The Student Room Group

Did TSR influence your uni decision/place?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker

Fair enough. Did you post in your uni subforum for help/do you to help others there?

Yes. A mother of someone who's applying actually messaged me on Facebook seeing that I've posted quite a lot.
TSR probably will when I get round to it,:colondollar: however I think open days would be the deal breaker/sealer for me :redface:
Original post by clh_hilary
Yes. A mother of someone who's applying actually messaged me on Facebook seeing that I've posted quite a lot.

:five:

Awesome work.

And it's not a uni choice but i recently got some help in the fitness forum which helped me get a job.

Had to talk about something i'm passionate about and i chose my training and i made a thread of "What transferable skills does training show" to help and got awesome responses, used these to help make a presentation and delivered it in an interview and got the job.
I've been lurking on here since GCSEs.

I did ask on a thread whether I should firm Lancaster or Nottingham, and everyone said Nottingham, but I firmed Lancaster instead, because I loved it on the open day and the course was way more flexible.
I put Nottingham as my insurance though, so I suppose it influenced me a bit.

I'm kind of wish I asked more about what unis to apply to, as I feel I wasted 2 of my applications.
Original post by goldtippedarrows
TSR probably will when I get round to it,:colondollar: however I think open days would be the deal breaker/sealer for me :redface:

TSR has lots of useful info on open days to help you find them though. :tongue:

Current year of study/plans?
TSR has lots of useful info on open days to help you find them though. :tongue:

Current year of study/plans?

and I'm about to embark on A levels but am a visionary so always look wayyy to ahead into the possible future:biggrin: And you?

and I'm about to embark on A levels but am a visionary so always look wayyy to ahead into the possible future:biggrin: And you?

Ooo, you have many years of TSR being useful to look forward to!

I just finished a masters degree in chemistry and got a job this morning. :wink:
It didn't influence my initial decisions, however, I did look at threads on the university I wanted to firm when I received my offers in order to verify that I made the right choice, and to try and get a feel of what the uni was like and the kind of people that go there etc
I didn't even look at TSR when I was deciding. But from the looks of this it wouldn't have been very useful anyway. Most people have never even heard of my uni. I also didn't need other people's opinions I knew what I wanted to do. I applied to one Uni although they had given me a place before I even looked at doing UCAS.
Ooo, you have many years of TSR being useful to look forward to!

I just finished a masters degree in chemistry and got a job this morning. :wink:

I agree, I'm in way too deep with TSR, I look forward to those years on here :tongue:

AND :eek: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :nyan:What does your job entail? You can finally pay of the student loan :biggrin:
Original post by MartinCB
It didn't influence my initial decisions, however, I did look at threads on the university I wanted to firm when I received my offers in order to verify that I made the right choice, and to try and get a feel of what the uni was like and the kind of people that go there etc

What type of feeling did you get there?

Did you post /ask questions there?

Original post by DiddyDec
I didn't even look at TSR when I was deciding. But from the looks of this it wouldn't have been very useful anyway. Most people have never even heard of my uni. I also didn't need other people's opinions I knew what I wanted to do. I applied to one Uni although they had given me a place before I even looked at doing UCAS.

Interesting, which uni is this? If we don't have a section for it then maybe we should do... :holmes:

I agree, I'm in way too deep with TSR, I look forward to those years on here :tongue:

AND :eek: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :nyan:What does your job entail? You can finally pay of the student loan :biggrin:

A lot of poeple end up here for many years.

Making safty sensors for powerplants. and student loan is only £3k per year and they only take a small amount.
Interesting, which uni is this? If we don't have a section for it then maybe we should do... :holmes:

Harper Adams University. It is not worth making a page for it. We only get about 600 freshers a year. And it is very rare that someone ever asks about Harper Adams.
Harper Adams University. It is not worth making a page for it. We only get about 600 freshers a year. And it is very rare that someone ever asks about Harper Adams.

There are people asking about it though...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2696130

and we have a guide which you can contribute to and edit. :yep
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Harper_Adams_University_College
What type of feeling did you get there?

Did you post /ask questions there?

I actually got a very fair and varied view that allowed me to make a decision based on the kinds of views that best aligned with my own.

I asked one or two questions that were promptly answered, again with a range of views.
There are people asking about it though...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2696130

and we have a guide which you can contribute to and edit. :yep
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Harper_Adams_University_College

1 person. Normally during term time I try and answer any questions about Harper. But I'm not sure an entire sub forum is needed. I will try and get the SU to update the Student Union part. I'm too lazy to do it myself.
Yeah, it made me aim a bit higher with my uni choices, and I learnt a lot about how unis actually work, and how to write a personal statement etc.
1 person. Normally during term time I try and answer any questions about Harper. But I'm not sure an entire sub forum is needed. I will try and get the SU to update the Student Union part. I'm too lazy to do it myself.

49 posts in a thread about applicants for this year though. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2556496
49 posts in a thread about applicants for this year though. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2556496

That isn't really enough for its own sub forum. We have it all under control over at the SU.
That isn't really enough for its own sub forum. We have it all under control over at the SU.

I actually agree there's not enough discussion for a subforum having looked but think it could do with you going to help that guy with no replies in the 2015 thread. He looks lonely...
I actually agree there's not enough discussion for a subforum having looked but think it could do with you going to help that guy with no replies in the 2015 thread. He looks lonely...

Will do.

Quick Reply

Latest