The Student Room Group

Is Islam being shown enough Respect in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I'm not ignorant at all.

Your comparison with a muslim praying and two homosexuals is wrong. Why? Because if somebody were to see two homosexuals in public kissing say, then yes, you may feel uncomfortable, even disgusted.

However, having somebody on the bus praying may not just disgust you, but may alarm you, perhaps even fear for your life. You know, a homosexual has never strapped a bomb to himself and tried to blow up a train. Having somebody pray next to you in Arabic is a unique situation which may elicit fear - I would be alarmed if I were on the bus.

Are you so dense, that you cannot see that the reason why people may be alarmed by this action is because of extremism? It's not ignorant to mention extremism, it's extremely pertinent.

I have nothing more to say to you. That is it, if you can't understand why people may be alarmed and may not like it, then go out into the real world - dont blame education.

lol, since we're getting patronising. Do YOU not understand why the reason i said education was so people will realise there's a difference between normal muslims and extremists? It's pure ignorance that makes people think the two are the same, as you do. Which is why i compared it to homosexuality, something else that is controversial in society.
Reply 61
Original post by Lulu24
Why is praying a scary thing lol? It involves no one! It's not forcing your beliefs on anyone either. You could say the situation is the same with homosexuals : They are publically expressing themselves despite some people not sharing the belief that they should and yet they are allowed to. Surely, everyone should be able to express themselves despite what others think? You can't live your life for other people. If you really wanna make this about extremists then we can, but it just shows how ignorant you are.

People panic nowadays if a muslim - go for stereotype 1 - starts praying in a public place because:

1. Tv shows tell us they are about to 'suicide bomb us'
2. The news 'suggests' they are about to bomb us
3. People confuse 'muslims' with 'terrorist extremists' - they are not synonyms.
4. They don't often have a religion themselves and therefore don't understand and resort to stereotypes (see 1 -3)

It's really sad, because I have met so many - what I call - REAL muslims - kind generous funny intelligent witty brilliant men, women and children - who are then abused in the street by the Ignorami that tar everyone with the same brush....

I don't think all tracksuit wearers scrounge off the government - yet that is a common stereotype - I don't think all Scots eat porridge for breakfast, toss a khyber as their morning exercise and wear kilts 24/7 - as it is another ridiculous stereotype.

Being Welsh, I am aware of many - no I have not had sexual relations with that sheep! - you know?! and nobody calls anyone Taffy... that's a Saes (English) thing - There are a lot of David, Dai, Dafydd, and Dewi's though...

Before long, the way Russia/Ukraine is going, there'll be more anti-Russia slurs and stereotypes for anyone with a remotely Eastern European accent... it may have already begun.... sigh... #HatersJustKeepOnHating
Original post by Lulu24
Well you shouldn't assume about me either missy since i MYSELF haven't read the Qur'an "again and again" and if you have done extra research then kudos to you, but as you mentioned your knowledge of Islam to be sourced from your school education i commented on it. So no i did not assume, only went off what you told me. Either way, i still feel the education system needs reform, not just with islam but with other religions too, it doesn't go into enough depth with something as important as religion. Dunno why you getting hype for o.O Evidently; the man did not care what reaction people would have.

Religion is only important to those who follow it. I never learnt about Islam at school, nor do I feel the need to learn about it or any other religion for that matter. I don't follow it so why do I need to know about it?

It doesn't even have anything to do with me, nor does it effect my everyday life. In my entire university there is one Muslim guy. That is it. Why do I need to learn about something which is completely redundant?
Original post by CryptoidAlien
I was on the bus today and this Muslim guy was praying and quite a lot of people were laughing at him, looking at him like he was crazy. I then overheard one guy say 'this isn't a mosque' but got off at that stop so don't know if there was an argument or fight. Is Islam shown enough respect in society, if any? I kind of understnad terrorism now.

Far too much respect, I'm not racist but our government concerns themselves with immigrants more than they do their own people.

I have one wish, and that is for the burka to be banned, but that's simply for safety reasons.
Reply 64
Original post by DiddyDec
Religion is only important to those who follow it. I never learnt about Islam at school, nor do I feel the need to learn about it or any other religion for that matter. I don't follow it so why do I need to know about it?

It doesn't even have anything to do with me, nor does it effect my everyday life. In my entire university there is one Muslim guy. That is it. Why do I need to learn about something which is completely redundant?

Sorry, if that's true, Then you're not relevant. Evidently, there is NOT a muslim guy praying on your bus. This kindve comment annoys the hell outve me, cause who made you the WHOLE of society? No one. Clearly my comment refers to society as a whole, as it is an issue in society. Not just you mate so why you talking about "doesn't effect me" shut up man -.- heesh.
Why do I need to learn about something which is completely redundant?

Because then we can't challenge their beliefs?
Original post by Lulu24
When you got to pray, you got to pray. We have deadlines and we can't be lte for them. What i think needs to happen is PROPER education so people wont feel it's so strange.

Nothing will happen if you're a few minutes late. muslim praying looks ridiculous, why can't they just clasp their hands and lowered their heads?
Reply 67
Original post by Skip_Snip
Nothing will happen if you're a few minutes late. muslim praying looks ridiculous, why can't they just clasp their hands and lowered their heads?

lol not even bothering with this.
Original post by Lulu24
Sorry, if that's true, Then you're not relevant. Evidently, there is NOT a muslim guy praying on your bus. This kindve comment annoys the hell outve me, cause who made you the WHOLE of society? No one. Clearly my comment refers to society as a whole, as it is an issue in society. Not just you mate so why you talking about "doesn't effect me" shut up man -.- heesh.

People don't need education about Islam unless they follow Islam. And it seems quite obvious that some of those people following Islam need a lot of education. You say we need to reform the education system, but we don't why should people need to learn about somebody else's faith? They don't follow it nor do they live by that religions laws.
Because then we can't challenge their beliefs?

And what good does challenging their beliefs do?
And what good does challenging their beliefs do?

Because it is religion (almost always Christianity and Islam) that is used to support some of the pretty awful ideas that we see thrown about concerning various issues - gay marriage, abortion, rights of women etc.
It is shown too much respect, as are all religions.
Because it is religion (almost always Christianity and Islam) that is used to support some of the pretty awful ideas that we see thrown about concerning various issues - gay marriage, abortion, rights of women etc.

So? We have a secular Government. There will always be support for terrible ideas whether it be through religion or not. Our government does not use religion to pass laws and make decisions to uses facts and evidence, not beliefs and superstition.
So? We have a secular Government. There will always be support for terrible ideas whether it be through religion or not. Our government does not use religion to pass laws and make decisions to uses facts and evidence, not beliefs and superstition.

No, but it's not just about the government, it's about individuals. While the government may act more objectively when passing laws (even this I would dispute - we have elections to elect a party, which each have their own ideology, and may do something out of ideological reasons rather than rational ones), this is about individuals, and the need to challenge individuals who may use their religious beliefs to in some way cause harm to another individual.
No, but it's not just about the government, it's about individuals. While the government may act more objectively when passing laws (even this I would dispute - we have elections to elect a party, which each have their own ideology, and may do something out of ideological reasons rather than rational ones), this is about individuals, and the need to challenge individuals who may use their religious beliefs to in some way cause harm to another individual.

You could know everything about someone's Ideology, but it wont stop them from believing what they want to believe. You may as well just go about your business and ignore them.
Reply 75
Original post by xmertic
Far too much respect, I'm not racist but our government concerns themselves with immigrants more than they do their own people.

I have one wish, and that is for the burka to be banned, but that's simply for safety reasons.

When you say burqa - which is the dress - or do you mean the hijab (the headscarf) or the niqaab - the face veil?

A lot of people go on about the burqa, but it is clear that they mean the niqaab. I am not muslim, but have worked with many muslim men and women and many who wear the burqa and hijab do not wear the niqaab.

I have only ever once taught (out of hundreds of students) a lady who was completely covered - head to toe - and she wore gloves and even a second veil to cover her eyes - she was the only woman in class and she was with her husband and she would only reveal her eyes in class when other men were around. When it was only me and her at lunch times, off came the gloves, the veil, and I saw her whole face and we would have brilliant conversations.

She was just very devout and believed that the only other man who should see her face was her husband. Some of the other teachers I worked with - men mainly - would be very cruel about her saying "oh she's probably ugly, that's why she covers up' which was horrific to hear and the usual, "Oh she's being told what to do by the husband? should be like that here"

She wasn't. She was very very devout, her father was an imaam so she was just as religious and observant about covering herself as an American preacher's daughter would be - she saw it as a sign of respecting herself.

Another student I taught asked (rather heartbreakingly) why everyone was so afraid of her when she tried to say hello and I had to explain our cultural difference about covering faces.

The Saudi ladies did it as a sign of respect for themselves and their religion.

In Western culture - I blame John Wayne etc - covering faces is what criminals do - it is hardwired into western culture that someone who covers their face "HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE"

But no one ever thinks the dude dressed up with a fake Santa outfit - face covered - is truly sinister - we of course know he must have been CRB/DBS checked... lol...

Or on halloween... people wearing masks aren't REALLY about to kill you....

Or in healthcare when a mask is used.... we trust them, even though it could have been any old med student in a mask.... rather than the qualified surgeon...

The other issue seems to be that we associate the colour black with mourning and death - which adds to the 'fear' from cultural differences and misunderstanding.

I have a fear of being in a bank with anyone who walks in wearing a president's mask.... but I blame Point Break for that one....
You could know everything about someone's Ideology, but it wont stop them from believing what they want to believe. You may as well just go about your business and ignore them.

I could yes, if it was me who was on the end of some sort of religious bigotry, I would ignore it. But if I saw somebody else who was being in some way harmed because of somebody elses beliefs, then why should you ignore it?
Original post by EL704
When you say burqa - which is the dress - or do you mean the hijab (the headscarf) or the niqaab - the face veil?

A lot of people go on about the burqa, but it is clear that they mean the niqaab. I am not muslim, but have worked with many muslim men and women and many who wear the burqa and hijab do not wear the niqaab.

I have only ever once taught (out of hundreds of students) a lady who was completely covered - head to toe - and she wore gloves and even a second veil to cover her eyes - she was the only woman in class and she was with her husband and she would only reveal her eyes in class when other men were around. When it was only me and her at lunch times, off came the gloves, the veil, and I saw her whole face and we would have brilliant conversations.

She was just very devout and believed that the only other man who should see her face was her husband. Some of the other teachers I worked with - men mainly - would be very cruel about her saying "oh she's probably ugly, that's why she covers up' which was horrific to hear and the usual, "Oh she's being told what to do by the husband? should be like that here"

She wasn't. She was very very devout, her father was an imaam so she was just as religious and observant about covering herself as an American preacher's daughter would be - she saw it as a sign of respecting herself.

Another student I taught asked (rather heartbreakingly) why everyone was so afraid of her when she tried to say hello and I had to explain our cultural difference about covering faces.

The Saudi ladies did it as a sign of respect for themselves and their religion.

In Western culture - I blame John Wayne etc - covering faces is what criminals do - it is hardwired into western culture that someone who covers their face "HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE"

But no one ever thinks the dude dressed up with a fake Santa outfit - face covered - is truly sinister - we of course know he must have been CRB/DBS checked... lol...

Or on halloween... people wearing masks aren't REALLY about to kill you....

Or in healthcare when a mask is used.... we trust them, even though it could have been any old med student in a mask.... rather than the qualified surgeon...

The other issue seems to be that we associate the colour black with mourning and death - which adds to the 'fear' from cultural differences and misunderstanding.

I have a fear of being in a bank with anyone who walks in wearing a president's mask.... but I blame Point Break for that one....

If it covers the face, it should be banned.

It's late, I'm not reading your whole response. I read the health care bit though, yeah but you know who the doctor or medical person is who is operating on you or doing something to you. So it's easy to get a hold of them. When it's a random person on the street, not so easy.
I'm not ignorant at all.

Your comparison with a muslim praying and two homosexuals is wrong. Why? Because if somebody were to see two homosexuals in public kissing say, then yes, you may feel uncomfortable, even disgusted.

However, having somebody on the bus praying may not just disgust you, but may alarm you, perhaps even fear for your life. You know, a homosexual has never strapped a bomb to himself and tried to blow up a train. Having somebody pray next to you in Arabic is a unique situation which may elicit fear - I would be alarmed if I were on the bus.

Are you so dense, that you cannot see that the reason why people may be alarmed by this action is because of extremism? It's not ignorant to mention extremism, it's extremely pertinent.

I have nothing more to say to you. That is it, if you can't understand why people may be alarmed and may not like it, then go out into the real world - dont blame education.

But clearly, all is well if they pray in a language that you understand. They could be praying that you could be killed and the world nuked for all we know!
I could yes, if it was me who was on the end of some sort of religious bigotry, I would ignore it. But if I saw somebody else who was being in some way harmed because of somebody elses beliefs, then why should you ignore it?

If you saw someone else on the other end I would understand. But I have never come across it in Britain and I really don't care about places outside the EU. They are too far away to actually effect me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending