The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gorwell

What are you hoping for?
4A*s 5As 2Bs
What are you expecting?
3A* 3As 3B 2C/D

Hoping for very similar results. :biggrin: Though I do 1 less GCSE as I did vocational ICT. :smile:

Hoping
4 A* 4 A 1 B 1 C and Distinction (A*) ICT

Expecting (Worst Case Scenario)
4 A* 4 B 2 C and Merit (A) ICT
Original post by yellowcopter
Hoping for very similar results. :biggrin: Though I do 1 less GCSE as I did vocational ICT. :smile:

Hoping
4 A* 4 A 1 B 1 C and Distinction (A*) ICT

Expecting (Worst Case Scenario)
4 A* 4 B 2 C and Merit (A) ICT

wooo :w00t: was it compulsory at your school?? Good luck bruh :tongue:
Original post by Gorwell
wooo :w00t: was it compulsory at your school?? Good luck bruh :tongue:

Yeah ICT was compulsory. I wanted to do Computing GCSE since my school offered it but they wouldn't let me because my Science grades back then weren't the best - which I think is silly because at GCSE level Computing barely even involves THAT much Science. :frown: Oh well, I'm doing Computing A-Level anyway. :tongue:

Good luck to you too. :biggrin: I know I'll pass all my subjects at least which is the good thing, except for Geography which I'm a bit worried about. At best I'm hoping for a B, but at worst I'm expecting a C or if all goes terribly, I might just get a D in Geography!
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah ICT was compulsory. I wanted to do Computing GCSE since my school offered it but they wouldn't let me because my Science grades back then weren't the best - which I think is silly because at GCSE level Computing barely even involves THAT much Maths. :frown: Oh well, I'm doing Computing A-Level anyway. :tongue:

Good luck to you too. :biggrin: I know I'll pass all my subjects at least which is the good thing, except for Geography which I'm a bit worried about. At best I'm hoping for a B, but at worst I'm expecting a C or if all goes terribly, I might just get a D in Geography!

It's so unfair how year 7-9 grades dictate what options you can pick. Schools should know that people do improve significantly from Year 7 to GCSE. :angry: It's great that you can do computing at A-level now though! You want to go into Comp Sci right?

My school offered GCSE ICT when I chose my options but they have Computer Science for the new GCSE lot, which is sooo unfair. :frown:

Thank you! I'm sure you'll do great in it, whatever you get in Geography won't hold you back I'm sure. :biggrin:
Original post by Gorwell
It's so unfair how year 7-9 grades dictate what options you can pick. Schools should know that people do improve significantly from Year 7 to GCSE. :angry: It's great that you can do computing at A-level now though! You want to go into Comp Sci right?

My school offered GCSE ICT when I chose my options but they have Computer Science for the new GCSE lot, which is sooo unfair. :frown:

Thank you! I'm sure you'll do great in it, whatever you get in Geography won't hold you back I'm sure. :biggrin:

I know, it sucks! :frown: My Science grades were WAY better in Year 10 and 11, I was just lazy/didn't bother in Years 7-9 because they weren't important, which I'm pretty sure most people did too. :tongue:

Yep I do want to go into Computer Science and do it at uni. I don't know though, I might decide to do something like English and Japanese (Dual Course) instead and become a teacher in Japan or something. I imagine that'd be a lot of fun and a career I'd want to do, but I think I'd have to do English instead of Comp Sci, because the only time Japan would hire a teacher from abroad would be to teach English and nothing else. I don't think they want Comp Sci teachers haha.

Meh, at least you don't really need Computer Science at GCSE so I suppose it doesn't matter. :smile: ICT GCSE is usually all you need, in fact the sixth form I applied to for Computing/Computer Science you don't need to have any IT qualifications which was good for me since I don't have any GCSE IT subjects.

Yeah I guess not, would just be a shame to have all passes but then one fail. :frown: I saw that you wrote C/D in your expecting, which subjects do you think you might get a D in?
I know, it sucks! :frown: My Science grades were WAY better in Year 10 and 11, I was just lazy/didn't bother in Years 7-9 because they weren't important, which I'm pretty sure most people did too. :tongue:

Yep I do want to go into Computer Science and do it at uni. I don't know though, I might decide to do something like English and Japanese (Dual Course) instead and become a teacher in Japan or something. I imagine that'd be a lot of fun and a career I'd want to do, but I think I'd have to do English instead of Comp Sci, because the only time Japan would hire a teacher from abroad would be to teach English and nothing else. I don't think they want Comp Sci teachers haha.

Meh, at least you don't really need Computer Science at GCSE so I suppose it doesn't matter. :smile: ICT GCSE is usually all you need, in fact the sixth form I applied to for Computing/Computer Science you don't need to have any IT qualifications which was good for me since I don't have any GCSE IT subjects.

Yeah I guess not, would just be a shame to have all passes but then one fail. :frown: I saw that you wrote C/D in your expecting, which subjects do you think you might get a D in?

You could still teach in Japan without an English degree! My friend's brother and a teacher taught in Japan without it. :biggrin:I think you need to do the ESOL training thing- I'll look into it a bit more and let you know. :smile: I think as long as your Japanese is up to scratch then it shouldn't be a problem!

I'm glad I didn't pick ICT as the GCSE was apparently really dull- according to the majority of my year anyway!

That's true, :redface: I'm sure there won't be any fails for you! I was hoping to get a A/B in French but my school lost the folder of our coursework (teacher left ill as well), so we had to re-sit all the pieces of coursework in mid year 11. Went from all As and stuff to average C in coursework as we had SO little time to learn them. Sigh/ wish schools took greater care of our work!
Reply 226
Hi

Hoping for : 3A* 5A 2B 1C

Expecting: 3A* 4A 3B 1C

Hoping for an A* or high A in maths do study further maths. I was recommended to do it and something went wrong in the exam for me :frown:.

Good Luck to you all! :smile:
Original post by Gorwell
You could still teach in Japan without an English degree! My friend's brother and a teacher taught in Japan without it. :biggrin:I think you need to do the ESOL training thing- I'll look into it a bit more and let you know. :smile: I think as long as your Japanese is up to scratch then it shouldn't be a problem!

I'm glad I didn't pick ICT as the GCSE was apparently really dull- according to the majority of my year anyway!

That's true, :redface: I'm sure there won't be any fails for you! I was hoping to get a A/B in French but my school lost the folder of our coursework (teacher left ill as well), so we had to re-sit all the pieces of coursework in mid year 11. Went from all As and stuff to average C in coursework as we had SO little time to learn them. Sigh/ wish schools took greater care of our work!

Really? Awesome! :biggrin: I'm still doing English Literature A-Level, and I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to teach English in Japan. :tongue: That and learning Japanese of course which I plan to do in the future. :smile: Please do let me know if you can, thanks!

Vocational ICT was so boring and easy, I'm pretty sure GCSE ICT is just as boring too. Computing is fun because it's challenging, but ICT is so boring because it's just about how to use Excel databases and typical easy ICT terminology - all that basic stuff that no one really needs to know and people who want to do an IT related career probably already know.

I'm in a similar situation with my GCSE Geography coursework, we got a new teacher who marked all our coursework incorrectly, my Year 10 teacher gave me a high A for my Geog coursework, but now I'm only expecting like a C because my new teacher marked our whole class wrong and gave me a D for my coursework. I'm so angry and upset, and because it's coursework I can't have it remarked. :frown: So sorry to hear about the GCSE French CW issue and best of luck.
Really? Awesome! :biggrin: I'm still doing English Literature A-Level, and I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to teach English in Japan. :tongue: That and learning Japanese of course which I plan to do in the future. :smile: Please do let me know if you can, thanks!

Vocational ICT was so boring and easy, I'm pretty sure GCSE ICT is just as boring too. Computing is fun because it's challenging, but ICT is so boring because it's just about how to use Excel databases and typical easy ICT terminology - all that basic stuff that no one really needs to know and people who want to do an IT related career probably already know.

I'm in a similar situation with my GCSE Geography coursework, we got a new teacher who marked all our coursework incorrectly, my Year 10 teacher gave me a high A for my Geog coursework, but now I'm only expecting like a C because my new teacher marked our whole class wrong and gave me a D for my coursework. I'm so angry and upset, and because it's coursework I can't have it remarked. :frown: So sorry to hear about the GCSE French CW issue and best of luck.

Same! :biggrin: What board will you be on for Literature? If you know that is.:tongue: I'll let you know, I was interested in teaching abroad (gap year after undergrad) there's lots of programmes out there where you can volunteer abroad- I assume you're looking for something more stable? The programmes last anything from a month to a year but you have to fund it yourself urgh! Teaching as a proper source of income on the other hand is definitely cheaper- especially in Japan where the demand for English teachers is fairly high/more pay. I'll send you some info when I'm more awake if that's cool!:ahee:

If I'm honest the only Japanese I know is from watching Anime. :teehee: I wouldn't know where to start learning! How/where did you begin?

It's a shame; ICT had the potential to be more useful but instead it's just stuff any average Joe can figure out and repetitive. :frown:

Aw thank you! Teachers that do that just suck. :angry: It's so unfair that they did that, I'm sorry to hear that :hugs: we're in this CW crisis together! Hopefully we've done enough for the exams- we'll just have to wait and see. Good luck with Geog. :^_^:
What are you hoping for?
More than 6 A*s would be nice (:

What are you expecting?
5 A*s, 3 As 4Bs

Will you be satisfied with your expectation?
The only B I will be fine with is in geography so no.

How will you open them?
Well I'll open up the letter with my fingers xP jk I'm gonna open them myself with my parents but I will read them first then tell them.

How will you celebrate / react?
If I get amazing grades, Imma buy a new piano and go out to eat. If I don't do so well, I will need to apply to do A-level physics so I can apply to the uni my dad went to (it's abroad.)

Will you meet your Sixth Form/College offer?
I'm pretty confident that I will.

Reply 230
even though i'm at uni already...i'd say people will be opening their results by opening the top of the envelope... just saying
Original post by Gorwell
Same! :biggrin: What board will you be on for Literature? If you know that is.:tongue: I'll let you know, I was interested in teaching abroad (gap year after undergrad) there's lots of programmes out there where you can volunteer abroad- I assume you're looking for something more stable? The programmes last anything from a month to a year but you have to fund it yourself urgh! Teaching as a proper source of income on the other hand is definitely cheaper- especially in Japan where the demand for English teachers is fairly high/more pay. I'll send you some info when I'm more awake if that's cool!:ahee:

If I'm honest the only Japanese I know is from watching Anime. :teehee: I wouldn't know where to start learning! How/where did you begin?

It's a shame; ICT had the potential to be more useful but instead it's just stuff any average Joe can figure out and repetitive. :frown:

Aw thank you! Teachers that do that just suck. :angry: It's so unfair that they did that, I'm sorry to hear that :hugs: we're in this CW crisis together! Hopefully we've done enough for the exams- we'll just have to wait and see. Good luck with Geog. :^_^:

AQA English Literature A. :smile: I also know what units I will be doing for the exams, if by any chance you may want to know. :biggrin: I'm very interested in doing it, mainly for the experience. I might just do it for 1-3 years or so but that's a while yet so I can't say for sure now. I'm so interested in Japan though, and want to experience life there. I never want to live there for my whole life or anything though, since as a foreigner I'd probably not fit in anyway. :lol:

I haven't started learning either. Right now it's just something I want to do, I don't know anything either but those random words you pick up whilst watching anime. :frown: I plan to start either learning during or after sixth form, or failing that by getting Japanese tuition after uni. I think tuition would be best - seriously have NO clue where to start.

Yep, they really screwed up with that. :tongue: To be fair most people even in our generation aren't brilliant at using computers though, so I can somewhat understand.

Thanks. :biggrin: For the sake for the current Year 10's at my school I hope they don't have her as a teacher!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 232
Original post by Kosa
even though i'm at uni already...i'd say people will be opening their results by opening the top of the envelope... just saying

:biggrin:
Original post by Kosa

What did u get for ur gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was expecting:
Maths - A*
Biology - A*
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
History - A*
Geography - A*
Spanish - A*
Latin - A
English Lit - A
English Language - A*
Additional Maths (FSMQ) - A

Now thinking more like:
Maths - A*
Biology - A*/A
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
History - A*
Geography - A
Spanish - A*
Latin - A*
English Lit - A
English Language - A*
Additional Maths (FSMQ) - B

I will definitely get into 6th form but might not be able to do further maths :frown:.

When results day comes (only 20 days left aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!) I'll probably have the envelope in front of me and have a short panic attack in which i only just stop myself from burning the envelope or eating it. Then I'll calmly open it and look inside before:
1. Good result. I will pretend like i was never bothered and will only tell anyne my results if they ask.
2. Bad result. I will go back and print the gcse papers and do them and be really lenient to myself so i get like 100% and that way I'll fell better cos I'll say to myself that i could've got an A* in that subject :P

What is annoying is that I'll be on holiday when I get my results and I'll spend the last two days knowing there's an envelope sitting at my house while everyone else flashes their super awesome results and that's probably when I'll die just thinking about my results.
I will open mine most likely realy s early in the morning get back from holiday. Read then once then decide bed is a better place

English I hope qnd pray for a c
Additional science b but like an a
Geo c
History a but like a a*
Ict b but like an a
Math c got b that last year
Should meet mine offer for college

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WriterOfWrongs

Smile if I get what I'm hoping for. Cry if I get a C, just stare and accept it I suppose haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I was someone that thought a C weren't good enough. For most of my grades I'm hoping I get a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 237
Original post by Gorwell
Hi Jay! Great thread :biggrin:

What are you hoping for?
4A*s 5As 2Bs
What are you expecting?
3A* 3As 3B 2C/D
Will you be satisfied with your expectation?
Probably not as I've worked really hard/sob
How will you open them?
Open the envelope calmly in a corner and away from teachers/parents/friends.
Shove my headphones in and blast out to music whilst sipping a slushie.
Will you meet your Sixth Form/College offer?
Should do hopefully! Have conditional offers. If all fails then prostitution I guess...

I am the same, I have worked so hard and will be disappointed with things less than my hopes. Depends though, I wouldn't be disappointed with missing an A* and only getting an A.
Reply 238
Original post by James2810
I wish I was someone that thought a C weren't good enough. For most of my grades I'm hoping I get a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the individual. If that's what you want and think you should be getting, then good for you and good luck!
Realistically what will happen:
I'll be a bit scared while I'm waiting for them, then I'll open it. I'll quickly check the grades I need for sixth form, they should be fine, then I'll go through my others and see what I got overall. I'll hopefully be in double figures for A*s, there'll be a few subjects I should have done better in, but overall I'll be pretty happy.

I'll see how true this is :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest