The Student Room Group

somebody please explain what is happening to as and alevels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fortunesfool
Not too shabby :wink:

:wink:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Oh hunny, the education system has been broken for years and years. It's been going on like this for years. At least since Labour were in charge of controlling education. Between 10-15 years I believe!!

In what ways do you feel this education system is broken? I feel the secondary education system needs more reform than the post 16 one.
Original post by Compost
Not necessarily. At the moment there are 6 exams for each of Maths and Further Maths, but the new Maths A levels (taught from September 2016, not 2017 as a previous poster put) may well revert to the pre-2000ish system of 2, 3 hour papers for each A level.

So which topics would be put into one exam? C1C2C3C4? and M1M2? or S1S2? etc
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
So which topics would be put into one exam? C1C2C3C4? and M1M2? or S1S2? etc

No draft specifications are available. Many years ago there used to be a 3hr pure paper and a 3hr applied paper (and the same again for Further maths) but we will have to wait and see.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 06shawm
I honestly don't know tbh, they just want a simpler and more rigorous exam system I guess :frown:

I understand that. I mean, grade inflation has been quite ridiculous over the years but it just sucks that my year group has to be the 'experimental group'.:frown: The teachers in my school are legitimately scared about what Gove has done. They made a bunch of us sit our exams in subjects early because they knew that it was going to be so much harder to get the grades we are predicated next summer. Just thinking about no A Level past papers scares me. :s-smilie: People say A Levels are hard but now they're making them harder and without past papers.:angry: Lol I wonder what it's going to be like come September 2015. :rolleyes:
Original post by Compost
No draft specifications are available. Many years ago there used to be a 3hr pure paper and a 3 hour applied paper (and the same again for Furtehr maths) but we will have to wait and see.

How can one keep their concentration for 3 hours?? It won't allow pupils to use their full potential... In my IGCSE, during 2.5hours history exam I was about to faint towards the end but I kept writing until the end trying so hard...after the exam I was feeling dizzy for some time :frown:
I wouldn't want to do 3h paper at A levels.. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
How can one keep their concentration for 3 hours?? It won't allow pupils to use their full potential... In my IGCSE, during 2.5hours history exam I was about to faint towards the end but I kept writing until the end trying so hard...after the exam I was feeling dizzy for some time :frown:
I wouldn't want to do 3h paper at A levels.. -_-

It's what was standard for A levels for many years and people coped fine. Your working life won't be broken up into little chunks - it's all about expectations. There was a German lad at our school this year who found it hilarious that one of his AS exams was moved to the afternoon as he had a clash which meant he had 3.5 hours of exams to do in the morning. He said that in Germany 4 and 5 hour exams are not uncommon.
Original post by ChildInDisguise
Lord I feel so sorry for them. I don't think I'm stupid, even though I can be aha. But I didn't really have much of a problem with GCSE's. Surely though, they're just leading more of them on to fail. Especially if they have an expectation to do as well as the older ones did. I struggled with A levels psychologically. I just found the jump too big and I felt really put down. I'm the type of person who doesn't bother if I can't do it, so I just think making the hurdles larger for students is just going to cause them to not even try.
I think it's so unfair they're going to be the "experiments" because they'll suffer the consequences for having seemingly worse grades. They should have just left it as it is. I think it's irresponsible they didn't. They're just putting more pressure on people :frown:

Well GOVE moderately changed GCSEs so students could be well prepared for A-levels. He then changed (Reverted to the old system) of A-levels to prepare students for uni and the working world. I do think it will be harder, which is unfortunate. However, I am glad I just finished my A-levels as I too struggled with the gap!
Original post by gdunne42
You are correct when you say that examiners are trying to produce co teachable AS/A levels that should enable students to achieve an AS level qualification at the end of the first year and either drop it or continue study and complete a full A level. However, it is not yet confirmed with approved specifications that this will be the case for every subject/examiner or that all schools will choose to offer it.

However, when you say "if you succeed, we will carry your marks over to the A-level qualification" this seems to imply things are the same as they are now. They are not, no marks will carry over towards the full A level qualification, the full A level exams will test All of the content of the two years of study independently of any result gained at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said in my other comments they will credit/confirm the specs in Nov time. Although, some might be subject to change as they have the right to, leading up to Sept 2015. Again, I have made it clear that it depends on the subject and the school/college.

I should have made it clearer; I was talking specifically about English A-levels. Not generically :smile:
Original post by 06shawm
They are separate qualifications. Therefore the marks from the AS cannot be carried over to the A-level qualification.

English A-level that is not the case. It says on all the specs that what they receive will be carried forward, because they have to enter them for the first code, and then if student decides to stick to it, they will enter that student for the second code, therefore it will be carried forward.
Original post by 06shawm
In what ways do you feel this education system is broken? I feel the secondary education system needs more reform than the post 16 one.

I believe teaching should be about HOW to teach the subject, not WHAT to teach. Of course the syllabus is just as important, but there's too much focus on what needs to be taught and for how long, in what depth and etc. but the government isn't concerned about how teachers are teaching their subjects to their students. Voices of teachers gets unnoticed and it's just frustrating. Yes, they have got rid of paperwork which is what most teachers wanted, but some of the main principles of teaching as a profession is just not being catered for. I speak only for Secondary Education, not Primary btw :smile:
Will these changes affect anyone starting college this september?
Original post by IhateMichealGove

No. :tongue:
I don't believe 3hr exams would be that much of a problem for a lot of people; e.g. at college my friend has 2 hour lessons and then study time afterwards, so she has to keep concentration.
Also, my last bio exam was 2hr15 and actually I could have continued writing for longer - Once you get into the swing of things its easy to write and work for that amount of time.
It'll only be a struggle and difficult for those who haven't revised properly and so haven't got enough to write about, and therefore those who will get the poorer grades.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Well GOVE moderately changed GCSEs so students could be well prepared for A-levels. He then changed (Reverted to the old system) of A-levels to prepare students for uni and the working world. I do think it will be harder, which is unfortunate. However, I am glad I just finished my A-levels as I too struggled with the gap!

Yeah, I still think it's unfair xD and yay me too hopefully! :smile: it's not even long now, Gah less than 10 days!
I'm scared and excited. If I fail I will get so angry aha, to put in so much effort and become deranged to not get into uni. The thought scares me so much :tongue:
Original post by mynameisntdoug
The current parliament dissolves in March 2015, so the next government could potentially scrap this before September 2015.

yes labor said that they will stop the A-level reforms.... so looks like i know who i am voting for , i really hope they win because i really don't want to do these new A-levels.

VOTE LABOR....i'm gonna die if i do English lit with no coursework i mean are you kidding me
Original post by Marii101
I understand that. I mean, grade inflation has been quite ridiculous over the years but it just sucks that my year group has to be the 'experimental group'.:frown: The teachers in my school are legitimately scared about what Gove has done. They made a bunch of us sit our exams in subjects early because they knew that it was going to be so much harder to get the grades we are predicated next summer. Just thinking about no A Level past papers scares me. :s-smilie: People say A Levels are hard but now they're making them harder and without past papers.:angry: Lol I wonder what it's going to be like come September 2015. :rolleyes:

ikr , same it's so frustrating i am super scared about my A-levels now
Original post by Humzaawan123
yes labor said that they will stop the A-level reforms.... so looks like i know who i am voting for , i really hope they win because i really don't want to do these new A-levels.

VOTE LABOR....i'm gonna die if i do English lit with no coursework i mean are you kidding me

I completely agree. The only thing is that people are saying that even if Labour come into power, it will be too late to scrap the new a levels... Which is depressing :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IhateMichealGove

Original post by 06shawm
No. :tongue:

Yes. Because the new system is happening with a handful of options such as AQA sciences
Original post by Invest
Yes. Because the new system is happening with a handful of options such as AQA sciences

Not according to the timeline on their web site
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/pdf/12030-AQA-Reform-Timelines-A-level-PROOF5.pdf

I don't know if there are any early pilot schools for the new approach but in general first teaching in September 2015 is the start date for the initial subjects and 2016 for the next tranche including maths.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest