The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
That the same Gary Mills who was a coach at Cov over a decade ago? Small world.

Yeah, that's the one. Did a great job at York in 2012 winning the Conference play-off final and FA Trophy in the same week, and is doing miracles here.
Original post by liamjmilburn
Yeah, that's the one. Did a great job at York in 2012 winning the Conference play-off final and FA Trophy in the same week, and is doing miracles here.

All I know about the club is from its YouTube match videos with people shouting Heed Army. Great chant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All I know about the club is from its YouTube match videos with people shouting Heed Army. Great chant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess we're the only club in the country with one repetitive chant...
How is that amusing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe I said that wrong. I in no way find kids getting abuse hilarious, but he doesn't seem a nice chap himself and brings it upon himself with some of the things he says towards any Blackpool fans who complain about the Oystons.
Original post by CraigWM
I believe I said that wrong. I in no way find kids getting abuse hilarious, but he doesn't seem a nice chap himself and brings it upon himself with some of the things he says towards any Blackpool fans who complain about the Oystons.

It's the same with anyone attached to SISU so I understand why but at the end of the day he probably thinks he's sticking up for his family. Social media seems to be best avoided in the football world anyway, seems we're just getting more stories like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leicester have a bid of £6.5m rejected for Troy Deeney, Watford have an enquiry rejected for Leicester's Andy King. Interesting, £6.5m is a joke though when you look at other transfers this summer...
Original post by CraigWM
Leicester have a bid of £6.5m rejected for Troy Deeney, Watford have an enquiry rejected for Leicester's Andy King. Interesting, £6.5m is a joke though when you look at other transfers this summer...

Cheeky part exchange?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Covhampton record their first win of pre season with a 2-0 result over Roma reserves. Chievo on Wednesday, Marcus Tudgay also with the team on trial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM

Compared to the likes of McCormack, 6.5m would be cheap for Deeney, but I'd say it's a fair whack for a player who's never played above the championship - I don't see that one team spending an absurd amount on a player should then mean we inflate everyone elses price to match.

As for King - no. You've already had one cult hero in Dyer, you're not having another.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Compared to the likes of McCormack, 6.5m would be cheap for Deeney, but I'd say it's a fair whack for a player who's never played above the championship - I don't see that one team spending an absurd amount on a player should then mean we inflate everyone elses price to match.

As for King - no. You've already had one cult hero in Dyer, you're not having another.

£6.5m would normally be acceptable for someone like Deeney I'd say I originally reckoned we'd hold out for £8m, but after McCormack for £11m, and Ulloa for however much it's meant to be, I'd be annoyed if we sold for less than £10m. If Leicester bought Deeney however, Sky Sports would just be showing constant repeats of Deeney's play-off goal last season to the point where even us Watford fans aren't excited by it anymore.

Funny about King - I would've thought we had enough CM's as it is, not sure where he'd fit in
(edited 9 years ago)
Deeney bid raised to £7.5m by Leicester, still rejected. Seems we're holding out.
Nice 1-0 win over a strong Watford XI, triallist Tudgay with the goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Decent preseason for us so far. The highlight being a 3-2 win against Ligue One's Nice. We also lost 4-0 to Osasuna's first team with our reserves, but held them for the first half.

The season starts in nine days! Wow.
Nice 1-0 win over a strong Watford XI, triallist Tudgay with the goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't want to embarass you by playing the unstoppable Deeney/Vydra strikeforce.
Tom Lees just signed for us and we are leaving things late as per usual.
Original post by CraigWM
Didn't want to embarass you by playing the unstoppable Deeney/Vydra strikeforce.

Vydra started did he not? :wink:
Vydra started did he not? :wink:

Vydra is nothing without Sir Troy.

Personally, no offence to Coventry, I found it embarassing that our squad, which has over 300 international caps altogether, including for Brazil, Italy and Switzerland, didn't even trouble a League One side.. Playing 4-3-3 is worrying, formation surely must have Deeney/Vydra upfront together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CraigWM
Vydra is nothing without Sir Troy.

Personally, no offence to Coventry, I found it embarassing that our squad, which has over 300 international caps altogether, including for Brazil, Italy and Switzerland, didn't even trouble a League One side.. Playing 4-3-3 is worrying, formation surely must have Deeney/Vydra upfront together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't take too much from a meaningless friendly to be honest. Better to get sloppiness out of the way now rather than when it counts.

No offence taken. Few people thought our reputation could get lower when SISU took over but they really have excelled at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't take too much from a meaningless friendly to be honest. Better to get sloppiness out of the way now rather than when it counts.

No offence taken. Few people thought our reputation could get lower when SISU took over but they really have excelled at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so, I've placed a tenner on us getting promoted when it was 13/1...

Whatever happened to the potential return to the Ricoh by the way? Only saw yesterday you were at Sixfields for another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM
I hope so, I've placed a tenner on us getting promoted when it was 13/1...

Whatever happened to the potential return to the Ricoh by the way? Only saw yesterday you were at Sixfields for another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Following another fan protest in Coventry a few weeks back a statement appeared on the club website making a request to ACL to get back round the table. The interesting part is that this was originally signed by Tim Fisher (club CEO) and Joy Seppalla (head of SISU) but was quickly changed to read just Fisher. When you couple that with off the record comments from Fisher about Seppalla being 'mad' then it gives you a good idea of what's going on.

As long as Seppalla thinks that playing in Northampton will get her the Ricoh on the cheap that is where we will stay. Honestly, not even the writers of Dream Team could come up with more stupidity!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest