The Student Room Group

I'm a black girl ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CocoaPowder
Wow so many naturalistas maybe we should start our own thread :smile:

Yh right :yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
Are your economic views in line with keynsian economists or austrain economists?
Do you think brics nations growth rates will remain sluggish? Please provide a explanation of your answer.
Are we running the risk of creating another housing bubble?
What are your opinions on recent m&a within the tech sector?
Is the patent cliff a major concern for big pharma, if so are high value acquisition the answer?

Haha sowws I don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prudence290497
Haha sowws I don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile

SMH in disappointment.
Original post by CocoaPowder
Wow so many naturalistas maybe we should start our own thread :smile:

We should, i don't mind making it? / have you made one? :h:
Original post by anonymouspie227
We should, i don't mind making it? / have you made one? :h:

I think someone has

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ldsbabe
Don't try and be clever when you're clearly not. You would not have asked a white girl that, and you know full well you wouldn't.

Never assume, check. You are making your self sound like a fool
Reply 186
I cba to read the previous posts Sorry :')

Whats your ethnicity?
Where ya from?
What type of music do you listen to?
Can you dance?
If so, what kinda Dance?
Whats your favorite food to eat?

Do you only like BMWs? :colone:
Original post by hlyon200
Never assume, check. You are making your self sound like a fool

lol **** off you're probably about 11.
Original post by ldsbabe
lol **** off you're probably about 11.

Assumptions again. Really, you're making a idiot of yourself.
Assumptions again. Really, you're making a idiot of yourself.

I can't understand for the life of me why you are quoting me and commenting. I could not give a **** what you think about how I am making myself look. I feel honoured that you took time away from your pokemon cards to try to talk to me, but seriously...go away.
Original post by Mick.w
In the UK this is what I have observed.

Jamaicans are the original black immigrants in the UK
there have been others. but Jamaicans have over shadowed them.

Africans Don't get on with Jamaicans for a few reasons.
1. Jamaicans culture (food, dance, music, dress, dialog) is admired. whereas nobody really cares too much for Egusi and Fufu. I dont think Africa has contributed much musically since Fela Kuti. and africas big. fashion-wise africa has been looked to for its history and tradition. not its forward thinking creativity. Only recently has african fashion started to become more interesting and only recently has azonto picked up. but azonto has gone almost as quickly as it arrived and is now boring as "popular" music. although ghanaians seem quite happy to dance to azonto... ALL DAY AND NIGHT. also azonto whilst cool dancing on stage isnt really cool in clubs when you're going to dance with a girl with you just poking in each others direction. its like the dance equivalent of being friend zoned.

2. Jamaicans are working class. Africans are middle class. So whereas Jamaicans are proud of doing an honest days work hard labour. Africans have a very snobbish attitude and often laugh at the poor. the UK has quite a working class tradition so when jamaicans were blending in working on construction sites with the white workers and then having a drink up after. Africans have not done this. africans will go out and not want anyone to touch them and look down their noses at everybody. working class people let go because they work hard and play hard. middle class people are too busy trying to get one up on everyone and being holier than thou. So africans are jealous of jamaicas coolness and street cred. but jamaicans don't like africans snobbery and are resent of their success.

3. Afro-Asiatics aka East Africans. nobody knows how to class them, not even themselves. are they arabs? are they asian? are they black? are they african? basically nobody parties with them. why? because they're muslim. and muslims are not fun people. nobody wants to go to a "muslim party" and nobody invites muslims round because they're too much of a pain to cater for. they even call themselves east african. when they no very well that they are different to most kenyans, ugandans, tanzanians and mozambicans. so why do they call themselves east africans? perhaps its to blend in with other africans? perhaps its to illustrate they are superior and that the black africans who live in east africa are migrants of some sort? anyway people don't get on with afro-asiatics because they are fake. they are fake because in an ideal world they would NEVER call themselves black. they are very proud of having arab blood and given the opportunity would rather marry someone from yemen than kenya. the only reason they say they are black in the uk is because they would have no social life otherwise. arabs and south asians won't accept them because they are too black. so they "settle" for black people. so they want to try and get the street cred of black people and have allies of some sort. so its "yea yea im black of course im black" to their face. but "no i dont class my self as black" at home.
as for being jealous of the hair? black women don't get to see you're hair because you have it covered because you're muslims and where scarves and hijabs. so you youself are only really appreciating you're hair. also jamaicans are used to seeing black people with asian admixture such as coolies. so its nothing new. however yes there is major issues with black women psychologically and their sense of beauty, being accepted in a western context and being fashionable. and lots of black girls will not admit they are ashamed of their natural hair or embarrassed that they've never been taught how to look after their hair to the point where they think its harder. or they decide that their own hair as an individual is special and cannot be dealt with naturally with out major effort. its just poor parenting and education or people lieing to themselves. protective hair style... 24/7 365 days a year? yea... sure you're proud of you're natural hair. like they don't do weave that makes you're hair look afro? or even curly? but yea somali's n eritreans n djbouti n all those types not many people even see you're hair to no about it so don't get gassed.

This is the dumbest post I think I've ever read. African people do not hate Caribbean people. Since we both come from similar cultures we tend to have a lot in common compared to white people and tend to stick together. I know in my area people can't really distinguish between the 'Caribbean black people' and 'African people' since really everyone is mixed up. I have a few Caribbean friends and sometimes I even forget they aren't African because really we are the same.

African food isn't just 'Egusi' I'm African and I don't even know what that is. I'm guessing it's Nigerian or Ghanaian and in case you haven't noticed, Africa isn't just made up of Nigeria and Ghana. Also you've forgotten about Jollof Rice which is very popular amongst both Caribbean and African people, my Caribbean friends love it just like how we love Rice and peas and Jerk Chicken. I prefer Caribbean food to African food but that doesn't mean African food is truly terrible and that's why we hate Caribbeans, what a stupid argument.

Not all Caribbeans are working class, I've met a few middle class Caribbeans too, just like how I'm working class and African. I haven't noticed a snobbish attitude with Africans at all. Africans do generally do better in school etc because of cultural differences but that doesn't mean all Africans do or all Caribbeans don't. I've met plenty of exceptions, once again the whole divide due to class isn't something I've experienced at all. Please don't act like Caribbean music is dominating the Black music scene right now cause it isn't. Afrobeats is doing a lot better than bashment right now, back in the day with Vybz Kartel and all those artists, bashment was far better but nowadays there isn't really any new popular music. Azonto doesn't represent all Afrobeats, I hate Azonto but there are plenty of other afrobeat songs I like. I don't see why it is a competition really, in my area we all appreciate both types of music. You'll never go to a good party and just hear afrobeats or just hear bashment, you usually hear both because once again we're more united than you think.

I have nothing against Caribbeans just like how I hope they have nothing against me. The only thing that annoys me is when they suddenly act like they are so much better than Africans and make everything a competition when us Africans are happily ready to welcome them into our communities and cultures since we identify with their history and heritage. We share an understanding due to the fact that we are black minorities in a majority white country. I've always thought we were united not divided really, that's why you get ACS in university and not AS and CS.
Original post by ldsbabe
I can't understand for the life of me why you are quoting me and commenting. I could not give a **** what you think about how I am making myself look. I feel honoured that you took time away from your pokemon cards to try to talk to me, but seriously...go away.

Because you were being petty, and really quite pathetic. Your insistence to be PC really annoys me.
Because you were being petty, and really quite pathetic. Your insistence to be PC really annoys me.

That's your problem, not mine. Don't put your issues on me. I'm just saying, as a woman of mixed black heritage...I found those comments offensive.
Original post by Dinaa
I cba to read the previous posts Sorry :')

Whats your ethnicity?
Where ya from?
What type of music do you listen to?
Can you dance?
If so, what kinda Dance?
Whats your favorite food to eat?

Black African
South Africa
Yh i can dance
Street dance , contemporary n a bit of hip hop
I like lasagna n pasta bakes :yy::biggrin::top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mick.w
In the UK this is what I have observed.

Jamaicans are the original black immigrants in the UK
there have been others. but Jamaicans have over shadowed them.

Africans Don't get on with Jamaicans for a few reasons.
1. Jamaicans culture (food, dance, music, dress, dialog) is admired. whereas nobody really cares too much for Egusi and Fufu. I dont think Africa has contributed much musically since Fela Kuti. and africas big. fashion-wise africa has been looked to for its history and tradition. not its forward thinking creativity. Only recently has african fashion started to become more interesting and only recently has azonto picked up. but azonto has gone almost as quickly as it arrived and is now boring as "popular" music. although ghanaians seem quite happy to dance to azonto... ALL DAY AND NIGHT. also azonto whilst cool dancing on stage isnt really cool in clubs when you're going to dance with a girl with you just poking in each others direction. its like the dance equivalent of being friend zoned.

2. Jamaicans are working class. Africans are middle class. So whereas Jamaicans are proud of doing an honest days work hard labour. Africans have a very snobbish attitude and often laugh at the poor. the UK has quite a working class tradition so when jamaicans were blending in working on construction sites with the white workers and then having a drink up after. Africans have not done this. africans will go out and not want anyone to touch them and look down their noses at everybody. working class people let go because they work hard and play hard. middle class people are too busy trying to get one up on everyone and being holier than thou. So africans are jealous of jamaicas coolness and street cred. but jamaicans don't like africans snobbery and are resent of their success.

3. Afro-Asiatics aka East Africans. nobody knows how to class them, not even themselves. are they arabs? are they asian? are they black? are they african? basically nobody parties with them. why? because they're muslim. and muslims are not fun people. nobody wants to go to a "muslim party" and nobody invites muslims round because they're too much of a pain to cater for. they even call themselves east african. when they no very well that they are different to most kenyans, ugandans, tanzanians and mozambicans. so why do they call themselves east africans? perhaps its to blend in with other africans? perhaps its to illustrate they are superior and that the black africans who live in east africa are migrants of some sort? anyway people don't get on with afro-asiatics because they are fake. they are fake because in an ideal world they would NEVER call themselves black. they are very proud of having arab blood and given the opportunity would rather marry someone from yemen than kenya. the only reason they say they are black in the uk is because they would have no social life otherwise. arabs and south asians won't accept them because they are too black. so they "settle" for black people. so they want to try and get the street cred of black people and have allies of some sort. so its "yea yea im black of course im black" to their face. but "no i dont class my self as black" at home.
as for being jealous of the hair? black women don't get to see you're hair because you have it covered because you're muslims and where scarves and hijabs. so you youself are only really appreciating you're hair. also jamaicans are used to seeing black people with asian admixture such as coolies. so its nothing new. however yes there is major issues with black women psychologically and their sense of beauty, being accepted in a western context and being fashionable. and lots of black girls will not admit they are ashamed of their natural hair or embarrassed that they've never been taught how to look after their hair to the point where they think its harder. or they decide that their own hair as an individual is special and cannot be dealt with naturally with out major effort. its just poor parenting and education or people lieing to themselves. protective hair style... 24/7 365 days a year? yea... sure you're proud of you're natural hair. like they don't do weave that makes you're hair look afro? or even curly? but yea somali's n eritreans n djbouti n all those types not many people even see you're hair to no about it so don't get gassed.

This.
My experiences support near enough everything you've just said.
I generally don't get what what there is to be jealous of really. I'm proud of the fact that my Grandmother came here to England and had 3 jobs at the same time to support my aunts, mother and uncles. But when i talk to my Nigerian friends, it kind of seems like none of their Grandparents have worked as hard to get where they are. I hardly hear of it. My family may be working class here in ENgland, but in Jamaica, I'm actually upperclass, but we don't brag about it.
In my general expirience, the snobbishness passes down through generations. My other working class friends find it awkward to go around thier houses and often they insult the area I live in. Plus, I hear horrible things like 'You don't know who your father is', when I do. I'm part cuban(latin) and Taino Jamaican, to whom family is everything. Absolutely everything. It's not only in Jamica, but the whole Carribbean, because when push comes to shove, Us Carribbeans can all unite.
And the hair thing. I just don't get it. Alot of Jamicans and I gues Carribeans, keep their natural hair. If you see a person with a weave or relaxed hair, they're usually over 16/18 as we think that relaxers etc, are just not suitable for childeren. I for one have never had extentions, weave, relaxer or anything like that in my hair. Ever. (I've dyed it burgundy though, I got bored). I love my hair. I just don't leave my hair out much because it's really light and so a little bit of wind moves it easily and I hate hair going into my face and having to fix it every few seconds. Especially when curly hair tangles easily.

What ethnicity are you btw?
Original post by Rlove95
This is the dumbest post I think I've ever read. African people do not hate Caribbean people. Since we both come from similar cultures we tend to have a lot in common compared to white people and tend to stick together. I know in my area people can't really distinguish between the 'Caribbean black people' and 'African people' since really everyone is mixed up. I have a few Caribbean friends and sometimes I even forget they aren't African because really we are the same.

yea i can tell you're african. cause only an african would say this^
caribbeans do have a lot in common with africa. but also a lot of difference.
culturally jamaicans are most similar to ghanians. considering even africans can clash due to cultural differences i find it a bit weird that you're going as far as to say you're "the same" i'm guessing meaning both black?

Original post by Rlove95

African food isn't just 'Egusi' I'm African and I don't even know what that is. I'm guessing it's Nigerian or Ghanaian and in case you haven't noticed, Africa isn't just made up of Nigeria and Ghana. Also you've forgotten about Jollof Rice which is very popular amongst both Caribbean and African people, my Caribbean friends love it just like how we love Rice and peas and Jerk Chicken. I prefer Caribbean food to African food but that doesn't mean African food is truly terrible and that's why we hate Caribbeans, what a stupid argument.

so where in africa are you from? nigerian and ghanaian make up the majority of african immigrants to this country. and in case you havent noticed. the post was generally speaking. like a round up of the typical. i would of thought was obvious. if you're entire argument is that theres a minority of exceptions than my point still stands. jollof rice is overrated. boring version of paella.

hang on you think my argument that africans hate caribbeans because african food is so bad? go back and read it again. my point was caribbeans are more culturally popular to westerners. that includes their food being more popular. clearly their food is more popular to even you. the issue is THE CULTURE (that includes food). is more popular. its cooler. it was quite common back in the day for africans at school to lie and say they were jamaican. but they all deny that now. bunch of liars lol. at least some admit it happened but say they never did it themselves personally. which i respect. i respect being real. not this twisting truth and fact to turn the world into the perspective you wish it to be.

Original post by Rlove95

Not all Caribbeans are working class, I've met a few middle class Caribbeans too, just like how I'm working class and African. I haven't noticed a snobbish attitude with Africans at all. Africans do generally do better in school etc because of cultural differences but that doesn't mean all Africans do or all Caribbeans don't. I've met plenty of exceptions, once again the whole divide due to class isn't something I've experienced at all. Please don't act like Caribbean music is dominating the Black music scene right now cause it isn't. Afrobeats is doing a lot better than bashment right now, back in the day with Vybz Kartel and all those artists, bashment was far better but nowadays there isn't really any new popular music. Azonto doesn't represent all Afrobeats, I hate Azonto but there are plenty of other afrobeat songs I like. I don't see why it is a competition really, in my area we all appreciate both types of music. You'll never go to a good party and just hear afrobeats or just hear bashment, you usually hear both because once again we're more united than you think.

here we go with the exceptions again. you do know the history of wind rush and the caribbean community coming over here to work as working class people? yes some have risen to middleclass but they are rare in comparison to the rest of the jamaican community.
also even if you're living a working class life here in the uk does not mean you're working class. i hear many stories from africans boasting about how rich they were in africa before they came here. where are you from? how are you working class?

afrobeats is dominating because africans are running the events for africans. i've been to them. their not great. no one lets go its too up tight.

caribbean raves everyone goes to. also believe it or not there was more than just vybz kartel making music. but afro beats largely sounds all the same it all sounds like azonto and its not "ravey enough" its very light hoppy music to bubble to. like kuduro isnt really popular over here and thats angolan. but thats rave music you can go nuts too.

i went to party not long ago we had to ask the dj to put on some bashment because the afro beats was driving us nuts. 3 hours of afro beats. and the majority african audience was happy with it. but then when bashment came on everyone started having actual fun and letting loose.

more united then i think? you realise before i posted my response there had been a whole bunch of people talking about this issue before u? saying how there was a lot of rivalry. i even no mixed caribbean and african heritage people who will confirm that. if you think there isnt rivalry and division then you're living in the clouds. this threads responses from others alone are evidence of that.

but yea once again my point was on caribbean culture being more popular in the west than african.

you will find afrobeats played at black clubs.

you won't find it played at racially mixed 50% white clubs.

but you will find bashment.

Original post by Rlove95

I have nothing against Caribbeans just like how I hope they have nothing against me. The only thing that annoys me is when they suddenly act like they are so much better than Africans and make everything a competition when us Africans are happily ready to welcome them into our communities and cultures since we identify with their history and heritage. We share an understanding due to the fact that we are black minorities in a majority white country. I've always thought we were united not divided really, that's why you get ACS in university and not AS and CS.

and there we go. even yourself someone who thinks you are the same and have no rivalry have just admitted rivalry.

yea in an ideal world africans and caribbeans would unite. but i think theres too much damage done. there are historic issues there. caribbeans can resent africans still having links to africa. or the fact that africans sold slaves to the whites. africans are not so willing to except jamaicans into their community. i've heard africans cuss about jamaicans being good for nothing a lot. the fact you are not aware of this makes me just think you live in a bubble. like if you were admitting it happens but "not all the time" i'd respect the point more. but you're not so i just don't believe u. yea but the acs at my uni was basically the african society. jamaicans made up like 1/3 of the audience and trickled out after the 1st year.
Original post by knightmaire
This.
My experiences support near enough everything you've just said.
I generally don't get what what there is to be jealous of really. I'm proud of the fact that my Grandmother came here to England and had 3 jobs at the same time to support my aunts, mother and uncles. But when i talk to my Nigerian friends, it kind of seems like none of their Grandparents have worked as hard to get where they are. I hardly hear of it. My family may be working class here in ENgland, but in Jamaica, I'm actually upperclass, but we don't brag about it.
In my general expirience, the snobbishness passes down through generations. My other working class friends find it awkward to go around thier houses and often they insult the area I live in. Plus, I hear horrible things like 'You don't know who your father is', when I do. I'm part cuban(latin) and Taino Jamaican, to whom family is everything. Absolutely everything. It's not only in Jamica, but the whole Carribbean, because when push comes to shove, Us Carribbeans can all unite.
And the hair thing. I just don't get it. Alot of Jamicans and I gues Carribeans, keep their natural hair. If you see a person with a weave or relaxed hair, they're usually over 16/18 as we think that relaxers etc, are just not suitable for childeren. I for one have never had extentions, weave, relaxer or anything like that in my hair. Ever. (I've dyed it burgundy though, I got bored). I love my hair. I just don't leave my hair out much because it's really light and so a little bit of wind moves it easily and I hate hair going into my face and having to fix it every few seconds. Especially when curly hair tangles easily.

What ethnicity are you btw?

yea exactly, the reason you don't brag about it is because its a different culture.
oppressed peoples have a "david and goliath" mind set. where we are proud to have had the hard times and that we are now fighting against the odds to victory. so when you meet other poor people you understand that sometimes there's a reason people are poor and that it's not just because they're lazy or stupid. a lot of nigerians especially the recent wave of nigerians are from wealthy families in nigeria. africa can have some really troubling ideas of class. for example i've seen pictures where chiefs and kings or general tribal leaders have used other people as chairs to sit on. or have little serving minion types who cannot raise their head above their knees and stuff. there's a kinda "haha you're poor" mentality there.
and it's annoying that some lost their riches and come over to the uk as refugees n then try and claim snob status from their rich back ground AND claim david v goliath hardship stories too.

yea africans will insult the area. for them its a place they arrived in and want to get out of as soon as. whereas a lot of jamaicans and caribbeans had to really work and quite literally FIGHT the police and gangs of skinheads to stay where they are. so theres a sense of community history to the areas.

yea i've heard the "you don't know you're dad" or "you got sold for a bag of salt" stuff before.

a lot of the family issues in the jamaican community i think is there's a lot of damage still done from slavery that effects the family dynamics.

but more importantly most of the caribbean immigrants to the uk came over SINGLE. whereas many africans have brought their whole family over.

in fact even jamaicans who had families would still come over single as they could only afford their own trip. then they would earn their money in the uk and pay for their family to come later.

wow taino and cuban? thats very rare. never heard it called taino i usually hear arawak. arawaks are taino though right?

sadly most of the city jamaicans don't keep natural. or a lot of the recent jamaican immigrants to the uk don't keep natural. which is a shame.

but yea im fully gassed about natural hair. especially how rare it is nowadays. i probably read far too much into it. but i've known too many girls who literally have never been taught how to look after their natural hair by their mothers. n i have known girls who go natural and dispell all the myths about it being easier and stuff. but when i see a girl with natural hair think either she knows how to look after it or even if she doesnt shes willing to put in the work to find out and make it work. i think theres a level of pride, confidence and dedication with natural hair thats very attractive. but at the same time i'm a fan of creativity decoration and stylish flare. but i think theres quite a difference in trying to make it look like you're natural hair is straight hair. and then customising you're hair by putting colours in or what not.

I'm white (irish) btw.
Reply 198
Original post by Mick.w
yea exactly, the reason you don't brag about it is because its a different culture.
oppressed peoples have a "david and goliath" mind set. where we are proud to have had the hard times and that we are now fighting against the odds to victory. so when you meet other poor people you understand that sometimes there's a reason people are poor and that it's not just because they're lazy or stupid. a lot of nigerians especially the recent wave of nigerians are from wealthy families in nigeria. africa can have some really troubling ideas of class. for example i've seen pictures where chiefs and kings or general tribal leaders have used other people as chairs to sit on. or have little serving minion types who cannot raise their head above their knees and stuff. there's a kinda "haha you're poor" mentality there.
and it's annoying that some lost their riches and come over to the uk as refugees n then try and claim snob status from their rich back ground AND claim david v goliath hardship stories too.

yea africans will insult the area. for them its a place they arrived in and want to get out of as soon as. whereas a lot of jamaicans and caribbeans had to really work and quite literally FIGHT the police and gangs of skinheads to stay where they are. so theres a sense of community history to the areas.

yea i've heard the "you don't know you're dad" or "you got sold for a bag of salt" stuff before.

a lot of the family issues in the jamaican community i think is there's a lot of damage still done from slavery that effects the family dynamics.

but more importantly most of the caribbean immigrants to the uk came over SINGLE. whereas many africans have brought their whole family over.

in fact even jamaicans who had families would still come over single as they could only afford their own trip. then they would earn their money in the uk and pay for their family to come later.

wow taino and cuban? thats very rare. never heard it called taino i usually hear arawak. arawaks are taino though right?

sadly most of the city jamaicans don't keep natural. or a lot of the recent jamaican immigrants to the uk don't keep natural. which is a shame.

but yea im fully gassed about natural hair. especially how rare it is nowadays. i probably read far too much into it. but i've known too many girls who literally have never been taught how to look after their natural hair by their mothers. n i have known girls who go natural and dispell all the myths about it being easier and stuff. but when i see a girl with natural hair think either she knows how to look after it or even if she doesnt shes willing to put in the work to find out and make it work. i think theres a level of pride, confidence and dedication with natural hair thats very attractive. but at the same time i'm a fan of creativity decoration and stylish flare. but i think theres quite a difference in trying to make it look like you're natural hair is straight hair. and then customising you're hair by putting colours in or what not.

I'm white (irish) btw.

Err no it isn't
Original post by Ebuwa
Err no it isn't

its improving yea. but its still in the minority.

go through you're friends list on facebook see how many have their natural hair out in their profile pic.

i know people that work in the pro-natural hair industry and they would be better suited to argue with you. but they all say its still really bad.

i could also walk outside my house right now and stand on the corner and look at every black girl that walks by we'd be waiting a very long time before someone with their natural hair came by.

Quick Reply

Latest