The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing advice!

Hi everyone!
I'm applying to children's nursing this year. The unis I'm looking at are Cardiff, South Wales, UWE, Worcester and Swansea - but this might change :smile: Basically I know I want to do children's nursing, but I want to be as prepared as possible so any information or advice you guys could give me would be amazing!
I'm a little worried as I've read that you have to go through medical record checks. I was in an accident just over a year ago and ever since I've been suffering from occipital neuralgia and post concussive syndrome. Although the post concussive syndrome is completely gone now and the neuralgia is getting better (almost gone! :biggrin:), it did result in quite a few visits to A&E and a couple of hospitalisations over the past year, along with an MRI and a CT scan of my brain. Although I know that my health is no problem now, my medical records would suggest differently because of the hospitalisations etc. I'd really appreciate any information from anyone going through applications to nursing or who has been through them, do you think this is going to be a problem? Has anyone else on here gotten into nursing despite a problematic medical history?

Any advice about anything would be helpful really! Medical checks, work experience, my universities, the application process, or anything I need to consider etc...

Thanks guys!:smile:

P.S. If anyone's interested in the accident and the health issues I've had - just ask! I'd be happy to answer any questions :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey thee, just going to give this thread a little bump in the hopes that someone will see this and be able to give you a reply. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey thee, just going to give this thread a little bump in the hopes that someone will see this and be able to give you a reply. :smile:

Thank you!:smile:
Hey!
Glad to hear you're doing well :smile:
Occy health is usually separate from the university and admissions.
I know the uni im applying to have already seen a few people thay wrote things on their o.h form. They just had a little talk and what not to ensure they were fit for the course. Once a-level results are in they have to see o.h health again for injections etc.
But I have never heard of anyone being refused down to o.h. you just need to think of it from the patients perspective. You wouldnt want someone who was ill looking after you or someone on the course who couldn't cope and it was going to make them worse health wise. It isnt fair on any parties that way.
So try not to worrys. If you can show them that your health is better now and you're prepared for the course and what lies ahead I shouldn't see why you'd be refused onto the course?! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by deviant182
Hey!
Glad to hear you're doing well :smile:
Occy health is usually separate from the university and admissions.
I know the uni im applying to have already seen a few people thay wrote things on their o.h form. They just had a little talk and what not to ensure they were fit for the course. Once a-level results are in they have to see o.h health again for injections etc.
But I have never heard of anyone being refused down to o.h. you just need to think of it from the patients perspective. You wouldnt want someone who was ill looking after you or someone on the course who couldn't cope and it was going to make them worse health wise. It isnt fair on any parties that way.
So try not to worrys. If you can show them that your health is better now and you're prepared for the course and what lies ahead I shouldn't see why you'd be refused onto the course?! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thank you! That puts my mind at rest a bit :smile: when are you applying for admission?
Original post by Dannaaay
Ah thank you! That puts my mind at rest a bit :smile: when are you applying for admission?

Ive applied to Queens Belfast, im starting there in Sept to do learning disability nursing. Cannot wait :smile:
I've had my occy health check at work but im awaiting mine from university. As I've had one from work which is under the same trust as uni placements I won't have my appointment for a while as I dont need injections etc :smile:
But I wouldn't worry, an occupational health check isnt to catch you out or anything it's to make sure you are safe and your potential patients are safe :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by deviant182
Ive applied to Queens Belfast, im starting there in Sept to do learning disability nursing. Cannot wait :smile:
I've had my occy health check at work but im awaiting mine from university. As I've had one from work which is under the same trust as uni placements I won't have my appointment for a while as I dont need injections etc :smile:
But I wouldn't worry, an occupational health check isnt to catch you out or anything it's to make sure you are safe and your potential patients are safe :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh well good luck! :smile: Thank you for helping out!:smile:
Original post by Dannaaay
Hi everyone!
I'm applying to children's nursing this year. The unis I'm looking at are Cardiff, South Wales, UWE, Worcester and Swansea - but this might change :smile: Basically I know I want to do children's nursing, but I want to be as prepared as possible so any information or advice you guys could give me would be amazing!
I'm a little worried as I've read that you have to go through medical record checks. I was in an accident just over a year ago and ever since I've been suffering from occipital neuralgia and post concussive syndrome. Although the post concussive syndrome is completely gone now and the neuralgia is getting better (almost gone! :biggrin:), it did result in quite a few visits to A&E and a couple of hospitalisations over the past year, along with an MRI and a CT scan of my brain. Although I know that my health is no problem now, my medical records would suggest differently because of the hospitalisations etc. I'd really appreciate any information from anyone going through applications to nursing or who has been through them, do you think this is going to be a problem? Has anyone else on here gotten into nursing despite a problematic medical history?

Any advice about anything would be helpful really! Medical checks, work experience, my universities, the application process, or anything I need to consider etc...

Thanks guys!:smile:

P.S. If anyone's interested in the accident and the health issues I've had - just ask! I'd be happy to answer any questions :smile:

Hello,

A lot of people get worried about this. The whole reason you have occupational health is to make sure you are safe to practice in placement. They will then identify areas in which you may need support. I have 2 people on my course who have M.E. and they have had support from occupational health with this. In one of of our first lectures we were told to declare everything - one of the lecturers said she supported a student nurse who had epilepsy to complete her degree.

You should be fine. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by dollydaydream24
Hello,

A lot of people get worried about this. The whole reason you have occupational health is to make sure you are safe to practice in placement. They will then identify areas in which you may need support. I have 2 people on my course who have M.E. and they have had support from occupational health with this. In one of of our first lectures we were told to declare everything - one of the lecturers said she supported a student nurse who had epilepsy to complete her degree.

You should be fine. :smile:

Ah thank you, that definitely helps put my mind at rest!:smile:
I know nursing is what I want to do and I'd be gutted if my past medical history stopped that from happening. All to do now is wait until Thursday for results day :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest