The Student Room Group

Preparation for A levels

What is the best way to prepare for AS levels over the summer?
I am doing English,Spanish, History and Business Studies for A levels and really want to feel a bit prepared. I have got some books for English that I have been asked to read but History is the subject I am really not sure how to prepare for.
Suggestions and Advice would be appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lizarella
What is the best way to prepare for A levels over the summer?
I am doing English,Spanish, History and Business Studies for A levels and really want to feel a bit prepared. I have got some books for English that I have been asked to read but History is the subject I am really not sure how to prepare for.

To be honest, I think that you should wait for History. I think it's better to know what you need to know which is what the teacher will teach you. However, you can buy your textbook and read over it.

I don't think you'd need to do anything for Business but you could revise some of your GCSE content if you did it at GCSE. As for Spanish, my friend is doing German and was told to watch some German films.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by JayJay-C19
To be honest, I think that you should wait for History. I think it's better to know what you need to know which is what the teacher will teach you. However, you can buy your textbook and read over it.

I don't think you'd need to do anything for Business but you could revise some of your GCSE content if you did it at GCSE. As for Spanish, my friend is doing German and was told to watch some German films.

Hope this helps.

Yes it did help. Thank you :smile:
Yes it did help. Thank you :smile:

I'm glad.

What are your exam boards for English (Literature, is it?) and History, by the way?
Reply 4
Well, you might take a look on the final exam papers to get a glance of how the syllabus is like, exams style and so on. You can find them online on several website like pastpapers.net, xtreme and so on. (So you do not need to go to the school library)
Reply 5

http://www.rtve.es/ is good for watching videos and http://www.elmundo.es/ is good to scroll through. I find it hard to translate news articles sometimes but it's really good for picking up new vocab. :^_^:
Reply 6
I'm glad.

What are your exam boards for English (Literature, is it?) and History, by the way?

AQA for both
Reply 7
I'm glad.

Oh yeah and it is English Lit :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Flyramy
Well, you might take a look on the final exam papers to get a glance of how the syllabus is like, exams style and so on. You can find them online on several website like pastpapers.net, xtreme and so on. (So you do not need to go to the school library)

Thanks so much I didn't even think of looking at exam paper. Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by debalmis
http://www.rtve.es/ is good for watching videos and http://www.elmundo.es/ is good to scroll through. I find it hard to translate news articles sometimes but it's really good for picking up new vocab. :^_^:

Oh my days! This is so great thanks. Do you just read through it and see if you understand the Spanish, or do you just look out for new vocab?

the best way is to get off this forum immediately and focus on your studies.
you probably won't get it now. you will when you get your results :eek:
Oh yeah and it is English Lit :smile:

I'm on AQA too! AQA B for English?
Reply 12
I'm on AQA too! AQA B for English?

Tbh I don't know lol I am starting my AS Levels. I said A levels by mistake (Has taken me ages to actually know the difference between them both) so I don't really know anything about AQA B sorry :smile:
Reply 13
Tbh I don't know lol I am starting my AS Levels. I said A levels by mistake (Has taken me ages to actually know the difference between them both) so I don't really know anything about AQA B sorry :smile:

English could be hard to start before september then because at A level theres different syllabus's - AQA A and AQA B and both have different textbooks and revision guides

I'm doing the same thing as you. Starting AS in September... AQA B is just the syllabus name, AQA A is a different syllabus.
Reply 15
Original post by iJess
English could be hard to start before september then because at A level theres different syllabus's - AQA A and AQA B and both have different textbooks and revision guides

Right I get you by the looks of it I am not doing AQA A or B we have two units one of which is Texts in Contexts which has a section a and b and the other unit is Creative Study.
Reply 16
I'm doing the same thing as you. Starting AS in September... AQA B is just the syllabus name, AQA A is a different syllabus.

Oh ok haha by the looks of it I am not doing AQA A or B we have two units one of which is Texts in Contexts which has a section a and b and the other unit is Creative Study.
Oh ok haha by the looks of it I am not doing AQA A or B we have two units one of which is Texts in Contexts which has a section a and b and the other unit is Creative Study.

Maybe A then for you. Mine is B and isnt those!
Reply 18
Right I get you by the looks of it I am not doing AQA A or B we have two units one of which is Texts in Contexts which has a section a and b and the other unit is Creative Study.

You're doing AQA A by the looks of it :smile: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/english-literature-a-2740
Reply 19
Yeah just checked the syllabus I think I am doing AQA A. Well I am glad I know now because I had no idea there was AQA A and B :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest