The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What is your view of the educational system currently?
I personally felt at that age that education was really dull, and that the stuff we were learning was pointless.
Do you show your students the practical application of the skills they learn: essentially why it is they are learning what they are?
Reply 181
What do you think of The Student Room?
Original post by Bedo
Do you ever say the word "head" very slowly in front of the boys in your class?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't get it...
Do you sometimes laugh to yourself at ridiculous names on a register?
Original post by Prit B
What do you think of The Student Room?

It's alright I guess.

Original post by hellodave5
What is your view of the educational system currently?
I personally felt at that age that education was really dull, and that the stuff we were learning was pointless.
Do you show your students the practical application of the skills they learn: essentially why it is they are learning what they are?

No I don't show them the practical application often because there is not enough time. We have to teach a massive curriculum and often we're just cramming facts and formulas into their heads. We're very limited in what we can do.

I also believe that our attitude towards education in Britain is really poor compared to, say, Singapore and Finland. People in those countries really value educational success and it's those that don't succeed in school and those that do disrupt who are usually seen as the losers. In this country, we glorify the rude and rebellious students who disrupt the education of others and those that do as they are told are called names like 'teacher's pet' and 'keeno'.
Original post by EdenHazard
Do you sometimes laugh to yourself at ridiculous names on a register?

Yep.

I'd probably laugh if there were an 'Eden Hazard'.
Reply 186
Original post by Autistic Merit
It's alright I guess.

No I don't show them the practical application often because there is not enough time. We have to teach a massive curriculum and often we're just cramming facts and formulas into their heads. We're very limited in what we can do.

I also believe that our attitude towards education in Britain is really poor compared to, say, Singapore and Finland. People in those countries really value educational success and it's those that don't succeed in school and those that do disrupt who are usually seen as the losers. In this country, we glorify the rude and rebellious students who disrupt the education of others and those that do as they are told are called names like 'teacher's pet' and 'keeno'.

Agreed
Yep.

I'd probably laugh if there were an 'Eden Hazard'.

Interesting, other questions;

- Do you see yourself as a classical Economist or Keynesian Economist?
- What team do you support?
- Is there a more talented player than Eden Hazard out there?
- What subject do you teach?
What's the funniest thing that has happened in the classroom?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's alright I guess.

What good is teaching raw facts, if its not meaningful and interesting? To the less academically inclined children (due to things such as socioeconomic status and parental education), they may not give a crap.

I remember I barely ever did any homework ever; got detention every week (cause you know, it worked the first time in getting me to do homework :s-smilie:)... and saw no point in the work, so didn't give any effort.
I hated early education in school and 6th form. Worst time of my life... felt completely failed by the schooling system. Sort it out plz :P

What do you think is the route of the differences in values between as you say the UK and places like Singapore and Finland? Just the wider societal value placed on education which is then expressed through the kids attitudes?

Would you say that teachers have appropriate understanding of child psychology and that of learning? From my educational experiences there are many that didn't know anything of it.
Original post by hellodave5

What do you think is the route of the differences in values between as you say the UK and places like Singapore and Finland? Just the wider societal value placed on education which is then expressed through the kids attitudes?

Would you say that teachers have appropriate understanding of child psychology and that of learning? From my educational experiences there are many that didn't know anything of it.

Some of my teaching colleagues have been to Singapore and, from what they said, it didn't seem as if the curriculum there was drastically different. All they noticed was that students listened carefully to the teacher, followed their instructions and worked hard outside of school too. In fact, some students seemed to be workaholics.

Low level disruption was barely ever seen; I think the worst thing you could see there was the occasional student daydreaming or staring out of the window. The lessons were not necessarily all singing, all dancing either. A lot of them were boring and content-heavy.
Original post by EdenHazard
Interesting, other questions;

- Do you see yourself as a classical Economist or Keynesian Economist?
- What team do you support?
- Is there a more talented player than Eden Hazard out there?
- What subject do you teach?

- Wot
- Man City
- Yes, James Rodriguez has more talent
- Maths

Original post by WriterOfWrongs
What's the funniest thing that has happened in the classroom?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me farting loudly. :colone:

Me farting loudly. :colone:

Did the students react to that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explain the lyrics to me please.

Original post by C0balt
Did the students react to that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some laughed, some reacted with disgust.
Explain the lyrics to me please.

Some laughed, some reacted with disgust.

Clearly the lyrics are about the tensions which can and do exist between for example but not exclusively, male teachers and teenage girls.
Are you a student?
Original post by Limpopo
Clearly the lyrics are about the tensions which can and do exist between for example but not exclusively, male teachers and teenage girls.

Yeah I've been there... Kinda awkward...

Original post by Nadine_08
Are you a student?

I'm a teacher.
what is your pay after deductions per month?
Is teaching everything you expected it to be?
Is there any other career that you want to go into or are you happy with teaching?
Are you the kind of teacher that is just strictly teaching or do you sometimes share stories and anecdotes with your students?
And which year group are your least favourite to teach? :smile:

Latest