The Student Room Group

What's accommodation in university really like?

My mum hates that I want to go away for uni, she's even said that I should just travel by train from London to Sussex every day.

Her main problems are:
1) People will steal your food
2) You won't be able to revise because people who don't have exams will be partying

What are the real pros and cons?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelseajanett
My mum hates that I want to go away for uni, she's even said that I should just travel by train from London to Sussex every day.

Her main problems are:
2) You won't be able to revise because people who don't have exams will be partying

1) Depends on who you get. It happens rarely within a particular flat. I had no people stealing food, but stuff like milk I asked permission if I didnt have any of my own.

2) Again, depends on who you get as flatmates. I was the more studious one out of my flatmates and I couldn't hear much as they used to have pre drinks at another flat.

In a nutshell, it depends entirely on the people you are sharing with.

Her main problems are:

I lost less than £10 of stuff in my entire first year and that was mainly due to my accommodation being terrible and anyone in the building being able to get into every kitchen. Not a standard design.

There are libraries for revising in if people are too loud but they're normally fine. Occasionally they're loud but RAs usually sort them out.
Reply 3
I had a horrible, horrible time in halls and my boyfriend did too. I ended up just moving back home but still paying for halls as I couldn't get out of the contract.
I am definitely a fun and outgoing person, but people in halls are so ****ing annoying and disgusting. My room was like a prison cell, NO ONE cleaned, and my kitchen was disgusting, no one took the bin out and we had infestations of flies. People do steal your food and alcohol given the chance.
I just generally found halls a really depressing place, which is really out of character for me.

My boyfriend had moronic flatmates. They would paint stupid things on his door, fill his bedroom with rubbish, broke all of his kitchen things, CONSTANTLY ate his food, put his keys in a tuppaware of water and froze them. CONSTANT music and singing.

It's not for everyone.
I can't say I ever had a problem with food theft. The odd bit of milk was borrowed here and there, but not enough to make a fuss about, and certainly people weren't nicking packets of meat or anything like that.

Everyone had exams at the same time, so we all needed to revise anyway, plus security and the wardens enforced a noise ban during exams anyway. I didn't have any problems with getting my work done due to exams, and I lived in halls commonly thought of as party halls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never really had a problem with food lost a lobster once but nothing much after that.

People tend not to party while exams are pm and are pretty cool if you ask them to keep it down especially over the exam period.

Living out is so worth it I would do it whatever your mum says

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never had a problem with food being stolen or not being able to study. When we first moved in, me and my flatmates decided to pool money and do a huge shop every week, and we all shared the food.

The studying, we all ended up studying anyway (I had no exams, but a lot of coursework anyway). However, one of my flatmates insisted on having loud music - of which then I put my headphones on.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Never really had a problem with food lost a lobster once but nothing much after that.

You sure it was dead? :lol:
Original post by ryan9900
You sure it was dead? :lol:

Lol yeah pretty sure was my own fault really who could resist such a thing in a students kitchen it was my winning's from a lottery ticket £20 from lidl
Original post by jonathanemptage
Lol yeah pretty sure was my own fault really who could resist such a thing in a students kitchen it was my winning's from a lottery ticket £20 from lidl

Haha fair enough. I've heard some things but having a lobster stolen is definitely a new one.
To answer your original question... I suppose the answer would be 's**t'.
People do steal food and cutlery. They mess up the communal areas. Have many strangers over in your shared kitchen. Make a lot of noise. You also kind of stuck in a small space, which feels very institutionalised. Stuck with people you may not want to be for an entire year too.
My opinions, from my girlfriends 2 years experience at halls and my visits.

Yay.
Original post by ldsbabe
I had a horrible, horrible time in halls and my boyfriend did too. I ended up just moving back home but still paying for halls as I couldn't get out of the contract.
I am definitely a fun and outgoing person, but people in halls are so ****ing annoying and disgusting. My room was like a prison cell, NO ONE cleaned, and my kitchen was disgusting, no one took the bin out and we had infestations of flies. People do steal your food and alcohol given the chance.
I just generally found halls a really depressing place, which is really out of character for me.

My boyfriend had moronic flatmates. They would paint stupid things on his door, fill his bedroom with rubbish, broke all of his kitchen things, CONSTANTLY ate his food, put his keys in a tuppaware of water and froze them. CONSTANT music and singing.

It's not for everyone.

Sorry to hear!
Didn't have a big problem with food theft last year, though some of my knives did go missing and going into the kitchen needed a strong stomach sometimes. Partying...meh, wasn't so bad after freshers. Apart from that guy who sprinted down a corridor screaming that he was a Time Lord shortly after Christmas, at four in the morning.

Her main problems are:

Unluckily for me I had both said issues your mum is worried about.

I was in a University up North for the duration of last year ... And for a place with a 78% student satisfaction rate, I was at about 40.

Got there, everything was great. Nice people who came to see me, etc ... First week, god knows how much food is stolen by these three 3rd year chumps. Kitchen an utter mess, baths rooms hadn't been cleaned for a week.

This **** carried on for 4 months until one night in went into chaos. I was busy working my ass off at 3 am one night. I heard the 3 pricks come back, shouting and carrying on. Then I heard a smash coming from the kitchen and laughs. I didn't want to get involved so I went to bed.

The next morning we all get knocks on our doors by the cleaners. The kitchen was a bomb site ... The toilet had a massive turd on top of it (near the flush).

Kitchen was out of bounds for 2 days so we had to either but tin food or takeaways.

These 3 guys were absolute *****. If any of them are reading I hope you got what you deserved.
Original post by Herry Bawl Sak
Unluckily for me I had both said issues your mum is worried about.

I was in a University up North for the duration of last year ... And for a place with a 78% student satisfaction rate, I was at about 40.

Got there, everything was great. Nice people who came to see me, etc ... First week, god knows how much food is stolen by these three 3rd year chumps. Kitchen an utter mess, baths rooms hadn't been cleaned for a week.

This **** carried on for 4 months until one night in went into chaos. I was busy working my ass off at 3 am one night. I heard the 3 pricks come back, shouting and carrying on. Then I heard a smash coming from the kitchen and laughs. I didn't want to get involved so I went to bed.

The next morning we all get knocks on our doors by the cleaners. The kitchen was a bomb site ... The toilet had a massive turd on top of it (near the flush).

Kitchen was out of bounds for 2 days so we had to either but tin food or takeaways.

These 3 guys were absolute *****. If any of them are reading I hope you got what you deserved.

Which uni was it?! :eek:
Which uni was it?! :eek:

Keele ... ****ing dump.

Her main problems are:

1) Only if they don't like you
2) Everyone has exams
I have yet to find out.
Reply 18

Her main problems are:

Let me tell you! Travelling from London to a university anywhere else in the South East is a nono. It's not worth it. Even if you are studying a course that requires two hours a week in class time, it's not worth the hassle. Besides if you going to university to do a degree why not immerse yourself in the whole experience. To answer your questions.
1. Yes some people could steal your food, but all you have to do it tell your flat mates its not cool and they'll stop.
2. Most if not all universities have a library attached to them. Even if you accommodation is noisy, there are plenty of places to study at university.
There is this really funny book I read on amazon called "the secret diary of university student:unlocked" maybe you could check that out for more help on accommodation.

peace x
I never had my food stolen and my flatmates were literally hermits, I never heard a peep from them. The most noise that was ever made in my flat was me in the kitchen when the microwave went off 'ding ding'.

It depends on the people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending