The Student Room Group

Pg Dip courses in Europe

Hello ,

This thread is to gain information about the Pg Dip courses in Europe.I am an electrical engineering student in the third year of a four year course. I plan to pursue theoretical physics. Is getting a Pg Dip in mathematical sciences/applied mathematics/physics helpful in this regard? What is feedback of students who have completed this course? According to what I have seen these courses are offered by some universities in U.K and some in Ireland. Any information/suggestion is welcome. Thank you
Reply 1
A PGDip in the UK is a lower qualification than a Masters. It's generally the taught elements of a Masters without the independent research project, which makes it a poor preparation for life in theoretical physics.

Is there any reason why you aren't considering a Masters?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
A PGDip in the UK is a lower qualification than a Masters. It's generally the taught elements of a Masters without the independent research project, which makes it a poor preparation for life in theoretical physics.

Is there any reason why you aren't considering a Masters?

I don't think I have the necessary background for the M.S directly being an engineer and looking for theoretical physics. So is it right for me to use the Pg Dip as a bridge course to upgrade my mathematical knowledge? Is there any other option I could look into?
Reply 3
Original post by karthik93
I don't think I have the necessary background for the M.S directly being an engineer and looking for theoretical physics. So is it right for me to use the Pg Dip as a bridge course to upgrade my mathematical knowledge? Is there any other option I could look into?

If you're looking to get into research (either academic or in industry R&D), then in your shoes I'd be looking for a qualification which gives some kind of research background. As a PGDip won't do that, I'd look at doing either an MSc (taught Masters) or MRes (Masters by Research).

If you want to consider a PhD you could also consider Doctoral Training Centres. These can offer 4 year funded courses, where the first year is effectively your Masters which allows you to progress directly into a funded PhD. I looked into doing one at my Masters uni and that DTC actively encouraged cross-disciplinary entrants. Don't know if it's the same in your field but it's worth doing some research.
Reply 4
Hello ,

This thread is to gain information about the Pg Dip courses in Europe.I am an electrical engineering student in the third year of a four year course. I plan to pursue theoretical physics. Is getting a Pg Dip in mathematical sciences/applied mathematics/physics helpful in this regard? What is feedback of students who have completed this course? According to what I have seen these courses are offered by some universities in U.K and some in Ireland. Any information/suggestion is welcome. Thank you

A PG Diploma is very useful but if you're looking to pursue Theoretical Physics then an MSc upon completion of the diploma is a minimum. Most research heavy institutions will expect a PhD.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
If you're looking to get into research (either academic or in industry R&D), then in your shoes I'd be looking for a qualification which gives some kind of research background. As a PGDip won't do that, I'd look at doing either an MSc (taught Masters) or MRes (Masters by Research).

If you want to consider a PhD you could also consider Doctoral Training Centres. These can offer 4 year funded courses, where the first year is effectively your Masters which allows you to progress directly into a funded PhD. I looked into doing one at my Masters uni and that DTC actively encouraged cross-disciplinary entrants. Don't know if it's the same in your field but it's worth doing some research.

I am looking to get into research. I would be more than happy if good universities directly offer me taught or research masters. I was considering doing MSc after the Pg Dip which gives me the background.Do you have any idea about the funding?
Reply 6
Original post by WokSz
A PG Diploma is very useful but if you're looking to pursue Theoretical Physics then an MSc upon completion of the diploma is a minimum. Most research heavy institutions will expect a PhD.

I plan to pursue a PhD In theoretical physics. Do you think Pg Dip is a good idea to strengthen my background and then probably apply to a good university for MSc? Do you reckon I should go ahead and apply directly to masters? Have you seen students taking Pg Dip in math in Europe? Do you have any reviews about any good university or course I could aim at?
Reply 7
I am looking to get into research. I would be more than happy if good universities directly offer me taught or research masters. I was considering doing MSc after the Pg Dip which gives me the background.Do you have any idea about the funding?

If you're thinking of Doctoral Training Centres, they each control their own funding. You'd need to look for a DTC in your field and then check their website.

If you're thinking of a stand-alone Masters, there's very little funding available in the UK. You'll need to start looking at individual university websites.
Reply 8
I plan to pursue a PhD In theoretical physics. Do you think Pg Dip is a good idea to strengthen my background and then probably apply to a good university for MSc? Do you reckon I should go ahead and apply directly to masters? Have you seen students taking Pg Dip in math in Europe? Do you have any reviews about any good university or course I could aim at?

Absolutely. If you focus on some pretty specific Maths and Physics classes, you'll be in good stead. Where are you looking to do your MSc? I Would do the PG dip first. It'll make things a lot easier and an extra year of studying is always nice if you enjoy the course! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by WokSz
Absolutely. If you focus on some pretty specific Maths and Physics classes, you'll be in good stead. Where are you looking to do your MSc? I Would do the PG dip first. It'll make things a lot easier and an extra year of studying is always nice if you enjoy the course! :smile:

I am looking at UCL, Liverpool and some similar universities in the U.K. A large number of Irish universities also offer this course (like UCD ,Maynooth). I don't know about their reputation. Funding is one problem I have to look at. How do I go about it? I am willing to work part time. Which universities in UK are good for mathematics and physics?
Reply 10
I am looking at UCL, Liverpool and some similar universities in the U.K. A large number of Irish universities also offer this course (like UCD ,Maynooth). I don't know about their reputation. Funding is one problem I have to look at. How do I go about it? I am willing to work part time. Which universities in UK are good for mathematics and physics?

In your place, the first thing I would do is email the Admissions Office of each uni where you're considering studying a Masters, and ask whether they will accept a PGDip as entry onto it. Hopefully they will, but It isn't guaranteed - I've never seen a Masters or PhD which stated that they require or would accept a PGDip. If they don't want that, ask them what they would consider from you instead, so that you can make alternative arrangements.

It's best to check at this stage of your planning. There's no point spending time and money on a qualification that won't get you where you want to be.
Reply 11
I have e-mailed many admissions offices. Their reply suggests that pg dip students is eligible for a masters in any university across Europe. Also, if students do well in the pg dip course they are eligible for masters in the same universities is well. However, I would like to have a first hand interaction with a student who has completed this course regarding the practicality of the course. Where can I get the e-mail address of the students pursuing the course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending