The Student Room Group

Would the university accept the 2 years of time off?

Sadly, I have committed Adam's sin of being a South Korean male, therefore I will be spending my 21 months in the army or marine corps.

As my country's great generous awesome MoD kindly allows their draftees to choose the day that they want to be drafted (or enslaved), I have concluded that taking 2 years off after my first year of uni would be the best.

So I can comeback, and choose if I will stay in England (if given with chance), or go to somewhere else after the graduation.

But is it generally possible to take 2 years off in the university if given with exceptional circumstances like this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Can you not do it before you start university? then come for the straight three years.

They're likely to be concerned because it's 2 years out of education, and first year is generally for bringing you up to speed and making sure you have all the tools and knowledge to succeed in subsequent years. You're screwing yourself over to go directly into second year after being out for 2 years. By the time you come back, most of your friends from first year will have graduated.

They'll understand you have to do it, but they'd be more inclined to defer your entry than take you, I suppose. Speak to the university in question, but I don't think that timing looks ideal.
Reply 2
Original post by Nymthae
Can you not do it before you start university? then come for the straight three years.

They're likely to be concerned because it's 2 years out of education, and first year is generally for bringing you up to speed and making sure you have all the tools and knowledge to succeed in subsequent years. You're screwing yourself over to go directly into second year after being out for 2 years. By the time you come back, most of your friends from first year will have graduated.

They'll understand you have to do it, but they'd be more inclined to defer your entry than take you, I suppose. Speak to the university in question, but I don't think that timing looks ideal.

I agree

First year it to help you get into studying and prepare you for the degree the fact that you are going to take 2 years out means that this basic knowledge has most likely gone.

Universities will still accept you into the course but I doubt they'll let you enter 2nd year as most universities won't want to take a risk. Lower rank universities may allow you too but I'm not sure

Can you not change the time and go after graduating?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Serve the 2 years and then start university from year 1.
I was in your shoes once. But I'm from Singapore & I served 22 months in the army before going onto university for 3 years. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Nymthae

I'd like to do so, but nope, as there is a difference between UK and SK the age of adult - where UK is 18, SK is 19. So I can only join the military from next year. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Senecaa
Serve the 2 years and then start university from year 1.
I was in your shoes once. But I'm from Singapore & I served 22 months in the army before going onto university for 3 years. :smile:

I'd like to do so, but nope, as there is a difference between UK and SK the age of adult - where UK is 18, SK is 19. So I can only join the military from next year. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Trustno1
I agree

First year it to help you get into studying and prepare you for the degree the fact that you are going to take 2 years out means that this basic knowledge has most likely gone.

Universities will still accept you into the course but I doubt they'll let you enter 2nd year as most universities won't want to take a risk. Lower rank universities may allow you too but I'm not sure

Can you not change the time and go after graduating?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by yws0212

but why does that mean you can't choose to wait to go to university? Do something else while you wait to join the army. You'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage if you do first year and then take 2 years out and I'm willing to bet a lot of universities won't allow it and will ask you to wait to start uni after your 2 years in army.
Original post by yws0212
Sadly, I have committed Adam's sin of being a South Korean male, therefore I will be spending my 21 months in the army or marine corps.

As my country's great generous awesome MoD kindly allows their draftees to choose the day that they want to be drafted (or enslaved), I have concluded that taking 2 years off after my first year of uni would be the best.

very funny
Reply 9
Original post by SophieSmall
but why does that mean you can't choose to wait to go to university? Do something else while you wait to join the army. You'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage if you do first year and then take 2 years out and I'm willing to bet a lot of universities won't allow it and will ask you to wait to start uni after your 2 years in army.

I should probably ask LSE first about this then :frown:
Original post by yws0212
I should probably ask LSE first about this then :frown:

Probably. I hope you manage to get some sort of arrangement sorted. Good luck.
Reply 11
Original post by yws0212

use these 5 months or so you have left travelling/interning. you'll miss civilian life once you enlist. you're still young anyways :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest