The Student Room Group

Will antidepressants help?

I don't want to make this a dissertation length so I will keep it as brief as possible.

It is hard to say whether my mental state is depressed or sad. Could be a small percentage of both.

But to cut a long story short there was a female that I met last summer, she is from Turkey but was in England attending an English school.

Met her we liked each other went out in London and connected a lot and was even passionate together since then talked a lot online and on WhatsApp.

A month ago (a year later) went out to Turkey to see her.

Now it seems that MAYBE we accept how hard it will be due to the distance and plus we come from different backgrounds.

And it seems as if we have kinda floated apart so to speak.

And I am going through a tough time.

Every morning I wake up in my bed I am just cold inside.

Even at the gym I am just miserable.

Listening to Beyonce's Brown Eyes track over and over and over and over and over and over again whilst simultaneously watching Airbus A380 compilation videos on YouTube.

Yes I love her but it is more the realisation.

Starting to eat a lot, eating 6 trays of Muller Corner yogurts at once, trying to get some kind of comfort, it is phenomenal that I am still slim and in shape.

But I am just very sad inside and unhappy.

Odd occasion been crying to myself as well.

At home I don't want to talk much, I just want to stay inside my room on the laptop or play on the PlayStation.

I want to go to the doctor and ask for antidepressants, however I must be careful because I am applying for my PGCE come the Autumn and if there are medical checks (which I should imagine there will be) and they see I was on antidepressants I don't want that the effect me getting a place.

But if I can get good consistent therapy at least I need that help.

But I am not happy at all, and MONEY means nothing!

It really is true money can not buy happiness, has 5hit to do with your bank balance.
Sounds like a broken heart :frown:
Yes they could help, but nobody can tell you for sure. They normally work better in combination with some form of counseling or CBT, but I don't know if you would be up for that.

With regards to PGCE, they wouldn't turn you down just for being on ant-depressants. Not only would be discrimination against a disability, but also a surprisingly large number of people are on it.
Hello,

I've just finished my PGCE and yes, there is a form you need to fill out regarding your mental health. However, if you are offered a placeanything you do say on the form is strictly confidential and will not be passed on to any of your tutors. After getting a place I had to declare that I had been seeing a counsellor during my final year at university (I still got a place) and now I've also had to declare that Im taking anti depressants (this hasn't affected me getting a job).

Beware, the PGCE is a really tough year. But if it's what you want! Go for it! Good luck x
Reply 4
The truth is that antidepressents rarely work for anyone. There is little evidence that they are significantly better than placebo.
Original post by xjay1234
I don't want to make this a dissertation length so I will keep it as brief as possible.

It is hard to say whether my mental state is depressed or sad. Could be a small percentage of both.

But to cut a long story short there was a female that I met last summer, she is from Turkey but was in England attending an English school.

Met her we liked each other went out in London and connected a lot and was even passionate together since then talked a lot online and on WhatsApp.

Now it seems that MAYBE we accept how hard it will be due to the distance and plus we come from different backgrounds.

Listening to Beyonce's Brown Eyes track over and over and over and over and over and over again whilst simultaneously watching Airbus A380 compilation videos on YouTube.

Starting to eat a lot, eating 6 trays of Muller Corner yogurts at once, trying to get some kind of comfort, it is phenomenal that I am still slim and in shape.

At home I don't want to talk much, I just want to stay inside my room on the laptop or play on the PlayStation.

I want to go to the doctor and ask for antidepressants, however I must be careful because I am applying for my PGCE come the Autumn and if there are medical checks (which I should imagine there will be) and they see I was on antidepressants I don't want that the effect me getting a place.

It really is true money can not buy happiness, has 5hit to do with your bank balance.

Yes it can, you just need to have an awful lot of it - say enough to never have to work again...
Reply 6
Original post by nevergiveupsoap
Sounds like a broken heart :frown:

Yeah.....it is rough at the moment.
Reply 7
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Yes it can, you just need to have an awful lot of it - say enough to never have to work again...

MONEY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR HAPPINESS MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you still have unresolved mental issues of the pass whether it is with a girl or your parents or whatever. Then you are never truly happy.

That is why we spend all our money and crap we don't need such as jewellery, expensive shoes and a £20,000 car trying to BUY happiness.

Happiness can not be purchased! You can be a £30,000 a year family with your beautiful wife and one child and be VERY HAPPY in your basic 3 bedroom home.

Happiness has nothing to do with a mansion house or a Lamborghini but the capitalist society teaches us to be happy even when we are not.

The 3 keys of happiness.

FIRST: HEALTH mental and physical health!

SECOND: If you are happy with your career/job

THIRD: If you have PURPOSE in life which helps OTHERS.

MONEY HAS NOTHING to do with it!

People who have PEACE OFF MIND don't need to spend money, except for the basic such as bills. That is it.

Believe me I am 24 now, when I was 19 I was all about MONEY and going to the club and dreaming to make it rain on now good females who are skanks off the earth,but that is not happiness. That is just a rush of pleasure. Nothing to do with happiness.
Reply 8
Original post by Jay84
The truth is that antidepressents rarely work for anyone. There is little evidence that they are significantly better than placebo.

I had a feeling about that, but in the 21st Century we run for the pill for all kinds of things....
Reply 9
Original post by Les fleurs du mal
Hello,

I've just finished my PGCE and yes, there is a form you need to fill out regarding your mental health. However, if you are offered a placeanything you do say on the form is strictly confidential and will not be passed on to any of your tutors. After getting a place I had to declare that I had been seeing a counsellor during my final year at university (I still got a place) and now I've also had to declare that Im taking anti depressants (this hasn't affected me getting a job).

Beware, the PGCE is a really tough year. But if it's what you want! Go for it! Good luck x

Yes because I have the PGCE preparation to focus on it take my mind off her. But it is hard of course.

But thanks for the information.

Yes I know it will be a tough year come 2015/16. By then my mind will be in a much better place.

Thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by I love shopping
Yes they could help, but nobody can tell you for sure. They normally work better in combination with some form of counseling or CBT, but I don't know if you would be up for that.

With regards to PGCE, they wouldn't turn you down just for being on ant-depressants. Not only would be discrimination against a disability, but also a surprisingly large number of people are on it.

What is CBT?
What is CBT?

Cognitive behaviour therapy. It works by challenging the way you think. I think you can try doing it online yourself if you don't want to talk to someone, but you need to get access from your GP.
MONEY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR HAPPINESS MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you still have unresolved mental issues of the pass whether it is with a girl or your parents or whatever. Then you are never truly happy.

That is why we spend all our money and crap we don't need such as jewellery, expensive shoes and a £20,000 car trying to BUY happiness.

Happiness can not be purchased! You can be a £30,000 a year family with your beautiful wife and one child and be VERY HAPPY in your basic 3 bedroom home.

Happiness has nothing to do with a mansion house or a Lamborghini but the capitalist society teaches us to be happy even when we are not.

The 3 keys of happiness.

FIRST: HEALTH mental and physical health!

SECOND: If you are happy with your career/job

THIRD: If you have PURPOSE in life which helps OTHERS.

MONEY HAS NOTHING to do with it!

People who have PEACE OFF MIND don't need to spend money, except for the basic such as bills. That is it.

Believe me I am 24 now, when I was 19 I was all about MONEY and going to the club and dreaming to make it rain on now good females who are skanks off the earth,but that is not happiness. That is just a rush of pleasure. Nothing to do with happiness.

People who overuse capitals and quotation marks on the internet are either trying to sell you something or they themselves have what you call unresolved mental issues..

Now, I never said anything about purchasing happiness directly. Now, being filthy rich would basically make 80% of your problems go away for a start.

If you are worried about gold diggers? friends taking advantage? well, firstly you need not tell people you are rich, and second you'd soon learn who is genuine and who isn't proving you're no simpleton of course.

Like i said it won't buy you happiness directly, but being rich would allow you to buy happiness indirectly; since it is not a commodity which can be purchased directly - so it allows you the time and money to do and have the things you want in life. You can now set and achieve your life goals with less encumbrances and more resources.

You are essentially positioning yourself in society.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13

:console: How was maths?:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
People who overuse capitals and quotation marks on the internet are either trying to sell you something or they themselves have what you call unresolved mental issues..

Now, I never said anything about purchasing happiness directly. Now, being filthy rich would basically make 80% of your problems go away for a start.

If you are worried about gold diggers? friends taking advantage? well, firstly you need not tell people you are rich, and second you'd soon learn who is genuine and who isn't proving you're no simpleton of course.

Like i said it won't buy you happiness directly, but being rich would allow you to buy happiness indirectly; since it is not a commodity which can be purchased directly - so it allows you the time and money to do and have the things you want in life. You can now set and achieve your life goals with less encumbrances and more resources.

You are essentially positioning yourself in society.

I am not concerned about gold diggers.

But money really doesn't equal happiness.

Now you say if I was rich 80% of my problems would go away. Not very sure. What would make me happy is having that real close assurance with her and knowing for sure our future would end up together.

Okay let me try and explain this, she is not a skank. She is a true feminine woman! She is delicate! Has such feminine qualities! Beautiful hands! Great mind. Mmmmm just RARE!

It is amazing. Cos the 21st Century teaches females to be a man and challenge a man on ALL fronts. That is not that type of woman I like!!!!!!!!

So with HER it was phenomenal. Made me feel good inside.

So with all this yes there is an unresolved mental issue for me you are damn right! Every time I see something on TV about Turkey BANG she comes to mind, every time I hear the subject of relationship and love BANG she comes to mind, every time I try to look at another female I can't cos they don't really match up with her BANG she comes to mind.

Now of course going through this issue and heartbreak MONEY really is not something I care for. Peace of mind is more important than money.

Having Queen Elizabeth papers in my wallet is not going to take his pain away.

Having a Bugatti Veyron will give me a rush of pleasure! But it will not give me peace of mind.

Money is just numbers. As I said earlier can be a 30 or even a 25k a year family with that right woman and your child. You are HAPPY.

Happiness nothing to do with the external.
Reply 15
Original post by arfah
:console: How was maths?:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths is alright....

But this sadness I am going through, I know I need to slap out of it. Because it sucks being in bed at 2pm in the afternoon with the sun out and I am miserable inside....

Quick Reply

Latest