The Student Room Group
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website

UU Health Sciences - new starts 2014

Figure it'd be useful to start a new thread instead of piggybacking off the HPAT one. I just got an email explaining registration for my course (Radiotherapy and Oncology, whoop!).

Access NI checks, medical checks, registration, induction days...eep! All that besides - does anyone else have a clue what to do about the NHS funding/bursary? Will we be prompted about it later? I haven't heard anything about it, although I know we're not the same as England...plus I'm not eligible for a 2nd student loan.

Anyone else out there? :P Might be a bit early, but I thought I'd put this out there. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Spacecat
Figure it'd be useful to start a new thread instead of piggybacking off the HPAT one. I just got an email explaining registration for my course (Radiotherapy and Oncology, whoop!).

Access NI checks, medical checks, registration, induction days...eep! All that besides - does anyone else have a clue what to do about the NHS funding/bursary? Will we be prompted about it later? I haven't heard anything about it, although I know we're not the same as England...plus I'm not eligible for a 2nd student loan.

Anyone else out there? :P Might be a bit early, but I thought I'd put this out there. :smile:

Exciting that's what I've firmed too!
Haven't received any emails though.
I applied to student finance and they said that they then pass on your details to the NHS who then see if you're eligible for the NHS bursary :smile: so even if you are not eligible for a student loan it may even be worth giving student finance a call to see how you would apply for the NHS funding!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey guys, I've got a place on OT at UUJ starting September 2014, I called Student Finance to check eligibility for the NHS bursary, because I've been to uni before (non-NHS course) so I knew I couldn't apply for a second student loan but I thought I would still be able to apply for the NHS bursary, having never received it before. They told me no, that I couldn't apply, even though I argued that in England you are entitled to apply for the NHS bursary even if you have previously received a student loan, I'm not sure why we are treated differently over here, but that's what I was told. If you hear anything different, can you let me know? It feels quite unfair to be honest. Thanks!
I am going to study nursing, and i have been on the phone to student finance around 5 times, yesterday I had the manager of student finance call me and told me i was entitled to nothing as i was doing nursing and I am only entitled to the bursary. The nursing bursary is just going to cover my rent and no more, i feel so stressed and so lost as to what i should do next or who to turn to in regards of student finance and I know girls that have done nursing before and couldn't work so they must have received a loan from somewhere :-/
Reply 4
Hmm. I've been told that I'm not eligible for the bursary, but that I'll be able to get the NHS to cover the fees, plus a reduced rate maintenance loan of just under 2 and a half grand. I'm not as screwed as I thought I was...this is why I'm still filling in my PN1 form, because all the bloody questionnaires do not apply to my circumstances, all the available information is based on England and the people on the phone, as nice as they are, are a bit lost themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm. I've been told that I'm not eligible for the bursary, but that I'll be able to get the NHS to cover the fees, plus a reduced rate maintenance loan of just under 2 and a half grand. I'm not as screwed as I thought I was...this is why I'm still filling in my PN1 form, because all the bloody questionnaires do not apply to my circumstances, all the available information is based on England and the people on the phone, as nice as they are, are a bit lost themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what course are you doing at uni
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spacecat, I couldn't have said it better myself. Did you get a full student loan the first time u went to uni or why is it that u qualify for a reduced maintenance loan? I've been told I am entitled to apply for nothing. They don't even seem sure I'll get the fees covered by NHS! It's so annoying!
Reply 7
Original post by RazDaz
Spacecat, I couldn't have said it better myself. Did you get a full student loan the first time u went to uni or why is it that u qualify for a reduced maintenance loan? I've been told I am entitled to apply for nothing. They don't even seem sure I'll get the fees covered by NHS! It's so annoying!

You'll get the fees covered, I'm almost 100 percent sure about that. They did say that I wasn't eligible for the non-repayable bursary, I'd get my fees paid but my maintenance would have to be paid back - I was told at first that I wasn't entitled to anything other than the fees, although then this was changed to "you can get a loan but not a grant." I got a maintenance loan for the first two years of this first degree, didn't take anything for the third year since I was living at home and had some savings. I was told that since it was an NHS funded course, regardless of what study I've done before I'm entitled to a loan for living expenses, something about it being a protected course. I've been told to put down all the details for my radiotherapy course, apply for the £3656 or whatever fee loan, and then student finance will pass it on to the DHSSPS who will pay the fees, but we don't contact the DHSSPS directly. I'm submitting my PN1 and hoping for the best...
You'll get the fees covered, I'm almost 100 percent sure about that. They did say that I wasn't eligible for the non-repayable bursary, I'd get my fees paid but my maintenance would have to be paid back - I was told at first that I wasn't entitled to anything other than the fees, although then this was changed to "you can get a loan but not a grant." I got a maintenance loan for the first two years of this first degree, didn't take anything for the third year since I was living at home and had some savings. I was told that since it was an NHS funded course, regardless of what study I've done before I'm entitled to a loan for living expenses, something about it being a protected course. I've been told to put down all the details for my radiotherapy course, apply for the £3656 or whatever fee loan, and then student finance will pass it on to the DHSSPS who will pay the fees, but we don't contact the DHSSPS directly. I'm submitting my PN1 and hoping for the best...

How did you apply for your maintenance loan? I have been speaking to student finance and the manager of student finance and they have told me if i am entitled to a bursary that i am not entitled to a maintenance loan, can you let me know more on how you went about applying for this?
Reply 9
Original post by brunette1652
How did you apply for your maintenance loan? I have been speaking to student finance and the manager of student finance and they have told me if i am entitled to a bursary that i am not entitled to a maintenance loan, can you let me know more on how you went about applying for this?

Yeah, I've heard that it's either bursary or loan, not both. I'm not sure though. You fill in the PN1 form as usual I think, apparently sfni will get in touch later? I haven't finished my form yet though...don't take anything I've said as gospel by the way, I'm still confused myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I've heard that it's either bursary or loan, not both. I'm not sure though. You fill in the PN1 form as usual I think, apparently sfni will get in touch later? I haven't finished my form yet though...don't take anything I've said as gospel by the way, I'm still confused myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did fill in the PN1 form and student finance ni rang me and said nursing students are not entitled to any form or loan, maintenance loan etc as we get a bursary. Really need to sort out some way of finance, my bursary just covers my rent and not much more.
Hey guys, I really want to study radiotherapy and oncology, however my exams haven't gone so well and I don't think I've met my offer. Is there any chance I could still apply for this course? Would it be in clearing? And lastly are there any similar courses in London?
Reply 12
Original post by imconfused
Hey guys, I really want to study radiotherapy and oncology, however my exams haven't gone so well and I don't think I've met my offer. Is there any chance I could still apply for this course? Would it be in clearing? And lastly are there any similar courses in London?

We had to do an aptitude test for entry to these courses which was in January. You have to apply for 2015 September entry and grades are BBB inc one science from Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths or Double Award Applied Science.
Reply 13
Well, got a very nice phonecall from my education and library board telling me that I'm entitled to absolutely nothing, but that my fees might be covered. Might. She has no idea if there's anything else to fill in or if I should just go to UUJ on the induction days and hope that it's okay. Not getting any luck contacting the DHSSPS to confirm, either. :eek:
Reply 14
I'm in the exact same boat - just praying they don't refuse to cover my fees when the time comes! My friend who was in the same position started uni last year and got her fees paid so I'm crossing my fingers they haven't changed the rules otherwise no uni for me! :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by RazDaz
I'm in the exact same boat - just praying they don't refuse to cover my fees when the time comes! My friend who was in the same position started uni last year and got her fees paid so I'm crossing my fingers they haven't changed the rules otherwise no uni for me! :frown:

Okay, got an answer from UU. Your fees will be covered, no extra documentation needed, just dander on in on your first day worry free :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hi what nursing are you doing? I'm starting general this year?
Reply 17
Place on occupational therapy in September confirmed! :biggrin:
Starting radiotherapy and oncology in September :smile:
Hey! I started the Diagnostic Radiography course in Jordanstown last year and left as it wasn't for me! So I have all the books you need which I am selling for a reduced rate they are basically like brand new with some of them not even opened if anyone's interested !

Quick Reply

Latest