The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Phone networks that work well in Bath?

I'm thinking of getting a new phone for when I go to uni in September and was wondering if anyone who already goes to Bath could let me know which phone network would be good to go with. This seems like a weird question haha but I currently have a phone with 3 and, while it works fine where I live, it has often had no signal when I've been to different places in the country. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by DrMeredithGrey
I'm thinking of getting a new phone for when I go to uni in September and was wondering if anyone who already goes to Bath could let me know which phone network would be good to go with. This seems like a weird question haha but I currently have a phone with 3 and, while it works fine where I live, it has often had no signal when I've been to different places in the country. Thanks in advance!

I'm on 3 (The One Plan, which is great because I get 4G at no extra cost and all you can eat data with no caps at all haha) and the signal is completely fine in Bath.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Most work fine everywhere other than woodland. If you're living there good luck calling anyone on any network :tongue:
I use Orange (EE) and never had a problem anywhere in the city/campus, I've never heard of anyone having particular trouble on any network really
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Has anyone tried GiffGaff or O2?
The GiffGaff deals seem very enticing!! :biggrin:
15 pound package for unlimited internet + texts!!

Any one have complaints with GiffGaff or O2 network coverage in Bath?

EDIT: And how about 4G? Does Bath have coverage from any of the carriers?
(edited 9 years ago)
NOT Vodafone... I switched mine to EE as when in Bath I would hardly ever have signal on campus and everytime I tried to ring someone the call would fail. EE has been much better for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Twigleheight
NOT Vodafone... I switched mine to EE as when in Bath I would hardly ever have signal on campus and everytime I tried to ring someone the call would fail. EE has been much better for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I avoid EE as I get reminded of the Kevin Bacon ads and makes me wanna kill myself
Original post by cdude
I avoid EE as I get reminded of the Kevin Bacon ads and makes me wanna kill myself

Fair enough, just try and stay away from Vodafone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I used to have O2 during the first half of year one, but then switched to Orange/EE. O2 didnt have fantastic coverage on campus. Maybe its better now. EE now offers 4G in Bath anyway, so Im gonna stick with them.
I'm on Giffgaff (O2) and signal is fine in and around Bath - it was occasionally patchy on campus, but that was more because I had a Crapberry; now I have an iPhone it's fine.
Reply 10
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I'm on Giffgaff (O2) and signal is fine in and around Bath - it was occasionally patchy on campus, but that was more because I had a Crapberry; now I have an iPhone it's fine.

Great! I really want to get on GiffGaff when I get my new Xperia Z2. I'm an international student and not too familiar with the carriers in the UK. Out of interest, are their unlimited internet bundles truly "unlimited"? Like can you download as much data as your hear desires? :biggrin:
And which data bundle did you find best for your needs? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by UVLight
Great! I really want to get on GiffGaff when I get my new Xperia Z2. I'm an international student and not too familiar with the carriers in the UK. Out of interest, are their unlimited internet bundles truly "unlimited"? Like can you download as much data as your hear desires? :biggrin:
And which data bundle did you find best for your needs? :smile:

Well, nominally you get data as much as you want. But there were past issue that one use its Giffgaff Sim card as a hot-spot for all his devices and then his Sim just be suspended.

I personally think Gif is a great choice for a International student when he/she just arrived in the country (Low tariffs for international calls and cheap monthly offer). But you will find difficult to cope with it due to the low quality of signal (I studied in Salisbury last year and signal there was quite a nightmare for me).

Btw, I just bought a same Phone as you did. LOL
Three have switched on 4G in Bath in the last few weeks too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by ImRip
Well, nominally you get data as much as you want. But there were past issue that one use its Giffgaff Sim card as a hot-spot for all his devices and then his Sim just be suspended.

I personally think Gif is a great choice for a International student when he/she just arrived in the country (Low tariffs for international calls and cheap monthly offer). But you will find difficult to cope with it due to the low quality of signal (I studied in Salisbury last year and signal there was quite a nightmare for me).

Btw, I just bought a same Phone as you did. LOL

Cool! Yeah I liked the deals they were offering, but I wasn't aware that they're signal issues were that bad, I thought they used the O2 network which is quite popular. Are there any other providers you would recommend? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest