The Student Room Group

Did TSR influence your uni decision/place?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
Nah, i'm just genuinely interested. I joined up to the site a bit late so missed a lot of cool stuff.

Personally I wasn't all that happy about the course I was doing and the university I was at, this site didn't help as I found it to be quite elitist. I would say it made me feel academically inferior at the time. But I was much younger back then.

I also joined post A-levels, but I've had a total of 5 UCAS applications, so only 1 of then was when I wasn't a member of this site.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Personally I wasn't all that happy about the course I was doing and the university I was at, this site didn't help as I found it to be quite elitist. I would say it made me feel academically inferior at the time. But I was much younger back then.

I also joined post A-levels, but I've had a total of 5 UCAS applications, so only 1 of then was when I wasn't a member of this site.

I think you have to be careful where you post. Some areas are more elitist then others. I find going into the uni subforum of the uni in questions normally gives good replies whereas asking about multiple unis in a busier section gets everyone just putting down the lower ranked ones.
Original post by Motorbiker
I think you have to be careful where you post. Some areas are more elitist then others. I find going into the uni subforum of the uni in questions normally gives good replies whereas asking about multiple unis in a busier section gets everyone just putting down the lower ranked ones.

Yeah, but everyone will be biased towards their own uni at the end of the day I suppose.

It doesn't matter anymore really, as I said I was much younger back then. I've realized that the key to employment is much more than the subject you do and the university you studied at. On top of that, a lot of the posters putting down other universities haven't even finished their A-levels and know little about university teaching let alone graduate employment.

I turned down offers from Russell Group universities this year to study at a university which many on here would see as 'lesser' academically, for no other reason than the fact it isn't RG. So I think that is proof about how much my opinion can be influenced by this site these days.
Hey guys, there is a blog post about this forum on TSR matters, feel free to check it out!

http://tsrmatters.com/how-the-student-room-influences-uni-decisions-and-places-in-students-own-words/#more-12885
TSR definitely helped me to decide where to apply. I've found everyone in the medicine subforum to be very helpful, and I think I probably would have ended up applying to unis where I wouldn't have met the requirements if it wasn't for the TSR wiki pages - it's nice to have all the information about the requirements for each medical school condensed into simple boxes.

I also found that my teachers at school weren't very knowledgeable about the application process for medicine, so TSR definitely gave me a boost.

Having said that, there were times when my motivation took a tumble when I read through other applicants profiles and realised how unsuccessful I was compared to a lot of them. Overall though I'm glad I discovered TSR before applying to uni - it's one of the few forums which I come back to regularly. Hopefully I can pass on my wisdom to future medical applicants as well. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply