The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Living in London

Hi!

I am an international student, coming to study as an exchange student in University of Hertfordshire. I have a bit of a problem, since my girlfriend will be moving to UK as well and looking for a job in London. So, how possible it is to live in London and study in the Uni? We were thinking about looking for a place in Northern London, f. ex. Finsbury Park, since that seems to be quite logical giving it locates along the rails that go up to Hatfield as well.

I looked up the expenses that will come along the daily commute, but I think we can manage (hopefully!).

Is anyone else in the same kind of situation?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Jonas_Pepe
Hi!

I am an international student, coming to study as an exchange student in University of Hertfordshire. I have a bit of a problem, since my girlfriend will be moving to UK as well and looking for a job in London. So, how possible it is to live in London and study in the Uni? We were thinking about looking for a place in Northern London, f. ex. Finsbury Park, since that seems to be quite logical giving it locates along the rails that go up to Hatfield as well.

I looked up the expenses that will come along the daily commute, but I think we can manage (hopefully!).

Is anyone else in the same kind of situation?

Thanks in advance!

That'll be a very easy commute to University. I had plenty of friends and coursemates that lived in London and commuted into University, my best friend came from King's Cross every day and hopped on the bus to campus.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Even though not sure what part of London you'll be travelling from, as a former North West Londoner myself I know that you can get Uno buses 614, 615, and 644 from Edgware, Stanmore, Queensbury, and Wembley Park (Peak-Time only). You can even get a 610 from Enfield (I think that's on peak time as well)

Hope this help you to an extent.
Reply 3
Ok, thanks for the answers!

I imagine it would be a lot cheaper to ride with UNO bus than take the train every day. We were looking for flats around Finsbury Park at first, but now we are so I can easily get to the UNO bus stops in Northern London. Again, I am a foreigner and this public transportation thing in London seems so confusing at times, I really don't know what is the best procedure to take.

Thanks again!
Reply 4
Original post by Jonas_Pepe
Ok, thanks for the answers!

I imagine it would be a lot cheaper to ride with UNO bus than take the train every day. We were looking for flats around Finsbury Park at first, but now we are so I can easily get to the UNO bus stops in Northern London. Again, I am a foreigner and this public transportation thing in London seems so confusing at times, I really don't know what is the best procedure to take.

Thanks again!

London Buses are often much better to use in my opinion. Due to the fact that you will be studying at Hertfordshire you should get a Discount on Uno Buses when you show your UH Student Card.

Here's a link to Uno's website in regards to the route 614, which may be more ideal for you: http://unobus.info/service.shtml?serviceid=1707
Reply 5
Original post by myles45
Even though not sure what part of London you'll be travelling from, as a former North West Londoner myself I know that you can get Uno buses 614, 615, and 644 from Edgware, Stanmore, Queensbury, and Wembley Park (Peak-Time only). You can even get a 610 from Enfield (I think that's on peak time as well)

Hope this help you to an extent.

do you know long it takes from edgeware road to the uni roughly ?
Reply 6
Original post by Fatz26
do you know long it takes from edgeware road to the uni roughly ?

Indeed I do :-). Whenever I use the 614 from Edgware Station to The Forum it's about 20-30 minutes as it passes through Barnet via Mill Hill.

If you use the 644 from Edgware Station to The Forum/De Havilland it's considerably less at it's a direct journey on the A1 Motorway after leaving Mill Hill.

Please bare in mind that Uno buses won't actually go into Edgware Station because it ain't a London Bus Service. They will use bus stops that are nearest... Station Road is the name of the bus stop you are after if travelling to Hatfield (College Lane or DeHavilland Campus.

Hope this helps :-)

Quick Reply

Latest