The Student Room Group

Is my gym routine good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illusionz
how long have you been training? What is your height and weight?

What weights are you doing on leg press/chest press etc? How many chin ups/pull ups can you do?

Trying to see what progress you've made because your routine looks gash tbh. Do weights and cardio on different days. Spend 3 days per week doing a proper strength routine with mainly barbell compound movements.

I've been going gym for nearly 2 months. I try to do at least 40 push ups at home. Although I've taken a break during ramadan. I should be back in the gym around August 4th.

Last time I checked, my height was 5' 6.8"
and my weight was 9 st 2lb = 58.1 kg

I can do about 20 chin ups and 20 dips using the chin up assist at around 30 kg.

Leg press, I can do up to 32 kg.
Chest press, I can do 18 kg quite easy. After that, I struggle a little.
I went back to the gym today after a 1 month ramadan break.
I followed a new routine and this is what I did:

1) Cardio
30 minutes walking/jogging on treadmill.

2) Lat pull down (warm up)

18 kg pull downs (5 sets of 5 reps)

3) ICF 5X5 workout

First, I did deadlifts with 20kg weights (5 sets of 5 reps)

Then I did squats with 20kg weights (5 sets of 5 reps)

Then I did bench press for the first time on a smith machine. I used 10kg weights because I struggled but then I started to get used to it. (I did around 75 reps)

I also did some power cleans using 15kg weights.

4) Pull up/Dip assist (5x5)

Did pull ups (5 sets of 5 reps)
Did dips (5 sets of 5 reps)

That was my workout. I think I still need to do some more tweaks. By the way guys, thanks for the advice, its helped alot.
Reply 22
Still a bit i'd suggest you change:
- Cardio after the weights as you want most of your energy for getting consistent sets of 5 in
- There is no need for a lat pulldown warmup try to warmup on the same exercise you're about to do especially when you start increasing weight, if you squat 30kg for 5 then try squatting 20kg for 3 as a warmup.
- Try avoiding the smith machine as its a horrible piece of equipment that will **** you up in the long run when you try using free weights
- Lower your reps, 75 reps is way too much for building any muscle and stick to the 5x5 or 3x5 routine
ICF doesn't involve benching, squatting and deadlifting on the same day. It also doesn't involve power cleans full stop.
Reply 24
ICF doesn't involve benching, squatting and deadlifting on the same day. It also doesn't involve power cleans full stop.

Yes it does...
Original post by Doob
Yes it does...

You're wrong
Original post by Doob
Yes it does...

You're wrong

Well... close-grip bench press.
Original post by ttankzhang
Well... close-grip bench press.

that's a tricep isolation and completely different imo but I see your point
Reply 28

its not an isolation either lol

Why are you bothering lol

Original post by Doob
its not an isolation either lol

Lol hardly a compound, you do it for triceps, nothing else

Posted from TSR Mobile
So is it ok to do benching, squatting and deadlifts on the same day?

I've got soo much to learn.
just google stronglifts 5x5 and do EXACTLY what it says. You're right there is a lot to learn but you'll get there.

When I say exactly, i mean it. other than some additional core work if you really need it then stick to the programme, no extra cardio or anything.
Original post by ttankzhang
just google stronglifts 5x5 and do EXACTLY what it says. You're right there is a lot to learn but you'll get there.

When I say exactly, i mean it. other than some additional core work if you really need it then stick to the programme, no extra cardio or anything.

I'd add dips and chins to every session tbh. SL lacks upper body volume.
Went gym today. This was my routine:

Stronglifts 5x5

Squats 5x5 20kg (squatting 20kg was quite heavy for me, but I started getting used to it. The metal bar was hurting my back, I was wearing a tshirt, but I think I'll get used to it)

Bench press 5x5 20kg

Barbell row 5x5 30kg

Then I did 5x5 chin ups and dips.
Finally, I did leg press 52kg 25 reps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Naveed-7
Went gym today. This was my routine:

Stronglifts 5x5

Squats 5x5 20kg (squatting 20kg was quite heavy for me, but I started getting used to it. The metal bar was hurting my back, I was wearing a tshirt, but I think I'll get used to it)

Bench press 5x5 20kg

Barbell row 5x5 30kg

Then I did 5x5 chin ups and dips.
Finally, I did leg press 52kg 25 reps.

Drop the leg press but otherwise looks ok. You'll get used to the bar, don't bother with the padding stuff just man up, I have 220kg on there for heavy sets without real problems.

Do the squat/overhead press/deadlift workout in two days, then increase the weights as per the websites instructions

Quick Reply

Latest