The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Huskaris
There are too many extremists on both sides of this argument, the Israeli ones are more educated, more media savvy, and financially better off. If there is a bias, I am dam sure which side it is on.

How would you go about explaining the 'pinned' status of Israel/Gaza on the BBC's front page for the last 3 weeks?

We didn't have this with Ukraine and just as many people have died there, including many civilians.
Original post by Pinzgauer
How would you go about explaining the 'pinned' status of Israel/Gaza on the BBC's front page for the last 3 weeks?

We didn't have this with Ukraine and just as many people have died there, including many civilians.

Because people have an opinion and are interested in the Arab-Israeli conflict, people don't have any interest in Ukraine.
Original post by rich2606
Today the BBC story said "Palestinian officials say 1,115 Palestinians, most of them civilians, have been killed in the fighting since 8 July while Israel has lost 53 soldiers and three civilians - two Israelis and a Thai worker."

Frankly they can only go on the information they have been given. Even before you factor in the inevitable bias from the "Palestinian officials", they are unlikely to know an accurate number, and the exact civilian/fighter breakdown of the casualties anyway, whereas Israel will account for every single one of it's soldiers. I'm inclined to give the BBC the benefit of the doubt on this one.

You make a decent point and of course Hamas have been known to strip fighters of their fighting gear and present them as civilians.

However, it's giving a very distorted view.

When reporting from Syria, the BBC always included the caveat "this could not be independently verified"

How come we don't hear that in this conflict with Gaza?

Hamas control the Health Ministry. They control the hospitals. They control the media.

They have all the tools needed to skew the figures.

Given their past history about lying over casualties, I would have assumed the BBC would be more careful - but it is more sinister I'm afraid.

Not only does it inflame the conflict (Hamas needs casualty headline) it's inflaming racism against Jews in Europe.

Why not say "Hamas official report 1,100 dead, but this could not be independently verified"
Diary of some bog standard Palestinian.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/28/four-days-under-siege-gaza-diary-palestinian

Above diary also mentions a hospital getting bombed. :rolleyes:
Excuses, excuses, excuses.

More excuses for terrorism, looking for any small reason to excuse rampant terrorism.

Please point out where exactly I excused Hamas? You claimed Land for peace was tried, I responded that it wasn't.

So let's say the disengagement from Gaza wasn't 100% perfect for them.

Strawman. It's not about whether it's what Hamas wants or not, it's about the fact that there is a process for ending an occupation and criteria by which it can be judged to have ended. Gaza does not remotely fulfill these criteria.

Surely any normal people would have seized the chance to prove they can govern?

They did - Hamas contested and won elections in 2006. The West then imposed sanctions and Israel responded by withholding taxes, raiding Gaza (and destroying infrastructure) and arresting Hamas MPs and ministers.
Reply 2965
block of houses gets completely leveled By Israeli airstrikes in 1 hour

[video="youtube;ud5tKtS5GSY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud5tKtS5GSY[/video]
You make a decent point and of course Hamas have been known to strip fighters of their fighting gear and present them as civilians.

However, it's giving a very distorted view.

When reporting from Syria, the BBC always included the caveat "this could not be independently verified"

How come we don't hear that in this conflict with Gaza?

Hamas control the Health Ministry. They control the hospitals. They control the media.

They have all the tools needed to skew the figures.

Given their past history about lying over casualties, I would have assumed the BBC would be more careful - but it is more sinister I'm afraid.

Not only does it inflame the conflict (Hamas needs casualty headline) it's inflaming racism against Jews in Europe.

Why not say "Hamas official report 1,100 dead, but this could not be independently verified"

The Hamas figures aren't much higher than the UN ones, or even those of the pro-Israel ITIC.
Original post by tsr1269
I'm confused. I thought the Iron Dome was a "defense" system...

Yes, but they're not going to stand by idly as rockets are being fired at their defense system. It's not impenetrable, it's not infallible, and they'd be stupid to rely on just that to defend them.

When there is a serious threat, it's not just about deflecting each hit, it's about defense in the long term, and that involves destroying the root of the problem, i.e. Hamas (at this stage).
Original post by miavdbt
Yes, but they're not going to stand by idly as rockets are being fired at their defense system. It's not impenetrable, it's not infallible, and they'd be stupid to rely on just that to defend them.

Why? Because it doesn't work as advertised?

When there is a serious threat, it's not just about deflecting each hit, it's about defense in the long term, and that involves destroying the root of the problem, i.e. Hamas (at this stage).

So by attacking Gaza, Israel is "destroying the root of the problem"?

Because Ukraine has been happening over the course of several months. Unlike Gaza there's less to report on a day-to-day basis. Reporting on conflicts can tend to fade a bit as they go on for longer.
Original post by aka r
block of houses gets completely leveled By Israeli airstrikes in 1 hour

Civilians had been evacuated.

Tunnels came from under those homes.
Civilians had been evacuated.

Tunnels came from under those homes.

Where are these tunnels going? Around Gaza or into Israel?
Original post by anarchism101
Because Ukraine has been happening over the course of several months. Unlike Gaza there's less to report on a day-to-day basis. Reporting on conflicts can tend to fade a bit as they go on for longer.

Ok, there's currently ethnic cleansing of a 2,000 year old Christian population in Mosul?

All I'm saying is that NO conflict or incident gets as much press as this.

Syria got a few days as the main headline at the beginning of the conflict, then drifted in and out of the headline.

The Israel/Gaza thing has literally been pinned, It moved down a slot after MH17 for a day, then back to the biggest headline.

There's more of a focus on Israel than any other nation. This is fact.
Original post by tsr1269
Where are these tunnels going? Around Gaza or into Israel?

Both.

Tunnels cross Gaza so they can transport rockets/weapons from one side to the other.

Then there's tunnels from Gaza into Israel. I believe the ones in the video are such tunnels.

Then there's tunnels into Egypt which have actually existed since the 1980's.
Ok, there's currently ethnic cleansing of a 2,000 year old Christian population in Mosul?

All I'm saying is that NO conflict or incident gets as much press as this.

Syria got a few days as the main headline at the beginning of the conflict, then drifted in and out of the headline.

The Israel/Gaza thing has literally been pinned, It moved down a slot after MH17 for a day, then back to the biggest headline.

There's more of a focus on Israel than any other nation. This is fact.

Well, when you put yourself on a pedestal...
Both.

Tunnels cross Gaza so they can transport rockets/weapons from one side to the other.

Then there's tunnels from Gaza into Israel. I believe the ones in the video are such tunnels.

Then there's tunnels into Egypt which have actually existed since the 1980's.

And a ground invasion is the only way to get rid of the tunnels which go into Israel?
Original post by tsr1269
Why? Because it doesn't work as advertised?

So by attacking Gaza, Israel is "destroying the root of the problem"?

By attacking Hamas, which happens to be in Gaza.

Of course it's not infallible. Nothing is. You'd be an idiot to believe that any system is.

Original post by tsr1269
And a ground invasion is the only way to get rid of the tunnels which go into Israel?

Can you think of any other ways?
Original post by miavdbt
By attacking Hamas, which happens to be in Gaza.

May I ask what is the point of bombing an empty home? Or maybe you would like to explain why the Israeli's warn the Palestinians before launching missiles or bombs at them?

Of course it's not infallible. Nothing is. You'd be an idiot to believe that any system is.

How many Israeli deaths are acceptable before one can start an invasion?

Can you think of any other ways?

Carpet bomb the 1KM buffer zone?
Original post by tsr1269
May I ask what is the point of bombing an empty home? Or maybe you would like to explain why the Israeli's warn the Palestinians before launching missiles or bombs at them?

We discussed the definition of a military target in a previous exchange. I would imagine the empty home fell under the definition of a military target.

The Israelis warn the Palestinians because they have to warn civilians that bombings will occur near them. I believe that this is under International Law, at least according to a UN report that was posted on here recently.

How many Israeli deaths are acceptable before one can start an invasion?

In my opinion exactly 0. Agressors should be dealt with as soon as there is a risk to anyone's life. And that should hold true for any government that values its people's lives.

Carpet bomb the 1KM buffer zone?

Seems a bit risky to rely on carpet bombing to destroy the tunnels. They're looking for precision. Especially when these tunnels are being used to kidnap Israeli civilians and soldiers alike.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending