The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guy Secretan
How muh do you actually earn?
Have you ever fancied one of your pupils.

About £25k.

Some are attractive but of course I've never fancied any of them.

Original post by Sazzy890
Has anyone ever asked during a lesson "can I go to the toilet?" to which you replied with "Why didn't you go during your break?"

:colonhash:

My reply would usually just be "you should've gone during break". I'd rather not ask questions that I don't want answers to.
Original post by TaciturnPhantom
I'm sorry. I shouldn't have kept asking all those question. :cry2: I should have known that it can be overwhelming.

That's okay. :redface:
Original post by Autistic Merit
This is a first. :angry:

what are you doing here i swear its the STUDENT room??
Original post by officiallycool14
what are you doing here i swear its the STUDENT room??

Okay I'll leave :frown:

gotta love Friends!!
okay leave if you want
i didnt say go that far
Original post by hellodave5
Go into politics on the side... just for the cause of changing the system. No reason why not. You could add me to your supporters, if that is your cause.
School was the worst time of my life. Everything went well upwards since I left.

I don't think I could hack politics- I'm more of a suppporter than anything. In a more idealised state of mind, I did want to go into Britain's state schooling to introduce, slowly, new innovative ideas based on the student-focused learning. Breaking down barriers between pupil an teacher.

I left at 14, and became Home educated. Primary school was fine- I enjoyed that time, mainly- I believe in hindsight- because I had good friends. I wasn't really academically startling.
Original post by Amy. J S
I don't think I could hack politics- I'm more of a suppporter than anything. In a more idealised state of mind, I did want to go into Britain's state schooling to introduce, slowly, new innovative ideas based on the student-focused learning. Breaking down barriers between pupil an teacher.

I left at 14, and became Home educated. Primary school was fine- I enjoyed that time, mainly- I believe in hindsight- because I had good friends. I wasn't really academically startling.

We can hope!
Sounds nice to be honest - quite jealous.

Academically I was probably one of the worst in the year for some time. Pulled back mediocrity during the last 6 months of GCSE's; with the help of some great, redeeming, teachers. Just safe to say I despise the current system; and find it hard to respect a lot of those that work within it (which is unfortunate, as it's such an important aspect of society).

But yeah, long time ago now!
Have you ever caught students getting frisky with eachother. Who is the dumbest pupil and also who is brightest. Also how much doe 25k end up being a week after tax.
We can hope!
Sounds nice to be honest - quite jealous.

Academically I was probably one of the worst in the year for some time. Pulled back mediocrity during the last 6 months of GCSE's; with the help of some great, redeeming, teachers. Just safe to say I despise the current system; and find it hard to respect a lot of those that work within it (which is unfortunate, as it's such an important aspect of society).

But yeah, long time ago now!

Absoloutely! You seem to be very wise about education- are you interested in teaching, too?

I'm having trouble with all that GCSE malark. Wanting to to study A Levels this year, but having to do a GCSE Maths alongside it: Long story. I'm just going to have to suck it up, be calm and power through, unfortunately.

It really is. I was moved by some of your descriptive opinions about education when talking to OP: You seemed to describe it so truthfully! :smile:
Have you ever caught students getting frisky with eachother. Who is the dumbest pupil and also who is brightest. Also how much doe 25k end up being a week after tax.

It ends up being about £300 a week.

Some students have flirted and stuff in my lessons but nothing more than that (nothing physical).

Original post by Amy. J S
Absoloutely! You seem to be very wise about education- are you interested in teaching, too?

I'm having trouble with all that GCSE malark. Wanting to to study A Levels this year, but having to do a GCSE Maths alongside it: Long story. I'm just going to have to suck it up, be calm and power through, unfortunately.

It really is. I was moved by some of your descriptive opinions about education when talking to OP: You seemed to describe it so truthfully! :smile:

I'm not really... just the flaws from my own experience. Looking at the other educational systems of other leading societies in education as mentioned again by the OP; I feel I would have been much better off with their systems. I like the principles that they have adopted in the Nordic countries; haven't looked too much at those of the East which are successful.

Best of luck with your GCSE's!! I'm sure you will do fine. You can power through, if I did.

Thanks! Just slightly infuriated with the current system. As soon as I left school I sort of slowly flourished. The school system made me miserable.
I'm not really... just the flaws from my own experience. Looking at the other educational systems of other leading societies in education as mentioned again by the OP; I feel I would have been much better off with their systems. I like the principles that they have adopted in the Nordic countries; haven't looked too much at those of the East which are successful.

Best of luck with your GCSE's!! I'm sure you will do fine. You can power through, if I did.

Thanks! Just slightly infuriated with the current system. As soon as I left school I sort of slowly flourished. The school system made me miserable.

Yeah, I'm pretty in awe of The Netherlands at the moment: Heavily considering starting my life up over there. I know I'd like to visit some point in the near future.

I only have to sit the Maths GCSE- as I don't have it currently, and that was apart of balancing my education at FE College. I'm still taking A Levels, just for the first year I'll be doing Mathematics with it- a side note is I have always struggled with Mathematics. From a child, I think I accepted my inability too quickly and never really tried. I always stayed under the radar, never really arousing attention of teachers to help me further. I have such a mental block that it is very hard, especially with how my mind works, to complete Maths-related tasks.

I was very much the same. I left just before I started my GCSE's in year 10, and the damage of friendships and having a complete disconnection of what your personality is through fighting to fit in with groups, has really done quite some damage. Only now am I really progressing with the person I am, moving onto different phases of my life. :biggrin:
It ends up being about £300 a week.

Some students have flirted and stuff in my lessons but nothing more than that (nothing physical).

Jeez how come it only ends up being £300. That's only £100 more than minimum wage.
Jeez how come it only ends up being £300. That's only £100 more than minimum wage.

And considering how much work we do outside of school hours, it's ridiculous.
And considering how much work we do outside of school hours, it's ridiculous.

Are you one of those teachers that start acting completely different as soon as Ofsted arrive?
Original post by Nadine_08
Are you one of those teachers that start acting completely different as soon as Ofsted arrive?

I've not experienced Ofsted yet so I can't really say for sure. :smile:

My reply would usually just be "you should've gone during break". I'd rather not ask questions that I don't want answers to.

Lol do teacher's get taught to say this on the PGCE or something because they all seem to say it :tongue: Doesn't make sense though because you can't tell your bladder when it needs a wee.
I find it stressful enough that I'm gonna take a break for a bit.

Your thread is in my top five favourite AMA threads if it helps.