The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Can we talk about how great QMUL is?

I'm a prospective MA in Linguistics student. I just rejected an offer from Goldsmiths after I had already accepted it, and for some reason, I'm just really sad about that. It's a funky, arty place that I see myself enjoying very much. I love how they challenge students and allow them to be creative and express themselves, but their course is in sociocultural linguistics and not linguistics, and even though sociolinguistics is my preferred topic, I want to have more options. Besides, other universities I applied for are higher ranking. I had an internal conflict, but I had to make a decision already. I'm probably going to accept the offer from QMUL. Still waiting to hear from UCL, King's College London and SOAS, but I don't have much time left and I need to apply for a visa as soon as possible.

Even though I know Queen Mary is a good university, a part of me feels unhappy because it feels as if I "have to" accept their offer due to the limited time I have. It would have been amazing to go to UCL, too. So help a girl feel better and tell me about your personal experience at QMUL. What was it like? What made you love it?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Prepare for the following;

- Lower than expected quality of education
- Repetitive and uninspired practical and lab sessions
- Minimal time with your personal adviser
- Multiple cancelled lectures per month
- Expect QMUL admin to get everything wrong at the absolute worst moment, e.g. Calculating exam results, releasing exam results, making mistakes with coursework grading and down time of MySIS and QMPLUS
- Exam papers with illogical, contradictory questions and mistakes that make it impossible to answer the question

Run from this place, I am not joking.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Sapient

- Expect QMUL admin to get everything wrong at the absolute worst moment, e.g. Calculating exam results, releasing exam results, making mistakes with coursework grading and down time of MySIS and QMPLUS
- Exam papers with illogical, contradictory questions and mistakes that make it impossible to answer the question

Wow! Now that's not an answer I expected. What's your major? And are you an undergraduate or postgraduate student?
Reply 3
Original post by Treee
Wow! Now that's not an answer I expected. What's your major? And are you an undergraduate or postgraduate student?

I have PMed you with further information.
Well Sapient, I am in the same boat with tree but may be in a different compartment... I have accepted MSc Telecommunication Systems Management offer of QMUL(Though I am waiting for some more)... I have offers from Cardiff and Birmingham but then this course appealed me more than the others... Plus it is in London... But I am still wondering if this is the correct choice for me.. I am having 9+ years of work ex...so was wondering if I will fit in well and was more worried about the job placements... Any comments on it???

Abhishek
How good a uni is surely depends on what they teach, surely a uni can't be bad at everything otherwise it would have been shut down ages ago
Original post by sayhi2sinha
Well Sapient, I am in the same boat with tree but may be in a different compartment... I have accepted MSc Telecommunication Systems Management offer of QMUL(Though I am waiting for some more)... I have offers from Cardiff and Birmingham but then this course appealed me more than the others... Plus it is in London... But I am still wondering if this is the correct choice for me.. I am having 9+ years of work ex...so was wondering if I will fit in well and was more worried about the job placements... Any comments on it???

Abhishek

Go to cardiff or birmingham. Seriously, accommodation in the area is expensive and the area is generally quite drabby looking. It's ridiculously expnsive to go out in London, whether by Tube or Taxi and if you don't live in London, you'll be shocked by the prices of drinks in nightclubs (if you like going out).

The student loan barely covers accommodation so you'll need to work or dig deep into an overdraft
Go to UCL - at least you will make connections there which will help you for a lifetime. And the QMUL nights out have overpriced drinks and rubbish music.

Actually, the last point is true for London unis in general, so scratch that.

But the higher up the uni is, the more likely you will network with people who are higher up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Kingls and UCL are yet to respond back and I dont drink(Teetotaler ) so that option is negated... However, I am more worried about the huge fee charged by Cardiff and Birmingham for international students. Plus their scholarships are almost zero....

The course at Queen Mary focusing on Telecommunication Management while other courses are traditional Masters course in Computer Science and Electronics with some part of telecom involved with them....

I am not sure how the department is, because when you talk to University they only praise about their school and there are hardly any student who is available to comment on the course, department and job prospects ..

people in Cardiff asking me to join QMUL and students from QMUL suggesting me to join Cardiff or other uni. like Kings UCL etc... Fee for QMUL is affordable and they are giving me scholarships as well .. but yes as you rightly said the living expense is tremendous and it is actually making me think thrice ...

Any thoughts on it ????

Abhishek
You don't have to live in London to get to QM, I know of one student who commutes to the uni from Wycombe
Wycombe is42 miles from qmul..

Original post by shawn_o1
You don't have to live in London to get to QM, I know of one student who commutes to the uni from Wycombe
Wycombe is42 miles from qmul..

I have a classmate who commutes from Brighton to QMUL every day. He still has a good social life surprisingly.
Original post by SecretDuck
I have a classmate who commutes from Brighton to QMUL every day. He still has a good social life surprisingly.

What are the other options I can venture out in order to find a cheaper accommodation ?? I mean I dont want to spend all my morning and evening in the train or tube but yes I would like to save my money if it cost me to live a bit far from University.

Can you suggest an area which is not so far but still cheaper to stay ... may be 5-10 miles away..

University accommodation is still not in the cards. They have put me in the wait list.

thanks
Abhishek
(edited 9 years ago)
What are the other options I can venture out in order to find a cheaper accommodation ?? I mean I dont want to spend all my morning and evening in the train or tube but yes I would like to save my money if it cost me to live a bit far from University.

Can you suggest an area which is not so far but still cheaper to stay ... may be 5-10 miles away..

University accommodation is still not in the cards. They have put me in the wait list.

thanks
Abhishek

Try Hornchurch or Upminster - direct to uni and you don't have to cross Central London. If you don't want to go that far, try Bow Road or Shadwell.
Try Hornchurch or Upminster - direct to uni and you don't have to cross Central London. If you don't want to go that far, try Bow Road or Shadwell.

Thanks Secret Duck :wink:
Thanks Secret Duck :wink:

No worries :wink:
Reply 16
QMUL or rather Barts and the London rejected me 4 years ago post-interview so I'll always hate this university.

Down with Queens. :mob::mob::motz::nn::naughty::mwuaha::nah::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo:
No worries :wink:

Duck one more queries, here in India I met with couple of representatives of QMUL and they said that since QMUL is a member of University fo London along with other London Universities so any one is a student at QMUL can have access to all the events and facilities of other Universities as well as UNiversity of London..

How true that statement is ?? When it comes to visiting other universities for job fair etc??

Abhishek
Duck one more queries, here in India I met with couple of representatives of QMUL and they said that since QMUL is a member of University fo London along with other London Universities so any one is a student at QMUL can have access to all the events and facilities of other Universities as well as UNiversity of London..

How true that statement is ?? When it comes to visiting other universities for job fair etc??

Abhishek

There are University of London Societies which welcome members from other UoL universities :smile:
Original post by Sapient

This geezer is a well-known troll with a real problem. Ignore him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending