The Student Room Group

Ear piercing consent age

I'm 17 and my cousin is 15 and we're going to get our ears pierced tomorrow, does she need consent from her mum? I'm getting a second lobe piercing and she's hopefully getting her first lobe piercing. If she needs consent would I be able to give her consent as her mother was present when we agreed to go? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You should call up the place and ask. Alternatively say you're both 17. If they need consent I doubt you could give it, as you'd probably need to be over 21 or at least over 18.
Reply 2
Original post by Bobbi!
You should call up the place and ask. Alternatively say you're both 17. If they need consent I doubt you could give it, as you'd probably need to be over 21 or at least over 18.

Okay thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In England and Wales there is no legal age on ear piercings and no parental permission is required.

In Scotland, children under 16 need parental permission.

Despite many piercing salons imposing their own age restrictions for body piercings, there is no legal age restriction for any kind of piercing in England and Wales, unlike in Scotland, where people under 16 are required to have a parent’s permission before having ears and other body parts pierced.

Source : http://yougov.co.uk/news/2011/11/08/age-limit-piercings/
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
In England and Wales there is no legal age on ear piercings and no parental permission is required.

In Scotland, children under 16 need parental permission.

Source : http://yougov.co.uk/news/2011/11/08/age-limit-piercings/

Me and my cousin didn't need the permission has but she wanted her mum with her anyway haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jo890
Me and my cousin didn't need the permission has but she wanted her mum with her anyway haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay fair enough.

I'm yet to go down that road with my daughter. She's nearly 9. She did once a few years ago when she was about 5 or 6 ask me if she could get her ears pierced, purely because a friend of hers got them pierced.
I told her it hurts, and she said "ok" and never asked again haha.
I had mine done when I was 8.

I had my seconds done when I was 14, don't remember needing permission. Had my nose done at 16, don't remember needing permission either

Quick Reply

Latest