The Student Room Group

If the UK had an autobahn..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xmertic
The limit that the government set...

Daft. What if its raining and foggy? I'd drive at the speed safe for the conditions. On a sunny day 10mph above (the old bill even allow for this - even though I don't as I cba with points in the UK) whereas at night or in bad conditions I would drive under the limit. Government imposed limits are fundamentally stupid for the reason you just proved - people stick to them as if they're gospel. I don't trust the government with a lit of things with reason to feel that way and I'm certainly not going to trust their judgement solely when it comes to the road and my life.

Speed limits that could be altered from 90mph in good conditions down to 40mph in conditions such as dense fog would be better but trying to get the government to invest in worthwhile projects is almost impossible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sanctimonious
Daft. What if its raining and foggy? I'd drive at the speed safe for the conditions. On a sunny day 10mph above whereas at night or in bad conditions I would drive under the limit. Government imposed limits are fundamentally stupid for the reason you just proved - people stick to them as if they're gospel. I don't trust the government with a lit of things with reason to feel that way and I'm certainly not going to trust their judgement solely when it comes to the road and my life.

Speed limits that could be altered from 90mph in good conditions down to 40mph in conditions such as dense fog would be better but trying to get the government to invest in worthwhile projects is almost impossible.

It's only daft to a person, if that said person is willing to accept fines. What's the point in paying a fine when you could just stick to the posted limit?

You're the daft one.
Reply 62
Original post by live_a_life
What an unnecessarily anal interpretation of my post. Saying I drive at a speed I find comfortable means that I have weighed all these factors you mentioned - every single one - and decided that should an awkward situation arise, I can deal with it. I wouldn't feel 'comfortable' driving at 120mph on UK roads despite my car being able to give me a very 'comfy' ride if I did decide to be at those speeds. You've read the word 'comfortable' from the wrong perspective.

And how can you say that it's flimsy reason and go on to compare it to driving under the influence? Alcohol impairs your driving significantly. Driving 100mph+ on the motorway in an empty, straight right lane does not pose any where near as much of an impairment.

Don't challenge something I've said, purely for the sake of causing a dispute. Saying that I drive at speeds I feel comfortable at is a completely justified reason.

To be honest, it seems like what you're trying to coerce me into saying is, "I drive fast because I enjoy it" which is true, I do, but when I'm enjoying something, I feel pretty comfortable.

What an unnecessarily anal interpretation of my post... I wouldn't feel 'comfortable' driving at 120mph on UK roads despite my car being able to give me a very 'comfy' ride if I did decide to be at those speeds.

No, that's exactly how I interpreted it. That's why I said that some people wouldn't drive at speeds they aren't comfortable driving at. Most cars would be 'comfy' at 50mph, and 80mph. Some people don't go above those speeds because they are not comfortable with driving at those speeds. Some people aren't comfortable going above 30mph. You aren't comfortable with going at 120mph, but will happily go at 110mph. Read the first two sentences of my previous post properly instead of trying to argue semantics. I never talked about about literal comfort.

You don't seem to understand the concept of something out of your control happening. Believe it or not, people don't intend to get into accidents.That's why they're called accidents. I'm not sure why such a concept is alien to you. Like I've said, speed if you want, but don't assume that you can avert an accident, because not even F1 or professional rally car drivers can do that. There are always factors that are completely out of your control.

I've never been in an accident. I'm competent enough of a driver that I've prevented incidents from happening during awkward situations like with other cars thinking they could make a gap and whatever else, while going at speed. I am not so foolish as to think that I can deal with anything. If I have the misfortune of being involved in an accident, if the time ever comes, I know there's not a force in the universe that will stop it.

It doesn't matter about the impairment. Your justification is solely based on your feeling while driving. Some people are okay with having a little tipple, but under the legal limit. Some are okay with smoking weed before they drive. Some people are at ease when talking with a familiar voice and will talk on the phone while driving. Other people aren't okay with doing such things at all and won't drive at all after/during any such activities. What an individual is okay with doesn't mean much.

Speed by all means and enjoy your life. I've said that several times. There's no dispute with your actions, because like I've said already, nobody here can stop you. All I'm telling you to do is to be more honest about the reasons you drive fast, because the "me, me, me" reasoning flimsy and can be used to justify just about anything since we are all individuals and have individual quirks. Learn the definition of the word "accident" while you're at it.

You might take this as a personal slight. It isn't. I'm far from a perfect driver, but I don't try to justify any of my bad habits as being okay because I'm a competent driver. They are what they are.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bad8oy
E46?
Was driving the e90 330d this Monday gone they're not bad cars, perfect size and good power.

57 plate passat 1.9tdi mapped to 145 :tongue:
Feels really slow now though :frown: insurance is a bitch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, e46.

Maaaaaan, e90 330d is an absolute beast. If you were test driving it, please, for the sake of the driving experience it will give you, buy it.

Oh, what made you pick Passat? I've never considered it but I've come across like 3 people on these message boards who own and remap theirs; what's the appeal?
Original post by xmertic
It's only daft to a person, if that said person is willing to accept fines. What's the point in paying a fine when you could just stick to the posted limit?

You're the daft one.

And I quote

'the old bill even allow for this - even though I don't as I cba with points in the UK'

And now you wouldn't get fined doing 75mph in a 70mph area as most are set at + 10%.

You're still the daft one strictly adhering to government opposed limits like a sheep with no ability to judge the road himself.

If he asked me that question I'd say 'depends on the road conditions etc'. I wouldn't just go the set limit.
If I was in a hurry 80-90

If not, probably around 50-60 because I'm cheap and hate spending money on petrol.
Original post by Tabris
No, that's exactly how I interpreted it. That's why I said that some people wouldn't drive at speeds they aren't comfortable driving at. Most cars would be 'comfy' at 50mph, and 80mph. Some people don't go above those speeds because they are not comfortable with driving at those speeds. Some people aren't comfortable going above 30mph. You aren't comfortable with going at 120mph, but will happily go at 110mph. Read the first two sentences of my previous post properly instead of trying to argue semantics. I never talked about about literal comfort.

You don't seem to understand the concept of something out of your control happening. Believe it or not, people don't intend to get into accidents.That's why they're called accidents. I'm not sure why such a concept is alien to you. Like I've said, speed if you want, but don't assume that you can avert an accident, because not even F1 or professional rally car drivers can do that. There are always factors that are completely out of your control.

I've never been in an accident. I'm competent enough of a driver that I've prevented incidents from happening during awkward situations like with other cars thinking they could make a gap and whatever else, while going at speed. I am not so foolish as to think that I can deal with anything. If I have the misfortune of being involved in an accident, if the time ever comes, I know there's not a force in the universe that will stop it.

It doesn't matter about the impairment. Your justification is solely based on your feeling while driving. Some people are okay with having a little tipple, but under the legal limit. Some are okay with smoking weed before they drive. Some people are at ease when talking with a familiar voice and will talk on the phone while driving. Other people aren't okay with doing such things at all and won't drive at all after/during any such activities. What an individual is okay with doesn't mean much.

Speed by all means and enjoy your life. I've said that several times. There's no dispute with your actions, because like I've said already, nobody here can stop you. All I'm telling you to do is to be more honest about the reasons you drive fast, because the "me, me, me" reasoning flimsy and can be used to justify just about anything since we are all individuals and have individual quirks. Learn the definition of the word "accident" while you're at it.

You might take this as a personal slight. It isn't. I'm far from a perfect driver, but I don't try to justify any of my bad habits as being okay because I'm a competent driver. They are what they are.

If there's an accident its either your fault for being an idiot or someone elses fault for being an idiot. Two or more machines operated by humans. Nothing is really an accident - someone's blatent idiocy has caused it somewhere down the line.

All the people I know who've sped and crashed are generally idiots who shouldn't have been given a license in the first place.

The problem is the test. Make it harder to get idiots off the road. Some people have no respect for human life yet are given a deadly machine to operate at will - utterly ridiculous.
And I quote

'the old bill even allow for this - even though I don't as I cba with points in the UK'

And now you wouldn't get fined doing 75mph in a 70mph area as most are set at + 10%.

You're still the daft one strictly adhering to government opposed limits like a sheep with no ability to judge the road himself.

If he asked me that question I'd say 'depends on the road conditions etc'. I wouldn't just go the set limit.

You'll get fined for doing ANYTHING over the speed limit I think you'll find.

You can call me daft for abiding by a speed limit, but you're the one truly showing stupidity by trying to come across somewhat rebellious. It just looks stupid to be completely honest.

Are you even old enough to drive, or have you been playing Forza? :smile:
Reply 68
Yeah, e46.

Maaaaaan, e90 330d is an absolute beast. If you were test driving it, please, for the sake of the driving experience it will give you, buy it.

Oh, what made you pick Passat? I've never considered it but I've come across like 3 people on these message boards who own and remap theirs; what's the appeal?

My cousin owns it lol. Mega turbo lag though. Ive driven my dads c63 a couple times, once on the motorway, that's scarily quick tbh.

Once you get more power you just want more and more haha.

It's a good solid car, although size wise it's a bit too big for my liking, I prefer c class and 3 series size, but the jetta just doesn't look as good. Remap gives like a 35% performance increase makes a world of difference. I was only 17 when I started driving it too and 19 now, so insurance purposes too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
'Autobahn' is the word for motorway in German. Germany has no one 'Autobahn'. They're all called Autobahn, and they're all (mostly) free of speed limits, so you should really be asking if the UK had no speed limits rather than if it had an 'Autobahn' :rolleyes:
Reply 70
Original post by xmertic
You'll get fined for doing ANYTHING over the speed limit I think you'll find.

You can call me daft for abiding by a speed limit, but you're the one truly showing stupidity by trying to come across somewhat rebellious. It just looks stupid to be completely honest.

Are you even old enough to drive, or have you been playing Forza? :smile:

Don't diss forza :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tabris

It doesn't matter about the impairment. Your justification is solely based on your feeling while driving. Some people like to have a little tipple, but under the legal limit. Some people like to smoke weed before they drive. Some people are at ease when talking with a familiar voice and will talk on the phone while driving. None of those actions are really advisable.

To be honest, I did assume it was somewhat personal because you just didn't like the way I talk in my posts. But, you've cleared that up so it's cool - and no, I'm not being sarcastic. Just be careful with the condescending tone, there's no need for it.

It's a pretty bold assumption for you to say that I don't understand the concept of accidents. I never once said that I was immune from them. It's very valid for me to justify my speed by saying that I do it because I'm comfortable at those speeds. What other reason could there be? I've already cleared up that showing off is not a motive. In fact, I go fastest when dual-carriageways and motorways are empty so no one to show off to.

You're failing to understand that I just simply enjoy the sensation of going very quickly. I never said I was exempt from accidents/awkward situations, I said that I had never been in a serious one as a result of my speed. That doesn't even remotely imply that I don't think I can get into one.

Despite you saying that this isn't personal, you've certainly made a meal of this. Your quarrel is with my justification to speed. You relentlessly say that it is empty, simply because you can't comprehend that someone could enjoy driving very fast and through this enjoyment, achieve comfort. It's a justification that might not work with you, but it's a completely acceptable one to me. Like you said, we are all individuals, let's leave it there because this is only going to keep going in circles.
Reply 72
To be honest, I did assume it was somewhat personal because you just didn't like the way I talk in my posts. But, you've cleared that up so it's cool - and no, I'm not being sarcastic. Just be careful with the condescending tone, there's no need for it.

It's a pretty bold assumption for you to say that I don't understand the concept of accidents. I never once said that I was immune from them. It's very valid for me to justify my speed by saying that I do it because I'm comfortable at those speeds. What other reason could there be? I've already cleared up that showing off is not a motive. In fact, I go fastest when dual-carriageways and motorways are empty so no one to show off to.

You're failing to understand that I just simply enjoy the sensation of going very quickly. I never said I was exempt from accidents/awkward situations, I said that I had never been in a serious one as a result of my speed. That doesn't even remotely imply that I don't think I can get into one.

Despite you saying that this isn't personal, you've certainly made a meal of this. Your quarrel is with my justification to speed. You relentlessly say that it is empty, simply because you can't comprehend that someone could enjoy driving very fast and through this enjoyment, achieve comfort. It's a justification that might not work with you, but it's a completely acceptable one to me. Like you said, we are all individuals, let's leave it there because this is only going to keep going in circles.

Yeah, that was a poor assumption on my part, that's my mistake.

I completely understand that someone can enjoy speeding, that's why I said that you should be more honest than something as simple as being comfortable with going at speed, which is all you said initially. And since the last post you made (the one I previously quoted), you're actually being honest about it. I was supposed to say that in my previous post, but it got lost in re-arranging some of the text.

I know I used to get a rush from speeding. I know that most other people do and enjoy to do so because of that. Or simply because they're impatient and feel that getting somewhere a few minutes quicker is worth the effort.

It isn't as much of a meal as it may look like. At least, it isn't to me. You should have just said you liked speeding, like most other people, in the first place and that you don't speed in the presence of others, so as to put them at risk, no matter how small it may be.

If there's an accident its either your fault for being an idiot or someone elses fault for being an idiot. Two or more machines operated by humans. Nothing is really an accident - someone's blatent idiocy has caused it somewhere down the line.

All the people I know who've sped and crashed are generally idiots who shouldn't have been given a license in the first place.

The problem is the test. Make it harder to get idiots off the road. Some people have no respect for human life yet are given a deadly machine to operate at will - utterly ridiculous.

If you want to stretch, yeah, it all comes down to human error. Someone's fault for not securing an item that ended up on the road or another person's windscreen. Someone's fault for not checking their car for possible mechanical faults. Someone's fault for designing a vehicle that is liable to have certain faults. Someone's fault for creating cars in the first place.

The vast majority are down to driver incompetence, one way or another. But I think there are some things, like previously unknown design fault, that are almost completely out of the driver's control, at least.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bad8oy
My cousin owns it lol. Mega turbo lag though. Ive driven my dads c63 a couple times, once on the motorway, that's scarily quick tbh.

Once you get more power you just want more and more haha.

It's a good solid car, although size wise it's a bit too big for my liking, I prefer c class and 3 series size, but the jetta just doesn't look as good. Remap gives like a 35% performance increase makes a world of difference. I was only 17 when I started driving it too and 19 now, so insurance purposes too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really? Tell him to upgrade to the 335d :wink: 2 turbos means almost no lag what so ever.Wow, C63s are sick, you get to drive some pretty sweet cars.

Haha, the 3 series is a good size but I want something bigger! I want a 530d next summer but I probably wont be able to afford it so I'll settle with getting a facelifted 2010 e90 320d instead :wink:

How much is your insurance? Do you pay monthly or annually?
Original post by Tabris
Yeah, that was a poor assumption on my part, that's my mistake.

I completely understand that someone can enjoy speeding, that's why I said that you should be more honest than something as simple as being comfortable with going at speed, which is all you said initially. And since the last post you made (the one I previously quoted), you're actually being honest about it. I was supposed to say that in my previous post, but it got lost in re-arranging some of the text.

I know I used to get a rush from speeding. I know that most other people do and enjoy to do so because of that. Or simply because they're impatient and feel that getting somewhere a few minutes quicker is worth the effort.

It isn't as much of a meal as it may look like. At least, it isn't to me. You should have just said you liked speeding, like most other people, in the first place and that you don't speed in the presence of others, so as to put them at risk, no matter how small it may be.

Very good way to wrap up our conversation. Much appreciated, Tabris. Hope we get on a little better next time we speak :smile: Peace, buddy :smile:
I do hope all those people who have been saying that they do 100mph+ on the motorway know that, if they are ever caught, it is a straight ban. And I do hope, for all our sakes, they are either caught, or learn to slow down..
Original post by Choppie
I do hope all those people who have been saying that they do 100mph+ on the motorway know that, if they are ever caught, it is a straight ban. And I do hope, for all our sakes, they are either caught, or learn to slow down..

Simmer down dear. I only do 100mph plus in Germany on the Autobahn. Wouldn't do it in the UK as people like you get all hormonal about it.
Original post by SeamanStaines
With 10 lanes each side and light enough traffic that you can drive as fast as you like

what speed would you drive at ?

88mph
Simmer down dear. I only do 100mph plus in Germany on the Autobahn. Wouldn't do it in the UK as people like you get all hormonal about it.

It's more the fact that, on the occasion when there are two lorries overtaking each other, and all of us in low performing cars need to overtake in the 3rd lane, too, we can't. This is because of a solid wall of BMW 4x4s and other high performance cars doing 100mph+, which our cars can't match, let alone exceed, and so we're stuck behind these lorries, slowing down the rest of the motorway. However, if you travelled at a more sensible speed, eg 75 - 85 mph, which we can just about match, you'd get passed these lorries, and so would we. Hey presto, half of your motorway traffic is cut down.

That, and the fact that it is unbelievably dangerous for all involved if someone does happen to pull in front of you. Have you thought about how much stopping distances increase? Do you keep enough space? Because even if you didn't at 70, you may have been able to slow down to a slow speed like 40 or 30, and cause far less damage. Whereas at 100+, you may slow, but still crash at 60 or so, which becomes far more deadly.

Think of others as well as yourself. People enter the motorway on agreement that everyone will be doing 70. Going at 80 is already pushing that, and going at 100+ is just manic.
Original post by Choppie
It's more the fact that, on the occasion when there are two lorries overtaking each other, and all of us in low performing cars need to overtake in the 3rd lane, too, we can't. This is because of a solid wall of BMW 4x4s and other high performance cars doing 100mph+, which our cars can't match, let alone exceed, and so we're stuck behind these lorries, slowing down the rest of the motorway. However, if you travelled at a more sensible speed, eg 75 - 85 mph, which we can just about match, you'd get passed these lorries, and so would we. Hey presto, half of your motorway traffic is cut down.

That, and the fact that it is unbelievably dangerous for all involved if someone does happen to pull in front of you. Have you thought about how much stopping distances increase? Do you keep enough space? Because even if you didn't at 70, you may have been able to slow down to a slow speed like 40 or 30, and cause far less damage. Whereas at 100+, you may slow, but still crash at 60 or so, which becomes far more deadly.

Think of others as well as yourself. People enter the motorway on agreement that everyone will be doing 70. Going at 80 is already pushing that, and going at 100+ is just manic.

What part of the autobahn having unrestricted sections don't you understand? Sod all wrong doing 100mph plus on it and ive done it many times. Unlike the British the Germans actually have a bit of brain matter within their skull and don't go PC and start crying about everything and turning the country into a nanny state because some researcher from Oxbridge decided we should all be as molly coddled through life as he were.

Quick Reply