The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Psyc_Girl
What advice would you give to someone who is hoping to become a teacher in the future?

It will take over your life.

Do you feel like teaching has become more of a place for behaviour management rather than actually teaching?

Yes, definitely. Even in a good school this is the case.

How do you normally react if someone is misbehaving in your class? And if you place them in another classroom, how comes when they'd probably then distract that class?

They usually have to go through about 10 warnings before they are chucked out. If they are thrown out then they go into a 6th form class so they won't misbehave there.

Do teachers hold grudges against certain children? Do teachers have favourites?

My favourites change every day. It just depends on who has been really polite to me or made my day that day.

Do you regret becoming a teacher?

No but it is very stressful.

What has been your most enjoyable moment as a teacher and what has been the worst?

Best was getting fantastic results and realising that my Year 8s liked me and were going to miss me.

​Worst was any incident in which I've been assaulted, sworn at or when a student has defied my instructions.

Okay i'm done now :colondollar:

Answers given.
Original post by arfah
I have, don't worry I'm keeping it a secret obviously:wink: No one needs to know

Given that your profile says you're Dutch, I think you're bluffing. I myself am a Briton.

Original post by Joshale
I guess it depends on the student too and how the teacher is, If I had a new teacher and he was instantly off the radar strict, it would of fuelled me and my mates to 'terroize' him, although I must say my favourite teacher was strict, but also a guy you could talk to about sports and stuff, I think a mixture of being able to bond with your students, but also not being taken for an idiot

I am also very young and I look like a 6th former so I have to establish boundaries at the start to let them know that I care about their education and I am not their 'mate'. I can be friendly with them when I know them more and know what approach I can take with them.
Original post by Autistic Merit
Answers given.

Thanks for the replies :redface:. The behaviour is quite a worry for me as I'm only tiny (not even 5ft) and I doubt I'll grow any taller so I might be seen as an east target if I was to end up becoming a teacher :frown:.

Overall, would you recommend teaching as a job or would you advise to steer well clear due to the nature of the job?
- Wot
- Man City
- Yes, James Rodriguez has more talent
- Maths

- Clearly your Economic knowledge is lacking.
- Man City? Can I remind you that Eden Hazard destroyed you home and away?
- James Rodriguez had a better World Cup, doesn't means he's more talented.
- Did you see the Edexcel M1 paper? Complete nightmare.
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Thanks for the replies :redface:. The behaviour is quite a worry for me as I'm only tiny (not even 5ft) and I doubt I'll grow any taller so I might be seen as an east target if I was to end up becoming a teacher :frown:.

Overall, would you recommend teaching as a job or would you advise to steer well clear due to the nature of the job?

If you start teaching at a **** and non-supportive school then you'll almost certainly want out. If you go to a school that does support you, then I'd recommend it.

I take it you're really young too.
LOL this thread is great. Do teachers gossip about their students and about eachother? You cant get along with every colleague and like every student you teach...
If you start teaching at a **** and non-supportive school then you'll almost certainly want out. If you go to a school that does support you, then I'd recommend it.

I take it you're really young too.

Yeah kind of, I'll be starting university in September.
Original post by deborarosa
LOL this thread is great. Do teachers gossip about their students and about eachother? You cant get along with every colleague and like every student you teach...

Yes the staff room is about 90% gossip it's quite funny.
What kind of teacher are you?

(Subject and primary or secondary school?)
Reply 229
Given that your profile says you're Dutch, I think you're bluffing. I myself am a Briton.

I am also very young and I look like a 6th former so I have to establish boundaries at the start to let them know that I care about their education and I am not their 'mate'. I can be friendly with them when I know them more and know what approach I can take with them.

I spent my high school years in Britain:wink: I am sure I know now:colone: I wont tell though

2. I've always thought they sound less interested in me when I say that. Perhaps because they know it is not a well paid job?

Really? You must have come across some really materialistic women. I think being a teacher is really admirable. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with a load of bored, disrespectful teenagers (never mind that I'm actually way too shy to be able to stand in front of people and talk). Whenever I try to teach my little sister her GCSE maths work and she doesn't get a simple concept I get really stressed out and angry. I think I would actually punch a kid if they were really thick and didn't try.

Do you teach at GCSE level or A-level? Doesn't it annoy you that you learned so much advanced maths at uni and now you don't use any of it and it's all back to basics?

Lol I knew teachers were b*tchy...smiling to my face, then complaining about me to fellow teachers :frown: My teacher even said that in his old school there used to be a girl who twitched a lot and the teachers used to mock and mimic her in the staff room. LOL that's mean
How do you control your temper in the class room? I know if someone was rude to me, especially due to the fact theyre younger than me, there would be an even ruder comeback
Any advice on being the super awesome teaching everyone likes?! :smile:

EDIT:
Also, do you feel teachers get paid enough for the job?
Have you ever had to break up a fight before?
If you hadn't become a teacher, which career would you likely have chosen?
Would you recommend anyone to get a career in teaching?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 234
Do you notice mark differences based on student ethnicity ?
Do you have free time outside school for yourself? Roughly how much if any? Thanks
do you teach in london...*emoji eyes*..
If I tell you I love you, are you going to tell the head teacher that I'm being inappropriate lol

What awkward encounters have you had with girls? How did you deal with the situation of them liking you?
Original post by rbnphlp
Do you have free time outside school for yourself? Roughly how much if any? Thanks

If I'm really well organised I'll have Saturday or Sunday free. That's about it during term time.

Original post by deborarosa
do you teach in london...*emoji eyes*..

Nope. :smile:

Original post by The vampire
If I tell you I love you, are you going to tell the head teacher that I'm being inappropriate lol

Of course.

Original post by ChildInDisguise
What awkward encounters have you had with girls? How did you deal with the situation of them liking you?

Can't go into much detail... Sometimes it's quite cute when they have a crush and it means they try really hard because they want to impress you... Obviously it's very awkward and needs to be deal with it if they are ever open about their crush.