The Student Room Group

Is Islam being shown enough Respect in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

OMG you've got to be kidding right? Now this is getting ****ing ridiculous.
In the words of Rowan Atkinson:

"What is wrong with inciting intense dislike of a religion of the activities or teaching of that religion are so outrageous, irrational or abusive of human rights that they deserve to be intensely disliked?"
Oh look:

Commonwealth Games Scottie dogs 'disrespectful to Muslims'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10995961/Commonwealth-Games-Scottie-dogs-disrespectful-to-Muslims.html

Muslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1030798/Muslim-outrage-police-advert-featuring-cute-puppy-sitting-policemans-hat.html

If these events are what you mean by muslims not being given enough respect then it's time to grow up and act your age.
Original post by XMaramena
Oh look:

Commonwealth Games Scottie dogs 'disrespectful to Muslims'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10995961/Commonwealth-Games-Scottie-dogs-disrespectful-to-Muslims.html

Muslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1030798/Muslim-outrage-police-advert-featuring-cute-puppy-sitting-policemans-hat.html

If these events are what you mean by muslims not being given enough respect then it's time to grow up and act your age.

Pathetic morons.

I hope the Tayside police don't change that adorable poster <3
Reply 44
Original post by Skip_Snip
Pathetic morons.

I hope the Tayside police don't change that adorable poster <3

I literally have never heard that dogs are seen as 'unclean'... pigs yes.... my students were very vocal about them... most of them loved it when they saw dogs out with their owners... is this maybe another side of some parts of the Qu'ran being taken too literally? I really doubt the organisers meant to cause offense! Besides, I feel Scotland's response should be how they are an emblem of THEIR culture and nationality, they could have chosen not to take part in the parade if the team were that offended by it, and they obviously weren't....

There's a fine line between the right to practice your own faith and then dictating how others should change their entire lives just so they don't accidentally do something that someone else may or may not be offended by..... I don't go round yelling at gay people to stop kissing in public because I am Catholic and some old dude wrote down what God told him... to be honest, I don't even know if I trust the translation skills of those monks years ago... wielding a dog in their faces = yes, that would be uncalled for, I think this is a deliberate attempt at causing more conflict.

Actually.... now that I think about it I think it's only Sunni muslims - predominantly in Saudi - who say that the Prophet had a 'dislike' for dogs as they were unclean.....in their version of the Qu'ran.... in other Hadiths there is praise for animals INCLUDING dogs..... it's along the lines (please don't jump on this, it's just to prove a point about variation in denominative texts which are based upon the same god's word) of when Anglican's can divorce, yet Catholics cannot - as it is seen as binding in the eyes of God, you will always be married.

Also, only 60% of Malaysia is Muslim.... so 40% of the people there are not in fact muslim at all, and of that 60% around 10% are actually Shia and therefore would have no problem with dogs.... so HALF the team, effectively may have been offended...

I believe the Shia muslims had more to be offended about by this than a little Scotty! -

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/belief/minister-malaysian-shia-keep-your-beliefs-yourself

I believe if it was the other way around, there would be public outrage, no?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I'll be honest, I can see why it may be unnerving to have somebody break into prayer on the bus. If I had been there, I would have thought I was facing imminent death. It's an odd place to pray.

When you got to pray, you got to pray. We have deadlines and we can't be lte for them. What i think needs to happen is PROPER education so people wont feel it's so strange.
Original post by Lulu24
When you got to pray, you got to pray. We have deadlines and we can't be lte for them. What i think needs to happen is PROPER education so people wont feel it's so strange.

What i find patronising is that you assume that it it my lack of education that makes me find it strange.

Let me tell you, at school I did Religious Education for 5 years, with it being forced upon me at GCSE. I understand completely that muslims have an obligation, but it still does not change my view that to me it is completely strange, no less because they are praying to a being which I believe has never been demonstrated to exist
Reply 47
What i find patronising is that you assume that it it my lack of education that makes me find it strange.

Let me tell you, at school I did Religious Education for 5 years, with it being forced upon me at GCSE. I understand completely that muslims have an obligation, but it still does not change my view that to me it is completely strange, no less because they are praying to a being which I believe has never been demonstrated to exist

Someone stated "it is a strange place to pray" well for muslims it is not. That's what i mean by lack of education, there isn't enough empathy, or understanding about WHY we do things. Also, i have experienced the exact same religious education curriculum that you have and as a convert to islam, i dont think it is anywhere near sufficient.
Why should I respect Islam?

Once it has does something worthy of respect, I will give it respect.
Reply 49
Original post by EL704
I literally have never heard that dogs are seen as 'unclean'... pigs yes.... my students were very vocal about them... most of them loved it when they saw dogs out with their owners... is this maybe another side of some parts of the Qu'ran being taken too literally? I really doubt the organisers meant to cause offense! Besides, I feel Scotland's response should be how they are an emblem of THEIR culture and nationality, they could have chosen not to take part in the parade if the team were that offended by it, and they obviously weren't....

There's a fine line between the right to practice your own faith and then dictating how others should change their entire lives just so they don't accidentally do something that someone else may or may not be offended by..... I don't go round yelling at gay people to stop kissing in public because I am Catholic and some old dude wrote down what God told him... to be honest, I don't even know if I trust the translation skills of those monks years ago... wielding a dog in their faces = yes, that would be uncalled for, I think this is a deliberate attempt at causing more conflict.

There is nothing in our religion that says you can't be in the same room as a dog in the way that it was at the commonwealth games. If the muslims really were upset, then yes it is down to lack of understanding since we are allowed to keep dogs as guard dogs etc, so one walking with you? Not a problem at all if you ask me.
Reply 50
Original post by muffingg
As a Muslim myself, and knowing how Islam is being viewed at these days, I personally would avoid any such actions. Anyone with little knowledge would have to bear in mind that people will make fun of you these days if you pray in public places like a bus. People wouldn't just ignore it in today's world and although it's not great, that's just what the world has come to.

Well that comes down to the individuals imaan, as Abdulraheem green said, most people who dont pray outside purely dont have the guts to do it, they're more worried about what others think than the fact that they're late for their salaat.
Reply 51
Original post by Lulu24
There is nothing in our religion that says you can't be in the same room as a dog in the way that it was at the commonwealth games. If the muslims really were upset, then yes it is down to lack of understanding since we are allowed to keep dogs as guard dogs etc, so one walking with you? Not a problem at all if you ask me.

Any time anything like this comes out of Malaysia, you have to bear in mind it comes from opposition MPs fishing for votes and trying to get their names in the international press. No-one takes this kind of stuff seriously, and it's probably something of an embarrassment to most.

If Malaysians are so offended by Scottie dogs, presumably they'll be closing down the Kuala Lumpur branch of Radley?
Original post by Lulu24
Someone stated "it is a strange place to pray" well for muslims it is not.

I myself stated that. It it is a bus, which are generally unclean places. You talk about having empathy a bit below, but for those of us who do not subscribe to Islam, it is strange, you can disagree all you like but that's the truth, it can be alienating, and the man must surely have wondered what sort of reaction other people might have had.

Original post by Lulu24
That's what i mean by lack of education, there isn't enough empathy, or understanding about WHY we do things. Also, i have experienced the exact same religious education curriculum

We have done the same curriculum yes, but I'm not incapable of opening a book outside of the classroom. You just have no idea what other things I have done to understand Islam better, rather than just sit in a classroom

Original post by Lulu24
that you have and as a convert to islam, i dont think it is anywhere near sufficient.

I assume the only amount of knowledge you consider adequate is to read the Qur'an again and again, and hope some of it sticks. Well thats not for me, I've read it once, not a terrific read.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
I myself stated that. It it is a bus, which are generally unclean places. You talk about having empathy a bit below, but for those of us who do not subscribe to Islam, it is strange, you can disagree all you like but that's the truth, it can be alienating, and the man must surely have wondered what sort of reaction other people might have had.

We have done the same curriculum yes, but I'm not incapable of opening a book outside of the classroom. You just have no idea what other things I have done to understand Islam better, rather than just sit in a classroom

I assume the only amount of knowledge you consider adequate is to read the Qur'an again and again, and hope some of it sticks. Well thats not for me, I've read it once, not a terrific read.

Well you shouldn't assume about me either missy since i MYSELF haven't read the Qur'an "again and again" and if you have done extra research then kudos to you, but as you mentioned your knowledge of Islam to be sourced from your school education i commented on it. So no i did not assume, only went off what you told me. Either way, i still feel the education system needs reform, not just with islam but with other religions too, it doesn't go into enough depth with something as important as religion. Dunno why you getting hype for o.O Evidently; the man did not care what reaction people would have.
Original post by Lulu24
Well you shouldn't assume about me either missy since i MYSELF haven't read the Qur'an "again and again" and if you have done extra research then kudos to you, but as you mentioned your knowledge of Islam to be sourced from your school education i commented on it. So no i did not assume, only went off what you told me. Either way, i still feel the education system needs reform, not just with islam but with other religions too, it doesn't go into enough depth with something as important as religion. Dunno why you getting hype for o.O Evidently; the man did not care what reaction people would have.

And this is where it comes down, the man did not care what reaction people would have, and as you said in post 48 - 'When you got to pray, you got to pray. We have deadlines and we can't be lte for them.'

This really is about a man who probably knew that it may make people feel uneasy and unnerved, but decided to do it anyway because he believed he was doing something that 'God' had ordered - and that is my problem.
Reply 55
And this is where it comes down, the man did not care what reaction people would have, and as you said in post 48 - 'When you got to pray, you got to pray. We have deadlines and we can't be lte for them.'

This really is about a man who probably knew that it may make people feel uneasy and unnerved, but decided to do it anyway because he believed he was doing something that 'God' had ordered - and that is my problem.

Why is that a problem for you? Just because you don't believe in God, if people are living their life by something, praying does not involve anyone else, it's other peoples problem if they are offended etc. Why should a guy chose strangers on the bus over his way of life and his own beliefs? This is exactly what i mean by a lack of empathy, you DO NOT understand the importance of God in a religious persons life, be it muslim or christian whatever, i can tell by the way you use quotation marks around God clearly showing you to be mocking him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lulu24
Why is that a problem for you? Just because you don't believe in God, if people are living their life by something, praying does not involve anyone else, it's other peoples problem if they are offended etc. Why should a guy chose strangers on the bus over his way of life and his own beliefs?

Because what he did was decide against showing any sort of respect for people who didn't share his beliefs. That scares me because we have all seen the crazy things that people do under the illusion that they were carrying out the orders of 'God'
He could have waited till he got home like every normal person would ???
Reply 58
Because what he did was decide against showing any sort of respect for people who didn't share his beliefs. That scares me because we have all seen the crazy things that people do under the illusion that they were carrying out the orders of 'God'

Why is praying a scary thing lol? It involves no one! It's not forcing your beliefs on anyone either. You could say the situation is the same with homosexuals : They are publically expressing themselves despite some people not sharing the belief that they should and yet they are allowed to. Surely, everyone should be able to express themselves despite what others think? You can't live your life for other people. If you really wanna make this about extremists then we can, but it just shows how ignorant you are.
Original post by Lulu24
Why is praying a scary thing lol? It involves no one! It's not forcing your beliefs on anyone either. You could say the situation is the same with homosexuals : They are publically expressing themselves despite some people not sharing the belief that they should and yet they are allowed to. Surely, everyone should be able to express themselves despite what others think? You can't live your life for other people. If you really wanna make this about extremists then we can, but it just shows how ignorant you are.

I'm not ignorant at all.

Your comparison with a muslim praying and two homosexuals is wrong. Why? Because if somebody were to see two homosexuals in public kissing say, then yes, you may feel uncomfortable, even disgusted.

However, having somebody on the bus praying may not just disgust you, but may alarm you, perhaps even fear for your life. You know, a homosexual has never strapped a bomb to himself and tried to blow up a train. Having somebody pray next to you in Arabic is a unique situation which may elicit fear - I would be alarmed if I were on the bus.

Are you so dense, that you cannot see that the reason why people may be alarmed by this action is because of extremism? It's not ignorant to mention extremism, it's extremely pertinent.

I have nothing more to say to you. That is it, if you can't understand why people may be alarmed and may not like it, then go out into the real world - dont blame education.

Quick Reply