The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scienceisgood
What kind of teacher are you?

(Subject and primary or secondary school?)

Secondary maths.

Original post by purple_panther

Do you teach at GCSE level or A-level? Doesn't it annoy you that you learned so much advanced maths at uni and now you don't use any of it and it's all back to basics?

GCSE and A-level (only AS level at the moment). Yes, I do think it's a bit annoying that I learned all about Newton, Lagrange, Fourier and all that lot and now it's useless.

Original post by deborarosa
How do you control your temper in the class room? I know if someone was rude to me, especially due to the fact theyre younger than me, there would be an even ruder comeback

Know that if I do answer back that I could lose my job!

Original post by Scienceisgood
Any advice on being the super awesome teaching everyone likes?! :smile:

EDIT:
Also, do you feel teachers get paid enough for the job?
Have you ever had to break up a fight before?
If you hadn't become a teacher, which career would you likely have chosen?
Would you recommend anyone to get a career in teaching?

1. No we're underpaid.

2. Yes I've broken up a few fights including some during lesson time. You have to be careful to not actually touch the students though or else you could get in trouble yourself.

3. No idea.

4. Yes as long as it's a good school.
Original post by demx9
Do you notice mark differences based on student ethnicity ?

I don't notice any but then again there's very few non-white students at my school. About half of the extremely badly behaved students are black though. :eek:
Original post by Autistic Merit
I don't notice any but then again there's very few non-white students at my school. About half of the extremely badly behaved students are black though. :eek:
hmmmm you say you dont teach in london but your school is majority minority ethnicities....hmmmmmmmm

Definitely in London
Secondary maths.

GCSE and A-level (only AS level at the moment). Yes, I do think it's a bit annoying that I learned all about Newton, Lagrange, Fourier and all that lot and now it's useless.

Know that if I do answer back that I could lose my job!

1. No we're underpaid.

2. Yes I've broken up a few fights including some during lesson time. You have to be careful to not actually touch the students though or else you could get in trouble yourself.

3. No idea.

4. Yes as long as it's a good school.

How do you stop fights then :lolwut: and damn you badically didn't answer my question before, but yeah I get why
Reply 245
Not to mention we teachers write you a reference for your university/further education so it's worth getting us on side! :biggrin:

I'm doing my AS next year and when it gets to sending references to universities (AS/A2 I don't know which) do all of your subject teachers send a reference each, or is it the Head teacher or someone else?

hmmmm you say you dont teach in london but your school is majority minority ethnicities....hmmmmmmmm

Original post by The vampire
Definitely in London

I said there's very few non-white students at my school although admittedly I shouldn't have used a double negative.
Original post by ChildInDisguise
How do you stop fights then :lolwut: and damn you badically didn't answer my question before, but yeah I get why

You stop fights with great difficulty. You sort of have to just stand between them and tell them to stop; they always do eventually. The law is too vague on what is an acceptable level of physical contact so it's best to give none.

Original post by Sulfur
I'm doing my AS next year and when it gets to sending references to universities (AS/A2 I don't know which) do all of your subject teachers send a reference each, or is it the Head teacher or someone else?

I think it's your form tutor who does the reference mainly.
Do you have a social life or time for your hobbies? Meet up with your friends etc
(edited 9 years ago)
I said there's very few non-white students at my school although admittedly I shouldn't have used a double negative.

Good thing you're not an English teacher :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Original post by rbnphlp
Do you have a social life or time for your hobbies? Meet up with your friends etc

Now that it's summer, I can. Sadly a lot of my friends use up all their holiday time when I'm teaching because it's cheaper so I don't have much hope of going abroad this year unless I go by myself or with my brother.
Original post by The vampire
Good thing you're not an English teacher :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Listen to me. :angry:

When I say that there's very few non-whites it means that most are white. :mad:
Do you think it's weird or good to date a fellow teacher at your school. In my school, a lot of the teachers that are now married or dating met working at my school. aaw cute
Listen to me. :angry:

When I say that there's very few non-whites it means that most are white. :mad:

I got that eventually.You shouldn't say things in an overcomplicated way! :tongue:
You avoided my question on how to be the super awesome teacher everyone likes. :sad:
Well that's a bit stupid. What if they're properly at each other? Surely they shouldn't have a problem with it as your actually protecting them from themselves.
Btw, if my name had any unconscious affect on your previous answer... I'm a child at heart. Not actually a child :smile:
Someone at my old school was actually suspended for messaging a teacher on facebook for telling him she loved him as a joke :lol:

You stop fights with great difficulty. You sort of have to just stand between them and tell them to stop; they always do eventually. The law is too vague on what is an acceptable level of physical contact so it's best to give none.

I think it's your form tutor who does the reference mainly.
Reply 256
Have you ever told a sex joke in class? What was it? (If yes)
(edited 9 years ago)
One more q : what was harder for you in terms of workload , pgce or a day to day life as a teacher
What do you teach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think it's weird or good to date a fellow teacher at your school. In my school, a lot of the teachers that are now married or dating met working at my school. aaw cute

I think it would be really cute if I fell in love with another teacher. :colondollar: Hasn't happened yet and most are off limits anyway.

Latest