The Student Room Group

If firearms were legal, would you own one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bertstare
For all practical purposes they are not. Try buying a handgun and tell me how far you get

I own three, each one easily capable of killing a man from an effective distance comparable to military grade side-arms.
Reply 161
Original post by Zen Baphomet
I own three, each one easily capable of killing a man from an effective distance comparable to military grade side-arms.

What guns specifically?
Yes probably :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are, and I do.

It's kept in a locked cabinet with everything counted.

Most certainly not for self-defence or to carry around 'just in case'.

I find the fact that people have firearms with the intention of shooting either in attack or defence ludicrous, and that counts for government-owned weapons as well.
What guns specifically?

Westlake Browning Butchmark and two Taurus Revolver 44 and .357
Reply 165
Westlake Browning Butchmark and two Taurus Revolver 44 and .357

What's the process for getting something like that in the UK? I would have thought it's not worth the effort unless you're a very keen competitive shooter or something
What's the process for getting something like that in the UK? I would have thought it's not worth the effort unless you're a very keen competitive shooter or something

Easy as pie, pay a £55 Gun License fee and be an active club shooter for six months, I walked in one day and signed up to a club and was shooting with their rifles and pistols that afternoon, six months later I was buying my own.

I also own Semi-Automatic Tactical rifles(Including a Umarex .22 LR MP5) and one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jpuSHcWgfE

and some that essentially compare to Military Grade Sniper Rifles.

Gun ownership in the UK is a lot easier than people think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 167
Easy as pie, pay a £55 Gun License fee and be an active club shooter for six months, I walked in one day and signed up to a club and was shooting with their rifles and pistols that afternoon, six months later I was buying my own.

I also own Semi-Automatic Tactical rifles, and some that essentially compare to Military Grade Sniper Rifles.

Wow, it's incredible how misinformed people (including myself about a week ago) are on the matter
Wow, it's incredible how misinformed people (including myself about a week ago) are on the matter

It's no ones fault really, we don't have a Gun culture in the UK, why should you know?

To put it into perspective how powerful a Rifle you can buy my friend recently bought this, you don't even need to know Gun Stat's the thing just looks deadly/powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jpuSHcWgfE

I also own Semi-Automatic Tactical rifles(Including a Umarex .22 LR MP5), and some that essentially compare to Military Grade Sniper Rifles.

What are the handguns licensed for?

Umarex are airguns and you don't need a license for them anyway.

What are these military grade rifles?
Original post by DiddyDec
What are the handguns licensed for?

Target shooting.

Umarex are airguns and you don't need a license for them anyway.

Not all, they also make general semi-autos that can be used for Club Shooting.

What are these military grade rifles?

I admit it was a hugely exaggerate claim, it's essentially just a top of the range Hunting Rifle, I personally find it handles comparable to the L115A3 Long Range sniper rifle, used by the British Army, I mean I could certainly pull of a Belltower massacre with one.(Not that I would...nopycho)
(edited 9 years ago)
Target shooting.

Not all, they also make general semi-autos that can be used for Club Shooting.

I admit it was a hugely exaggerate claim, it's essentially just a top of the range Hunting Rifle, I personally find it handles comparabley to the L115a3 Long Rnage sniper rifle, used by the British Army.

Last I checked you couldn't use pistols for target shooting unless they were antiques or for the real purpose of humane dispatch.

You are indeed correct, I am mistaken. They look pretty sweet.

What make and caliber? You know you can actually buy some of the Accuracy International rifles in .308 and .338

Take a look at this beauty. It comes with a Schmidt and Bender scope.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Accuracy-International_Rifle_AX-338_For-Sale_140418142226371
Yes, I don't want one and i hope it never becomes as easy to own a gun as it is in America, but if that did happen there's no way I'd NOT have a gun whilst everyone else could easily get hold of them
Last I checked you couldn't use pistols for target shooting unless they were antiques or for the real purpose of humane dispatch.

Long Barrle Pistols are common for Target Shooting,

You are indeed correct, I am mistaken. They look pretty sweet.

I know right?

What make and caliber? You know you can actually buy some of the Accuracy International rifles in .308 and .338

Take a look at this beauty. It comes with a Schmidt and Bender scope.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Accuracy-International_Rifle_AX-338_For-Sale_140418142226371

****, that looks fantastic..if I had the money.

I have a mere
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Merkel_Rifle_Helix-Explorer_For-Sale_131213125921001
Long Barrle Pistols are common for Target Shooting,

I know right?

****, that looks fantastic..if I had the money.

I have a mere
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Merkel_Rifle_Helix-Explorer_For-Sale_131213125921001

Ah, long barrel I understand now.

That is pretty sweet. Do you shoot many deer or foxes?

I'm getting one of these for my 21st. It is an absolute work of art.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_Silver-Pigeon-1-Classic_For-Sale_140529141039001
Ah, long barrel I understand now.

That is pretty sweet. Do you shoot many deer or foxes?

I'm getting one of these for my 21st. It is an absolute work of art.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_Silver-Pigeon-1-Classic_For-Sale_140529141039001

Very nice, I can see why you used the term art, the engraving is magnificent.

I used to sadly, I haven't for over a year now mainly due to time and finance the sport took a back-seat to starting a family. My wife and I are discussing starting again in a few years as it's something she want's to try.(Shooting at least, not so much the Hunting)
Very nice, I can see why you used the term art, the engraving is magnificent.

I used to sadly, I haven't for over a year now mainly due to time and finance the sport took a back-seat to starting a family. My wife and I are discussing starting again in a few years as it's something she want's to try.(Shooting at least, not so much the Hunting)

The hunting is the best bit. But it is each to their own. I do enjoy a good bit of target shooting from time to time. Do you do competitions are just recreational?
Reply 177
Yes. One to defend my home. Hopefully I would never have to use it though!
The hunting is the best bit. But it is each to their own. I do enjoy a good bit of target shooting from time to time. Do you do competitions are just recreational?

I always shot for hunting, and was only really a club member to continue to hold the license and keep my shot on form, so recreational.

I am a decent shot, shot for my Company in 2009 but I am not outstanding so I don't think I would get far in competitive shooting.
I always shot for hunting, and was only really a club member to continue to hold the license and keep my shot on form, so recreational.

I am a decent shot, shot for my Company in 2009 but I am not outstanding so I don't think I would get far in competitive shooting.

If you ever get some money together I highly recommend you take a trip to South Africa for some big game hunting. It is bloody brilliant fun. I never paid for it because I was working out there, but if I had it would have been worth the money.

Quick Reply

Latest