The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheInvincibles14
Who's this Quintero what I've seen of him on YouTube he plays a bit like James Rodriguez. I was saying we need a winger as I don't rate Theo, who should be a bench option with Alexis starting on the right, if we don't be Quintero we should make a bid for Di Maria. We need a good LW as it's the best alternative to a top class striker (as none on the market)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?

Original post by t()m
I am pleased that he will get a lot of playing time and hopefully develop a lot with experience

Yes, something that he needs desperately; experience. I really admire his desire to play for Arsenal tbh, the guy didn't want to go anywhere if it wasn't a loan deal.
Who's this Quintero what I've seen of him on YouTube he plays a bit like James Rodriguez. I was saying we need a winger as I don't rate Theo, who should be a bench option with Alexis starting on the right, if we don't be Quintero we should make a bid for Di Maria. We need a good LW as it's the best alternative to a top class striker (as none on the market)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't rate Theo? I see...

We have no need for a winger now we have Sanchez/Theo/Ox and more. Our midfield is overflowing with talent, and as it is we cannot just bring more in to a crowded area. We need to focus on a CDM, with a CF and another CB taking priority after that. No more wingers or CAMs.
Reply 2082
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Yes, something that he needs desperately; experience. I really admire his desire to play for Arsenal tbh, the guy didn't want to go anywhere if it wasn't a loan deal.

Agreed. I love the ambition to play for his childhood and family club. He's clearly understands that he's not quite their yet but knows that he wants to stay .
Original post by Stalin
Since when did this become the Kanye West Appreciation Thread?

GTFO with this ****.

Lord Kanye knows more about football than you :/

U mad bro?
Original post by t()m
Agreed. I love the ambition to play for his childhood and family club. He's clearly understands that he's not quite their yet but knows that he wants to stay .

Relatively good business for West Ham though. Would rather Jenks go to West Ham than Hull for some reason anyway.
Reply 2085
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Relatively good business for West Ham though. Would rather Jenks go to West Ham than Hull for some reason anyway.

It's because Hull were our biggest enemy for a month remember haha
Jenkinson is the hero that Arsenal deserves but not the one it needs right now, he'll be back soon as the one who can truly fill the boots of the English Cafu (Nigel Winterburn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tom Huddlestone's decent tbf. would make a good dmf. spraying balls around like a poor mans xabi alonso.
Original post by barneystin
Tom Huddlestone's decent tbf. would make a good dmf. spraying balls around like a poor mans xabi alonso.

We can do much better than that.
Original post by Kruz
We can do much better than that.

yes but realistically come on...

watch him take 4 players out the game in one feint

Someone update me please, I haven't followed any Arsenal news for the past 2 months...

transfers in/out, rumours, deals, etc etc etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Alexis Sanchez, debuchy, Ospina, chambers have all joined the club, Sagna has left for man city. We are still in the hunt for a DMF, and another DF if Vermaelen leaves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SHOO
Then it's no where near worth it. For roughly that much we could get Draxler who is pretty much the same age

If this does happen then I really didn't expect it to be this summer. I was expecting this season to be more of a "breakthrough" season at Porto and it would be next summer where we would sell him for somewhere close to his release fee.

He hasn't really done anything that significant in a Porto kit to make him stand out from the rest, but then you could say he hasn’t really had a proper chance in this squad.

Just to give you a rough idea with his league appearances he’s only started four games, in three of them he was subbed in the 57th, 67th and 78th minute and then in the fourth game he started he lasted the whole 90 minutes. The rest of the games he played for us were all substitute appearances. A couple of full 45 minutes in the second half of games were thrown in but the rest were after the 60th minute, so he’s only really had less than half an hour to impress which can be quite difficult for him to get into the game especially with how Porto were last season too. We were awful as a team and a poor with Paulo Fonseca in charge up until March, so formation wise and tactics were not great, so it was difficult for anyone coming off the bench to make such an impact as nothing worked well within this team.

In the WC he showed a few signs of what he can do. Then along with Porto having a new manager as well as a lot of new signings (so our squad should be significantly improved from last season), I thought maybe that this would have helped him out a bit more and he would get more of a chance this season. I don’t think him moving now will do any good to his career, I really think it would be a move too soon for him. He’s yet to prove / show what he can do in the Portuguese Liga so for him to go into the EPL probably wouldn’t be beneficial for him.

I actually think it's pretty difficult to judge him just from his one season at Porto though. He arrived and we all expected this great thing from him, he showed a couple of good signs but he was never given a proper chance. The Porto team struggled hugely last season and I think this just impacted everyone - it was only really Fernando who put the performances in week-in-week-out, the rest were so inconsistent and just didn't work well together at all added with the poor tactics / decisions from Paulo Fonseca.

We’ll see what happens, if it’s true and there has been interest / an offer from Arsenal then it’s very difficult to turn down as every player jumps at the chance when a bigger team comes calling but I don’t think it would be right for him at this time.

Original post by little_tom
Do Porto have a policy where they only sell if the release clause is met?

No we don't but i wish we did as we'd do pretty well with a lot of the players we have with a €40-€50m release fee! I guess we just set them high to scare a few off and then aim to get teams to offer pretty close to it - even if they're not worth it.
(edited 9 years ago)
wilshere, ox, and walcott all need to push on and show what they're made of this season. expected a breakthrough season from atleast one of them last season.

expected a huge season from theo after he posted these stats:

Alexis Sanchez, debuchy, Ospina, chambers have all joined the club, Sagna has left for man city. We are still in the hunt for a DMF, and another DF if Vermaelen leaves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :biggrin:
I'm glad Vermaelen is leaving the man deserves to play week in and out! I wish him all the best:yy:
Sagna, meh, though wish him all the best:yy:
I'm pretty happy with the transfers in! :biggrin:

More please:coma:
Original post by ra-ra-ra

No we don't but i wish we did as we'd do pretty well with a lot of the players we have with a €40-€50m release fee! I guess we just set them high to scare a few off and then aim to get teams to offer pretty close to it - even if they're not worth it.

It does seem a bit strange that Porto would let him go for such a low fee. I don't think there is much in this anymore but we'll see if anyone else picks up on the story. Tribunal do Dragão also says there are no offers, supposedly an insider at Porto FC, is he legitimate?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by little_tom
It does seem a bit strange that Porto would let him go for such a low fee. I don't think there is much in this anymore but we'll see if anyone else picks up on the story. Tribunal do Dragão also says there are no offers, supposedly an insider at Porto FC, is he legitimate?

Honestly, I wouldn't believe anything or anyone until you see him in an Arsenal kit, even the most legit get it wrong.

€20m is pretty low but considering the season he had (and by our standards) it's a pretty fair sum and with not having his full rights it's makes it a bit more difficult. Like i said, once the bigger clubs become interested and make offers it's difficult for all parties to say no to the deal.
Reply 2097
Original post by barneystin
wilshere, ox, and walcott all need to push on and show what they're made of this season. expected a breakthrough season from atleast one of them last season.

expected a huge season from theo after he posted these stats:

Ox had quite the season
Original post by AR_95
Ox had quite the season

while he had good games. big games too like bayern. i wouldnt say he had a break out season.

in fact he didnt even lock down a position and no one still knows his true position (is it CAM?). Im sure he's not a winger.
This whole Quintero rumour/link feels very reminiscent of Bernard last season. Comes out of nowhere and turns out to be a pile of ****!

Would make sense though consider Rosicky is old and I expect him to retire soon, and Santi will be 30 soon. Does suggest he may be off sooner rather than later though.

Posted from TSR Mobile