The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hollieeilloh
Lelelelel, answering for Marshy huh? :rolleyes: #creep #whoevenareyou #hedoesntevengohere

Original post by TheFOMaster
History and German.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*German and History

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
*German and History

Posted from TSR Mobile

Non-STEM waste of time and Non-STEM waste of time *
Non-STEM waste of time and Non-STEM waste of time *

* non-{Cambridge maths} waste of time and non-{Cambridge maths} waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
* non-{Cambridge maths} waste of time and non-{Cambridge maths} waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're a man who understands.
I never understood why the teachers always warned us not to pre-learn essays for higher English and fit them to the question. Last year, I pre-learned two essays for the exam only (one on Porphyria's Lover and one on Hamlet) and found that I could twist both of them to the question despite being told that my method would end in certain failure. I ended up getting 36/40 for my essays (not sure how they work out the 40) and an A overall! I was stressing about English but was so happy when results day came.
anyone else think they've done badly in english and human biology (highers)? :frown:
Original post by jen123456
anyone else think they've done badly in english and human biology (highers)? :frown:

I only done english out of them two but i thought it was quite a rough time for me, i messed up a few questions in the close reading and that question at the end i got half done because i didnt have enough time, but i done the best i could so there is nothing else i can do right? :smile: after that the essays weren't too bad at all i found 2 questions and subsequent essays to fit around but i never really think about those because its absolutely opinion based, one examiners opinion differs from another so im never really too sure but in general i think it went Overall Good, just keep thinking you done your best im pretty sure you did and everyone should be happy for you because you know what work you have done at the end of the day.

Did both.
English - Close reading wasn't as good, we had a fire alarm go off for about 20 minutes which distracted the whole hall and the invigilators didn't say anything about extra time - which if I had known about I would've taken advantage of. :\ I was able to finish though, with no time to check over it. I thought my essays were quite good, probably subject to opinion though...I completely forgot how to structure it D:
English was my weakest subject though so I'm aiming for a B but would be happy with a C.

Human Bio - I thought it went reasonably well, the essays were perfect for me. We had to completely memorise the respiration cycle and I'd completed the 2007/8 paper a few weeks before so I was just recalling from the marking scheme :3
Looking over the paper on the website, I don't remember any of it, which may or may not be a good thing. I did feel confident afterwards so I'm hoping that's a good sign...
My teacher wasn't the best - he barely stayed in the classroom and we self-taught the last part of the course because he gave up.
Original post by AndrewSCO
Nice :smile: What are you studying :smile:

History and German. And you? :smile:
Original post by mathsisannoying
I only done english out of them two but i thought it was quite a rough time for me, i messed up a few questions in the close reading and that question at the end i got half done because i didnt have enough time, but i done the best i could so there is nothing else i can do right? :smile: after that the essays weren't too bad at all i found 2 questions and subsequent essays to fit around but i never really think about those because its absolutely opinion based, one examiners opinion differs from another so im never really too sure but in general i think it went Overall Good, just keep thinking you done your best im pretty sure you did and everyone should be happy for you because you know what work you have done at the end of the day.

I didn't get to finish the last questions either but hoping I can get at least 1 or 2 marks on what I did write :smile: the essay questions weren't great for my texts and I think in the panic of it all I ended up picking the worst ones. I guess it can't be changed now and we've tried our best. Good luck for results day, i hope you get what you're hoping for :smile:
Original post by greenladybird
Did both.
English - Close reading wasn't as good, we had a fire alarm go off for about 20 minutes which distracted the whole hall and the invigilators didn't say anything about extra time - which if I had known about I would've taken advantage of. :\ I was able to finish though, with no time to check over it. I thought my essays were quite good, probably subject to opinion though...I completely forgot how to structure it D:
English was my weakest subject though so I'm aiming for a B but would be happy with a C.

Human Bio - I thought it went reasonably well, the essays were perfect for me. We had to completely memorise the respiration cycle and I'd completed the 2007/8 paper a few weeks before so I was just recalling from the marking scheme :3
Looking over the paper on the website, I don't remember any of it, which may or may not be a good thing. I did feel confident afterwards so I'm hoping that's a good sign...
My teacher wasn't the best - he barely stayed in the classroom and we self-taught the last part of the course because he gave up.

Omg that is extremely unfair! did any of you make a complaint? that's awful, I don't know how you managed, hopefully it'll be taken into consideration when marking. :tongue:

I really liked the human bio course throughout the year and got an A in the prelim, but I just feel I did horrible on the day. :frown: the only part that I really liked was the essays but considering they're only worth 10 marks each, that's not too great..oh well...

Good luck for Tuesday, hope you got what you deserve :biggrin:
Omg that is extremely unfair! did any of you make a complaint? that's awful, I don't know how you managed, hopefully it'll be taken into consideration when marking. :tongue:

I really liked the human bio course throughout the year and got an A in the prelim, but I just feel I did horrible on the day. :frown: the only part that I really liked was the essays but considering they're only worth 10 marks each, that's not too great..oh well...

Good luck for Tuesday, hope you got what you deserve :biggrin:

Yeah, quite a few people did. The person who deals with all the exam stuff at my school said that 'We should've known we could get extra time if needed, even if we had something like a wonky table or noise outside, then the invigilators would give us time.' Despite the fact that we have never been told any of that ever...
Yeah, I liked the course but just not with my teacher. We were told that the essays didn't matter and it was basically impossible to score highly - meanwhile the normal biology teachers were making their classes do essays ever week since October so they could practise because 'that's where you can pick up marks' -.-

Good luck for you too! I'm sure you'll have done better than you think!!
History and German.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by hollieeilloh
Lelelelel, answering for Marshy huh? :rolleyes: #creep #whoevenareyou #hedoesntevengohere

Awkward how I only just saw this lololol :colone:
Any higher marking instructions up yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 335
Does anyone else think that the higher English essay questions this year were really specific and hard to write on? Just hoping I'm not the only one that did!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here is what I want to get: AH Computing: A, H Business: A, H Geography: A, H Psychology: B

Here is what I think I will get: AH Computing: A, H Business: A, H Geography: B, H Psychology: B

I find Results Day more exciting when the results don't matter :tongue:
Original post by LongLazyDays
I really hope you pass! :biggrin:
I know - last year I worked really hard for my Highers too,(dropped from 5 to 3) and was so nervous! :smile:
What are you wanting to study?
Good luck! :goodluck:

Thank you! If you worked hard I'm sure it will be reflected in your results :wink:

I'm wanting to do Politics and International Relations. But I might switch it up for Sociology down the line. What about you?
Reply 338
Original post by ManicPumpkin
Here is what I want to get: AH Computing: A, H Business: A, H Geography: A, H Psychology: B

Here is what I think I will get: AH Computing: A, H Business: A, H Geography: B, H Psychology: B

I find Results Day more exciting when the results don't matter :tongue:

It's so much easier when you don't have to worry about your grades; still want it over and done with though! The lack of stress makes guessing all the more fun :tongue:

Aim: AH Music (A), AH Chem (A), H Accounting (A), H Biology (A)
Expectation: AH Music (A), AH Chem (C), H Accounting (B), H Biology (B/A?)
Original post by JTR__
It's so much easier when you don't have to worry about your grades; still want it over and done with though! The lack of stress makes guessing all the more fun :tongue:

Oh definitely! I'm buzzin! :wink: Bring it on!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending