The Student Room Group

If the UK had an autobahn..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Choppie
I do hope all those people who have been saying that they do 100mph+ on the motorway know that, if they are ever caught, it is a straight ban. And I do hope, for all our sakes, they are either caught, or learn to slow down..

Forget being caught, I have zero sympathy for those people, and I wouldn't care if they died as long as they only crash into the barriers/a wall and not others.

If they only get caught they will only do it again and might end up injuring someone else.
Original post by Sanctimonious
What part of the autobahn having unrestricted sections don't you understand? Sod all wrong doing 100mph plus on it and ive done it many times. Unlike the British the Germans actually have a bit of brain matter within their skull and don't go PC and start crying about everything and turning the country into a nanny state because some researcher from Oxbridge decided we should all be as molly coddled through life as he were.

I was referring to people doing 100mph+ on British motorways as they currently are. I have not mentioned Germany, nor Germans, once.
Reply 82
Original post by live_a_life
Ah that'd be annoying!

My car maintains over 50mpg at a consistent 110mph. I haven't really checked it at any higher speeds since economy is the last thing on my mind when driving that fast!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to break it to you, but your speedo is wrong. What you're describing is a car that can get north of 150mpg at 70mph...
Original post by Butane
Sorry to break it to you, but your speedo is wrong. What you're describing is a car that can get north of 150mpg at 70mph...

They need to recall this car then because my aunt's read the same.

I'll test it properly and get back to you.

EDIT: Screw testing this - I've just realised how absurd my claim was. Well I know I get definitely get over 55mpg when cruising at 70mph. So I expect that 110mph returns a reasonable mpg even though that figure is significantly lower than 50mpg. No idea why I posted that without thinking - apologies for the silly and meaningless claim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 84
Oh really? Tell him to upgrade to the 335d :wink: 2 turbos means almost no lag what so ever.Wow, C63s are sick, you get to drive some pretty sweet cars.

Haha, the 3 series is a good size but I want something bigger! I want a 530d next summer but I probably wont be able to afford it so I'll settle with getting a facelifted 2010 e90 320d instead :wink:

How much is your insurance? Do you pay monthly or annually?

Yeah it's just the fact that it makes a little thirstier.
Yeah the e90 feels tons smaller then the passat.
Which 530d you thinking f10 or e60?
Wouldn't go for a e60 now looks too old.
E90 320d remapped will be pretty quick to be fair.

£1500 atm how about you?
How old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
One thing people seem to miss out, it isn't just the 10-lane that makes the autobahns so good. One of the main drawbacks of the British motorways is driver skill and attitude which are far behind that of the Germans. Plenty of selfish drivers who hog the outside lane and plenty who pull out without looking. Much better than the French obviously but still a long way to go in terms of lane discipline when compared to the Germans. One thing for sure, the 70MPH speed limit together with it being a fairly affluent country where majority of cars sold tend to be fairly sturdy does help significantly as most new cars generally can be involved in a crash on a motorway without occupants being seriously injured.

As for me, one reason why I have a Tesla is none other than Norway has very low speed limits and it is strictly enforced with very high penalties. The Tesla makes perfect sense because the faster you go then immediately you see your range reduce by a significant amount and there is a big noticeable difference when you do 90kph vs doing 110kph. Therefore as "refueling" does take time if I'm not within a supercharger I don't really do beyond 90kph or 100kph, one thing for sure if ever they change the speed limits I must find a way to get rid of the tyre noise which can be annoying at higher speeds. I generally drive quite well when in Norway and for the most part very well mannered. Somehow or rather the moment I get behind the wheel of my LR Discovery in England I tend to forget the 70MPH speed limit and usually do 80-100MPH where it is safe to do so.

If UK had an autobahn with no speed limits, believe it or not when motorways were first built in UK there was actually no speed limits to it at all. I probably would do 110MPH as I don't believe doing any faster changes anything for me and driving a Land Rover does come with quite a few downsides chief among which is stopping distances isn't that great and there does seem to be quite a lot of wind noises once you hit 90MPH. The other issue is the tyres for it isn't really the type for doing high speed.
Original post by bad8oy
Yeah it's just the fact that it makes a little thirstier.
Yeah the e90 feels tons smaller then the passat.
Which 530d you thinking f10 or e60?
Wouldn't go for a e60 now looks too old.
E90 320d remapped will be pretty quick to be fair.

£1500 atm how about you?
How old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 21.

£70 per month. If I'd have paid upfront I think it would have been around £700-750.

100% the F10. That thing is amazing :smile: I'm not too interested in remapping my cars. The E90 320d has like 184bhp. That would be plenty to keep me happy for a year or so. When I get bored, I'll just sell it and get something bigger.
I'm 21.

£70 per month. If I'd have paid upfront I think it would have been around £700-750.

100% the F10. That thing is amazing :smile: I'm not too interested in remapping my cars. The E90 320d has like 184bhp. That would be plenty to keep me happy for a year or so. When I get bored, I'll just sell it and get something bigger.

Been trialling a F10 525d xDrive. I must say anyone who chooses to buy a late model E60 over an early model F10 has got to be very crazy. Never seen such a big quantum leap in improvements a BMW generation has ever had. We been trialling it against an Audi A6, Jaguar XF and Mercedes E-Class. Got to say the Jaguar and Mercedes has been big surprises.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending