The Student Room Group

Need help finding a headset PC/Xbox 360

so i'm looking for a gaming headset, but unfortunately finding it really hard to find one that meets my requirements. so these are my requirements:

1. ideally both PC and Xbox360 compatible, I play on 360 more but have decided to start gaming on PC more cause i'm wasting good specs. however i don't want to get PC ones and then they not work for xbox since i use it more
2. looking to spend around £40, willing to push up to 60/70 at a push. i'd love to spend more but just can't afford it atm.
3. ideally wanting 7.1 surround sound, i found some pretty good ones on amazon for around £30 but turned out they were just PC compatible
4. really don't want the turtle beach, skull candy or sades just heard too many bad things about these. unfortunately these seem to be the only ones coming up meeting other said requirements. i'm open to any other ideas provided they fit the requirements.

i'm getting nowhere, please help :smile:
Original post by AKWxxx
so i'm looking for a gaming headset, but unfortunately finding it really hard to find one that meets my requirements. so these are my requirements:

1. ideally both PC and Xbox360 compatible, I play on 360 more but have decided to start gaming on PC more cause i'm wasting good specs. however i don't want to get PC ones and then they not work for xbox since i use it more
2. looking to spend around £40, willing to push up to 60/70 at a push. i'd love to spend more but just can't afford it atm.
3. ideally wanting 7.1 surround sound, i found some pretty good ones on amazon for around £30 but turned out they were just PC compatible
4. really don't want the turtle beach, skull candy or sades just heard too many bad things about these. unfortunately these seem to be the only ones coming up meeting other said requirements. i'm open to any other ideas provided they fit the requirements.

Try razer or tritton ones. I have a razer kraken 7.1 and it's great, 1 usb port is all it needs :biggrin: A razer kraken is around £60 i think...might have to wait for a sale or buy it from the US :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by infinitytheory
Try razer or tritton ones. I have a razer kraken 7.1 and it's great, 1 usb port is all it needs :biggrin: A razer kraken is around £60 i think...might have to wait for a sale or buy it from the US :wink:

i found the kraken online and was about to get it until i read it doesn't work for 360?
Original post by AKWxxx
i found the kraken online and was about to get it until i read it doesn't work for 360?

:O damnn then i don't know sorry, I'm only a PC gamer xD
Original post by AKWxxx

For the most part, you won't get ANY surround sound headsets that will be compatible with consoles. The Surround will either be in software (so wouldn't work on xbox) or there would be a USB soundcard in the mix somewhere. In both cases it's virtualised surround rather than actual. Actual surround is a waste of money anyway, you only have two ears so you only need two sound sources, and software can very easily virtualise the surround on PC. And example of this (although done in the video audio rather than on your system) can be found here.

I've had a couple of TBs in my time and they aren't actually that bad, but I much prefer wireless with surround.

Another thing to note about surround, is that it will be painful if you ever have to go back to stereo, it just sounds soooo plain.
Reply 5
Original post by infinitytheory
:O damnn then i don't know sorry, I'm only a PC gamer xD

no problem thanks for the help anyways :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Jammy Duel
For the most part, you won't get ANY surround sound headsets that will be compatible with consoles. The Surround will either be in software (so wouldn't work on xbox) or there would be a USB soundcard in the mix somewhere. In both cases it's virtualised surround rather than actual. Actual surround is a waste of money anyway, you only have two ears so you only need two sound sources, and software can very easily virtualise the surround on PC. And example of this (although done in the video audio rather than on your system) can be found here.

I've had a couple of TBs in my time and they aren't actually that bad, but I much prefer wireless with surround.

Another thing to note about surround, is that it will be painful if you ever have to go back to stereo, it just sounds soooo plain.

usb headsets don't work on xbox, theres about 5 different things to plug in but i have found a few that are for PC and xbox, however they are way above my price range. i would rather use a headset because at the moment my amp is plucked into my PC, so the speakers only work when PC gaming and they're not the best anyway. when i'm on xbox i literally use the tv's inbuilt speakers. not good for first person shooter games which i play on quite a bit, which is why i would rather have a headset.

you seem to be more clued up than me, are there any headsets you could link me to at all? with the turtle beach ones i'm just worried about them snapping, i had some skull candy ones and they broke within a month or so. would rather spend more and they last
Original post by AKWxxx
usb headsets don't work on xbox, theres about 5 different things to plug in but i have found a few that are for PC and xbox, however they are way above my price range. i would rather use a headset because at the moment my amp is plucked into my PC, so the speakers only work when PC gaming and they're not the best anyway. when i'm on xbox i literally use the tv's inbuilt speakers. not good for first person shooter games which i play on quite a bit, which is why i would rather have a headset.

you seem to be more clued up than me, are there any headsets you could link me to at all? with the turtle beach ones i'm just worried about them snapping, i had some skull candy ones and they broke within a month or so. would rather spend more and they last

I wouldn't say I'm particularly clued up, I was just looking for a new headset a couple of months back so from that comes the whole surround business. From my experience, as far as snapping goes on the TBs, it shouldn't be an issue unless you have a rather large head or abuse them in some way. I had two, the first cracked because of my larger than average head, and the second started to go because of how I was using it, the mic stopped working (wire was being pulled too much).
Original post by AKWxxx

Hi there buddy had quick look through the replies you had you can convert an existing xbox or PC headset to work with another platform we offer many headsets and adapters to change platforms you also benefit from student discount where you located ?
I have some Turtle Beach x11 which will work for PC and 360. They need USB power to run and I'd highly recommend using a phone charger instead of a PC USB port as PC ports are quite noisy (electronically).
They sound pretty good, have adjustable game, chat and bass levels, are quite comfy and feel OK in terms of build quality. Only thing I need to do now is work out the sweet spot for the Mic so it's loud but doesn't clip.
Why are you getting tensed of it. You can use an xbox 360 headset with PC.
What you need:
-A Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller (don't pay extra for the "PC" compatible version. All you're doing is paying extra for the drivers disk, which you can get for free. As long as the controller is wired it will work on your PC).
-The Xbox 360 headset

1) Get the drivers for the controller at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/download.mspx
2) Download the drivers and run the .exe to install the drivers
3) Plug in your headset to your controller.
4) Plug in your controller into your PC's usb port.
5) Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio (Tab). Under Playback, choose your sound card in your PC. Under Recording, choose XBOX 360 for Windows (Headset). Click Volume for Recording and slide it to maximum.
Reply 11
Original post by AnnaAnderson
Why are you getting tensed of it. You can use an xbox 360 headset with PC.
What you need:
-A Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller (don't pay extra for the "PC" compatible version. All you're doing is paying extra for the drivers disk, which you can get for free. As long as the controller is wired it will work on your PC).
-The Xbox 360 headset

1) Get the drivers for the controller at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/download.mspx
2) Download the drivers and run the .exe to install the drivers
3) Plug in your headset to your controller.
4) Plug in your controller into your PC's usb port.
5) Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio (Tab). Under Playback, choose your sound card in your PC. Under Recording, choose XBOX 360 for Windows (Headset). Click Volume for Recording and slide it to maximum.

i'm not sure what you mean 'getting tensed of it' but yea i already knew i could use a 360 headset for PC, my problem is finding a headset that meets my other requirements.
i also already have a wired controller and drivers installed, which i use regularly on PC. however i don't want a headset that has to be plugged into the controller as opposed to just the PC's usb port,because i often use a mouse and keyboard rather than a controller.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mikeyd85
I have some Turtle Beach x11 which will work for PC and 360. They need USB power to run and I'd highly recommend using a phone charger instead of a PC USB port as PC ports are quite noisy (electronically).
They sound pretty good, have adjustable game, chat and bass levels, are quite comfy and feel OK in terms of build quality. Only thing I need to do now is work out the sweet spot for the Mic so it's loud but doesn't clip.

i really don't like the look of the turtle beach ones from what i've heard, got any other recommendations?
Original post by AKWxxx
i really don't like the look of the turtle beach ones from what i've heard, got any other recommendations?

Why should looks matter if it's on your head?
Reply 14
Original post by Jammy Duel
Why should looks matter if it's on your head?

i don't mean aesthetically, i'm talking in terms of breakability etc
Original post by AKWxxx

I used to have an ear force wired one. It was wired but it could connect to my computer too. They cost quite a bit, but they are very good :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by gandall
I used to have an ear force wired one. It was wired but it could connect to my computer too. They cost quite a bit, but they are very good :biggrin:

can you link me to one please?
Original post by AKWxxx
so i'm looking for a gaming headset,

My recommendations within your budget would be either:

1) Turtle beaches x12 = £40 from Amazon.

If your willing to push your budget up to £70 I would strongly recommend:
2) Turtle beach dpx21

BUT if you have money £130-140 I would strongly recommend:

3) ASTRO a40s. = IDEAL PRO GAMER HEADSET.

Quick Reply

Latest