can you read? My ipad and desktop computer loads pages almost instantly

All run off the same bloody network

troll harder

You used your ipad and desktop computer on the Apple store's network?

How hard do you want me to troll?
Original post by sophieleannexo
I've decided to get an Apple Mac for universite

What made up you're mind? They're little more than overprice chunks of shiny plastic 'n aluminium in my experience and I have owned one.

With the MB air you're sacrificing value/performance for a slightly thinner shiny plastic/aluminium chunk.

As far as performance is concerned, any modern laptop will meet your browsing/listening/watching needs as well as the next. You need to consider how large you'd like the screen to be and how much Hard drive space you'd like to have.

I'd recommend looking into some of the mid range laptops other manufacturers have to offer. You'll save yourself a fortune If its OSX that has you hooked, download a copy and install it on a partition or scrap windows entirely! Its such a common misconception that OSX is limited to Apple hardware.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
You used your ipad and desktop computer on the Apple store's network?

How hard do you want me to troll?

Ffs, i used them at my house!!

Where else do you think? Inside a volcano?
Original post by rickfloss
Ffs, i used them at my house!!

Where else do you think? Inside a volcano?

No, I clearly said I thought it was at the Apple store, which is what you clearly said in your earlier post.

Now I'm very curious why you thought I thought you used them inside a volcano? Was there anything in my post that indicated that?
No, I clearly said I thought it was at the Apple store, which is what you clearly said in your earlier post.

Now I'm very curious why you thought I thought you used them inside a volcano? Was there anything in my post that indicated that?

Im too tired to argue with you lol, ill edit my first post

and its 100% pathetic that apple store cant have a good network, especially with their stupidly hgih profit margins
Original post by Rashneish
What made up you're mind? They're little more than overprice chunks of shiny plastic 'n aluminium in my experience and I have owned one.

With the MB air you're sacrificing value/performance for a slightly thinner shiny plastic/aluminium chunk.

I'd recommend looking into some of the mid range laptops other manufacturers have to offer. You'll save yourself a fortune!

If its OSX that has you hooked, download a copy and install it on a partition or scrap windows entirely!

Unless you like 12 hours battery life of course. For some people that is a lot of value. I would happily pay £200 extra for 5 more hours of battery life, all else being equal.

All Windows laptops I found in that price range either had much worse battery life, or are much heavier (and still not as good battery life).
I would happily pay £200 extra for 5 more hours of battery life, all else being equal.

In what circumstance could you realistically require 12 hours of battery life?

You have enough expendable income to justify £200 for 5 hours of battery life?

If money is no object and a huge battery life really is a priority, buy the 13''. Its a nice machine, theres no doubt about that. Keep in mind that your GPU will have the processing power of a small toaster. Don't expect to be playing any decent looking games at acceptable frame rates.

EDIT: You're not even the OP. What is this madness!?
(edited 9 years ago)
In what circumstance could you realistically require 12 hours of battery life?

You have enough expendable income to justify £200 for 5 hours of battery life? I don't suppose value for money is an issue then.

When I have classes from 8am to 6pm.

12 hours of battery life is with very low utilization. At average utilization it would be closer to 8-9 hours.

A 4 hours Windows laptop would be closer to 2.5-3 hours in reality, and that would be quite inconvenient.

I don't know if you are done university or not, but from my 4 years degree, the #1 thing I learned about laptops is that battery life is really the most important thing, especially when you have lecture halls that only have a few outlets. It's nice to not have to fight everyone for those seats.

I had a 8 hours Windows laptop for most of my degree, and I still had to hunt for outlets once in a while (I did engineering, so I was at uni for 12 hours at a time quite often, and need my laptop for most of it).

It has nothing to do with expendable income I have. I would trade £200 worth of performance (say 1.4ghz i3 to 3.0ghz i7) for 5 hours of battery life any day. The extra performance I will probably feel maybe on average 5 minutes a day. The extra battery life will be felt all the time as I have to constantly fight for those outlets.

It's the difference between not having to worry about power at all, and just charge at night, to having to be constantly on look-out for outlets, and carrying the brick around everywhere.
-Snip-

I had assumed you were in college for some reason. Probably because I and most everyone I know is.

Given your situation, I can understand why battery life is so important. Good luck finding the right machine.

A small quib: refering to all non-apple computers as windows machines is misleading. They just happen to come pre-loaded with a copy of windows but might just as well run OSX if apple allowed it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I had assumed you were in college for some reason. Probably because I and most everyone I know is.

Given your situation, I can understand why battery life is so important. Good luck finding the right machine.

A small quib: refering to all non-apple computers as windows machines is misleading. They just happen to come pre-loaded with a copy of windows but might just as well run OSX if apple allowed it.

Yeah I used to call them x86 laptops. But then Apple switched to x86 as well... I actually ran Linux on most "windows laptops" I've had.

I am going back to uni for master's in October, and got a MBP a little while ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending