The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
AM have actually probably improved if anything, they always seem to land on their feet when they lose players...

They are looking to add Santi Cazorla to their ranks.
Original post by Icecream1
They are looking to add Santi Cazorla to their ranks.

Tbh they are welcome to him for £20m+. Personally see Santi as about as far away from an Atletico player as you can get with his work-rate and loathing to be fixed to a specific system...
Original post by Zürich
AM have actually probably improved if anything, they always seem to land on their feet when they lose players...

It's crazy to think that Costa's sale has almost payed for Mandzukic, who I think is better suited to their system than Costa, and Griezmann.

We really should've brought him to the Emirates. Mandzu and Oli G up front would make Suarez and Sturridge look like novices.
Original post by Stalin
It's crazy to think that Costa's sale has almost payed for Mandzukic, who I think is better suited to their system than Costa, and Griezmann.

We really should've brought him to the Emirates. Mandzu and Oli G up front would make Suarez and Sturridge look like novices.

:laugh: Wouldnt go that far but I really rate Mandzukic, think as hold up men go he's arguably more effective than Ibrahimovic in his own way.

And yeah getting Mandzukic and Greizmann for Costa's price is unbelievable from AM, they always seem to pull off something like that when they sell a player.
Original post by Zürich
:laugh: Wouldnt go that far but I really rate Mandzukic, think as hold up men go he's arguably more effective than Ibrahimovic in his own way.

And yeah getting Mandzukic and Greizmann for Costa's price is unbelievable from AM, they always seem to pull off something like that when they sell a player.

Wenger hasn't thought it about enough. Imagine if we're chasing a game:

Mandzu Oli G
Sanchez Ozil Walcott
Diaby

Phoaaa

Brilliant read, thanks for sharing.
Do Barcelona do season review Blu Rays, in English?

Yep great article, even though I didn't understand it all properly.

One quote from a commenter sums up my feelings perfectly:

"Ronaldo is a superman, Messi is an alien!
Moreno and Manquillo to Liverpool then (Times and Echo reporting that Manquillo is on the verge, and a breakthrough has been made in the valuation for Moreno).

Opinions on the players?

There was a Manquillo discussion a while back on the Liverpool thread, just put Manquillo into the search box.

:lol:
Vermaelen to Barca then? I think he will do well in their system, he is still a good front foot defender even though he needs to eradicate the brain farts he seems to suffer from. I think if Barca switch formation it could prove very effective. Bayern seem to be doing the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Messi's new hairstyle influenced by the very fashionable Kim Jong-Un :rofl:

Original post by TheInvincibles14
Vermaelen to Barca then? I think he will do well in their system, he is still a good front foot defender even though he needs to eradicate the brain farts he seems to suffer from. I think if Barca switch formation it could prove very effective. Bayern seem to be doing the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any competition for CB is good. This is the season I think Pique gets dropped. He's been getting by on reputation now for a few seasons and needs to wake up. Still would prefer we just throw 50m on Benatia...
^I think Messi might regret letting his son loose with the machine judging by that haircut...wonder how long he'll have it for before he goes for the chop.
Reply 6074
Original post by Malevolent

Messi's new hairstyle influenced by the very fashionable Kim Jong-Un :rofl:

Any competition for CB is good. This is the season I think Pique gets dropped. He's been getting by on reputation now for a few seasons and needs to wake up. Still would prefer we just throw 50m on Benatia...

Not getting someone like him means Lucho can get the best out of the talent that is already at the club though. As badly as Bartra may have performed, it's easy to forget how talented he actually is thanks to the horrible man management he's experienced. Wasn't given any notable game time throughout the season only to be thrown into the cold water in games like CL semis vs Bayern (lol) or the copa final thanks to the lack of alternatives. No wonder he'd look bad in those & couldn't build confidence. He's no Varane ofc but if he gets enough playing time to grow, he can easily become one of the two first-choice CBs for the future. Lucho got the most out of him at the B team so should be the right man to get him to the next level in the first team as well; and judging from the pre-season games he seems to trust him as much as Piqué (and rightly so atm). Ié, while too young & not yet ready to be promoted this summer, has too much talent to just ignore too and is one of the Masia kids with q guaranteed first team future (along with Samper, Munir; Hali if you wanna count him). Getting someone like Mathieu, who's good enough to start as CB now but too old to clog the spot for the next few years, helps the transition to relying on these players while at the same time offering a solid alternative for the time it takes for those to be ready.

Of course, in an ideal world Barça would have bought Silva when he was available, Marquinhos when he was available, Mathieu last season etc, but that ship has sailed. That said, Mathieu is hugely underrated. He's been one of the best CBs in la liga & offers exactly what Barça lacked since Abi's departure, the only "downside" being his age (& perhaps looks, lol). With Mathieu, Piqué, Bartra + whoever else comes in, you don't have the best defence in the world, but good enough options to solve the defensive problems of the last few seasons. And with competition, Piqué might actually get back to his best again. Needs somebody to yell at him though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Jesus christ Bale looks absolutely massive!

I mean seriously... :eek:
Falcao to Real looks set to be completed, Galatico's: the sequel begins.

I have no idea how they are going to fit all of that attacking firepower into the team without losing balance. They (Florentino, I'm looking at you ) messed it up last time with the whole Makalele debacle. The Madrid defence is suspect and can be got at especially in the wide areas, with players like Di Maria moving that means less cover for them.
Holy ****. Falcao to Madrid.

Perez needs to take it easy on the MDMA man...

Also you'd think that Benzema is going as well now?
(edited 9 years ago)
That attack is just unreal! If Carlo can balance that team, it's going to be a force.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest