The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoyalBlue7
I know statements like that which are lies hurts you.

That statement did not hurt me. I was worried about you. Insulting Jesus Christ, who is Messiah/King and will return someday, is not the wisest thing to do.

Imagine the nasty things said about my Prophet which I can totally justify as bull****, but which they still repeat? Do you think that falls under hurting your enemies?

Telling the facts about a mere mortal is not hurting one's enemies. If a person kills another person, saying so is not hurting them but rather is telling the truth. If a person enslaves another, saying that person enslaved the other is not hurting them but rather stating the truth. If an adult male marries a child, saying that person marries a child is not hurting them but rather stating the truth.
Of course they are, no matter how you look at it.

They are radicalizing an entire generation of Palestinians. It is the evil they breed that leads gives evil such as the Al-Qassam Brigades their militants and sympathizers.

Israel say they are only defending themselves. In reality however, they are simply digging their grave deeper and deeper.

That is the long term outlook, that they continue to sow the seeds of their own destruction somewhere down the line.

They have essentially lost support of Latin America, Brazil, one of the main economies of the future has cut ties with them last month. They seemingly are becoming more and more isolated, and it is about time, terrorist states such as this have no right for existence on this planet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Agapelove
I am free to write how I do. You are free to ignore what I write.

Just as you are free to ignore much of what I write (and you do ignore much of what I write), so I am free to ignore what I want too.

Since Jesus did not address this issue to his followers, I cannot quote him like I can with his addressing the issue of what to do with enemies (love them: Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:27-37).

Since I am not either God or Jesus Christ, I cannot answer that.

This one I can answer. :smile:

Hamas could stop shooting rockets into Israel and harboring rockets in civilian places, and instead should appeal to the world to help them create safe houses for the children and women and elderly. This would be the honorable thing to do.

Israel, by the way, should stop attacking Gaza and should instead keep on protecting its civilians from attacks. If both groups would stop attacking each other, safe shelters would not even be needed.

Agreed and agreed. What did I ignore, that was by mistake. If you really want an answer ask it again and emphasize it.

Now you did a grievous mistake. You fell to the trap all Christian I have asked this before fell. You didn't even deny that God did encourage the killing of civilians and raping of women. You didn't. You didn't. You didn't.

Okay. Hamas does not want to surrender.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by well in the dark
Really? He has no qualms about invading Gaza and slaughtering innocents, but we should have qualms about him having a taste of his own medicine? Actually I personally do not advocate for abuse of criminals but I would certainly not go out of my way to advocate for this criminal's well being. The people who hold him are the people whose families and friends he would not think twice about shooting in the head because he'd think it was 'self-defence' or some such bull****, I would think they're in perfect position to deal with him as they please. Even so, I highly doubt they will touch a hair on his head, as he will be essential in negotiations if Israel will be willing to stoop so low.

Israel shouldn't be there, they shouldn't have the blockade of Gaza, they shouldn't be in the West Bank, but that doesn't mean that Hamas can ignore the law wrt captive IDF men. They're a PoW, they have no reason to harm them because given their rank and being a cousin, albeit second or third, of the Defence Minister he is a VERY valuable chip to play.
While probably not the case for this particular soldier, you also have to remember that there is conscription in Israel, so it is not necessarily true that a soldier in the IDF supports actions in Gaza.
Original post by felamuzlem
Get off your high horse.

Is that comment considered professional in debates in your country? Just curious.

Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys. Samuel 15:3 or something like that

And millions more.

I do not follow the Torah. I follow Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ did not teach his followers to attack other people, but rather to love their enemies (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:27-37).
Original post by well in the dark
Jesus is a Muslim prophet too, I highly doubt that was an Islamic thing to say. Just saying/

Yes. It wasn't. :frown:

I do not follow the Torah. I follow Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ did not teach his followers to attack other people, but rather to love their enemies (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:27-37).

Why didn't Jesus stop his father from saying these things? Was his morality standards different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sic semper erat
When you have thousands of rockets shot at Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Ashkelon, Jaffa, and even Bethlehem and Hebron, what would you do? care about left wing trash who condemn Israel no matter WHAT it does, or do something about the rocket attacks?

And by do something, you mean target hospitals, shelters, schools, refugee camps and UN buildings, killing more civilians than have died on your own soil?
Agreed and agreed. What did I ignore, that was by mistake. If you really want an answer ask it again and emphasize it.

I would have to go way back and look, and I have to go to work soon, so I can't. Thanks though for the offer. :smile:

Now you did a grievous mistake. You fell to the trap all Christian I have asked this before fell. You didn't even deny that God did encourage the killing of civilians and raping of women. You didn't. You didn't. You didn't.

Personally, I don't understand why God allowed genocides in the Old Testament. Since God is God though and I'm not, I don't try to deny what is in the Old Testament but rather I focus on Jesus' teachings. Jesus brings the New Covenant which is for both Jews and Gentiles. The Torah is for the Jewish people, though many Jewish followers of Jesus believe they no longer need to obey many of the commands in the Torah.

As for me, I don't sacrifice animals for sin and burnt offerings like the Torah commands. I don't kill people who commit certain sins like the Torah commands. While I don't eat pork, I don't observe the festivals God commands in the Torah, though actually my Jewish Christian friends have taught me about them and I think I would like to observe the next Passover and other festivals God commands (without sacrificing animals).

As a Gentile Christian, I follow what Jesus says. I belong to the New Covenant God gives both Jews and Gentiles through Jesus Christ.

Okay. Hamas does not want to surrender.

Focusing on protecting the children and women is not surrendering in my opinion, and fighting civil rights issues with nonviolence is also not surrendering, but is rather the best way to convict people.
That statement did not hurt me. I was worried about you. Insulting Jesus Christ, who is Messiah/King and will return someday, is not the wisest thing to do.

Should I ask forgiveness from Jesus or from God? Should I go to a confession in a catholic church?

Am I his enemy? Will his followers love me if I was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you have thousands of rockets shot at Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Ashkelon, Jaffa, and even Bethlehem and Hebron, what would you do? care about left wing trash who condemn Israel no matter WHAT it does, or do something about the rocket attacks?

Many of these governments and political figures don't generally criticise Israel much if at all.

In that respect, they're somewhat like myself. I'm fairly neutral on the whole thing but feel that Israel's response is disproportionate and shows a wanton lack of concern for civilian casualties.

It's the neutrals like me, or former supporters like the government members above, that Israel have to be careful about alienating. To make a response like you did is simply sticking your head in the sand as to the repercussions and reality of global sentiment.
I would have to go way back and look, and I have to go to work soon, so I can't. Thanks though for the offer. :smile:

Personally, I don't understand why God allowed genocides in the Old Testament. Since God is God though and I'm not, I don't try to deny what is in the Old Testament but rather I focus on Jesus' teachings. Jesus brings the New Covenant which is for both Jews and Gentiles. The Torah is for the Jewish people, though many Jewish followers of Jesus believe they no longer need to obey many of the commands in the Torah.

As for me, I don't sacrifice animals for sin and burnt offerings like the Torah commands. I don't kill people who commit certain sins like the Torah commands. While I don't eat pork, I don't observe the festivals God commands in the Torah, though actually my Jewish Christian friends have taught me about them and I think I would like to observe the next Passover and other festivals God commands (without sacrificing animals).

As a Gentile Christian, I follow what Jesus says. I belong to the New Covenant God gives both Jews and Gentiles through Jesus Christ.

Focusing on protecting the children and women is not surrendering in my opinion, and fighting civil rights issues with nonviolence is also not surrendering, but is rather the best way to convict people.

So if you can tolerate "genocides" of the OT why can't you tolerate the lesser Jihad against oppression and Jihad for conquest in a righteous way as in the Quran?

Because Jesus change the rules? Now can't you see the hypocrisy. If you lived as a follower of Moses won't you be going about preaching genocide? Deny it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awwwww man, here we go, the 'well Hamas do this.....waaaaaaaaahhhhhhh waaaaaahhhhhh!!!' go ****ing cry about it somewhere else.

Israel have their iron dome which keeps their own people safe for the most part. Thus they have absolutely no reason to respond to the rocket attacks in the nature that they are doing. I'm not saying well they have the iron dome, so sit back and do nothing...not at all, so don't bother with that angle.

What I am saying, is that when militants are allegedly spotted firing from hospitals for example, there is nothing to justify targeting that hospital with ****ing missiles. You seem to believe that people have an issue with Israel defending itself...they don't, people have an issue with Israel bombing densely populated areas, bombing schools, kids playing on the beach, hospitals, houses etc and then justifying the huge civilian collateral as human shields = Hamas' fault.

I'm sorry, but no, every single civilian casualty is not Hamas' fault. The people of Israel are largely safe and sound, thus the destruction they are bring to the people of Gaza is not called for whatsoever. They have a military fully capable of taking on the Al-Qassam Brigades, greatly reducing the number of civilian casualties. Yes it will increase the number of dead Israeli soldiers, but unless you value the lives of Israeli soldiers (people who signed up knowing they could die) above innocent civilians, then I don't see a problem with that.
Why didn't Jesus stop his father from saying these things? Was his morality standards different?

Since I am not either the Father in Heaven or Jesus Christ, I cannot give the best answer. However, I suppose I can give my personal humble opinion as a mere mortal.

I personally think people have been evolving in a way, where in Moses' time the people were less able to understand what people can understand now. I think God sent Jesus around 2,000 years ago because people were a bit more 'evolved' (for lack of a better term) and Jesus' teachings greatly helped people evolve even more to be able to be peaceful people who chose nonviolence instead of violence to resolve conflicts.

While granted there are people who deliberately choose violence instead of nonviolence to resolve conflicts, I personally am of the opinion that nonviolent ways to resolve conflict is much more 'evolved' than violent ways.

For example, my husband and I do not resolve conflicts through violence against each other. We resolve conflict by holding hands and communicating. If we tried to hurt each other, first I'd be dead cause my husband is much stronger and bigger than me, and second our marriage would not be strong or evolving/maturing.

Another example, although you and I disagree in some areas, we are not hurting each other. We are communicating. While we continue to disagree, the fact that we can communicate without physically hurting each other shows maturity.

Sadly, i don't think either Israel or Hamas is showing maturity in attacking each other. I think they both need to mature by handling conflict with nonviolence.

Anyways, again to your question, while I'm not God or Jesus Christ to answer the question, my humble mere mortal opinion is that people in that time were not as mature in understanding how to handle conflict nonviolently at that time.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/1/un-condemns-israel-us-not-sharing-iron-dome-hamas/

The UN just condemned Israel for 'war crimes' whatever that means and then said it should share Iron Dome with Hamas. Why would anyone share their defence thing with Hamas? Who exactly is attacking Hamas that isn't already being attacked by Hamas?

Stupid logic.

Personally, I don't understand why God allowed genocides in the Old Testament.

The Torah is much the OT? The Zionists obey the Torah. You say God allowed genocide in the OT.

You see the link to the current Zionists itching for power in Israel? You understand why I stand for Hamas even though they are broken, ill-disciplined and cannot help themselves?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since I am not either the Father in Heaven or Jesus Christ, I cannot give the best answer. However, I suppose I can give my personal humble opinion as a mere mortal.

I personally think people have been evolving in a way, where in Moses' time the people were less able to understand what people can understand now. I think God sent Jesus around 2,000 years ago because people were a bit more 'evolved' (for lack of a better term) and Jesus' teachings greatly helped people evolve even more to be able to be peaceful people who chose nonviolence instead of violence to resolve conflicts.

While granted there are people who deliberately choose violence instead of nonviolence to resolve conflicts, I personally am of the opinion that nonviolent ways to resolve conflict is much more 'evolved' than violent ways.

For example, my husband and I do not resolve conflicts through violence against each other. We resolve conflict by holding hands and communicating. If we tried to hurt each other, first I'd be dead cause my husband is much stronger and bigger than me, and second our marriage would not be strong or evolving/maturing.

Another example, although you and I disagree in some areas, we are not hurting each other. We are communicating. While we continue to disagree, the fact that we can communicate without physically hurting each other shows maturity.

Sadly, i don't think either Israel or Hamas is showing maturity in attacking each other. I think they both need to mature by handling conflict with nonviolence.

Anyways, again to your question, while I'm not God or Jesus Christ to answer the question, my humble mere mortal opinion is that people in that time were not as mature in understanding how to handle conflict nonviolently at that time.

No that's a dangerous thing to say. What you're saying is people should have been evolved and civilized to make love triumph over violence. That was what Inzamam99 pponyrd out. Now do you agree? That love can beat violence only when the people are civilised enough?

You know, without violence against Hitler the Jews would have been massacred to a greater degree, and he would still be in power. Do you deny that violence is always unacceptable in today's world? That through love etc the Nazis would have been won over?

In today's world too there are barbarians worse or equal to the Pharaoh of Moses. You'll be the one immature to deny that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should I ask forgiveness from Jesus or from God?

Jesus Christ taught his followers to pray to their Father in Heaven, so if you want, you could direct your prayer to the Father in Heaven. Jesus Christ can hear as well, as shown by Stephen, the first Christian martyr. Stephen didn't kill anybody, but rather was killed for his belief in Jesus Christ. Before he died, he saw a vision of Jesus Christ and prayed to Jesus.
(I boldened some.)

'54 When the members of the Sanhedrin heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. 55But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 “Look,” he said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”

57 At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58 dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.
59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.'
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%207&version=NIV

By the way, asleep in Christian talk also means dead, like when Jesus said the girl was asleep and Lazarus was asleep - in death- (Mark 5:39; John 11:11). Since people will rise again on Judgement Day, death is like a sleep.

Should I go to a confession in a catholic church?

I'm not a Catholic, so I would not give that counsel. When I sin, I ask my Father in Heaven for forgiveness and strive not to sin again.

Am I his enemy? Will his followers love me if I was?

Lol. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I love you. :smile: I don't think you are my enemy though. You aren't trying to hurt me, as far as I am aware. :smile: My definition of an enemy to me is a person who tries to hurt me. You are more like a neighbor, and Jesus said to love one's neighbor as oneself (Matthew 22:39). :smile:

This is the second greatest command actually: to love one's neighbor as oneself. I wish both the Arab states and Palestine and Israel were loving their neighbors as oneself.

I have to go now. Peace and thanks for the interesting discussion.
Original post by ClickItBack
Just reading through this article and seeing the way opinion across the political spectrum is starting to turn against Israel, I'm beginning to wonder whether the Israeli government has considered whether its actions lately are in their own long-term interests.

Despite longstanding Western and in particular US support for Israel, they seem increasingly hard pressed to turn a blind eye to Israel's actions in the region. The UN has already condemned them repeatedly. I also worry that such a disproportionate and brutal retaliation will only engender more anti-Semitism and Islamic militancy; not to mention potentially destabilising the region further as countries like Iran adopt an even more antagonistic posture to Israel/the West.

Benjamin Netanyahu and much of the Israeli leadership are, or at least were at one point, intelligent people. Are they being short-sighted in this conflict, though? Or do they feel that this actually secures their long term interests better than a less bloody response?

There really is very little we can reasonably do, economically they are a technological superpower if we did decide to completely boycott them we would suffer just as much as they would. The boycott campaigns flying around really don't understand the half of it, the amount of tech related products that at least in part are developed in Israel is staggering for a country so small. Microsoft, Intel, Nokia and many more including companies that produce pharmaceutical and medical tech have huge R&D departments based in Israel, are we meant to stop using their products all together? The effect that would have on this country would be devistating.

The other thing to consider here is look at the alternatives, Israel has problems and i agree their actions at the moment are over the top however in regards to human rights they are by far the best of a bad bunch, they don't execute gay people they don't store weapons in schools and hospitals they don't punish non-jews because they have a different religion and for the most part Israelis have freedom of speech. If we did somehow economically cripple Israel that would strengthen their neighbours who openly despise us and if they had the capabilities that we or Israel have god only knows what they would do.

Israel isn't shooting itself in the foot because the UN has despised them for years and I’m guessing they have worked out by now the UN is all bark no bite and is ultimately powerless when dealing with a developed country, they don't care what the UN thinks. The west may criticise Israel’s actions however in the long run they are still our ally and unless the middle east goes through a social revolution in the foreseeable future that is not going to change, turning against them would hurt us just as much as them and do nothing but strengthen our enemies.

They believe this offensive secures their interests and to some extent i agree, the dismantling of Hamas's tunnel network is something that needs to be done however i think the reason they are showing less restraint than usual and pretty much blanking our opinions is because they know the above and although this will give them bad PR for a few years at least the dismantling of Hamas seems to be a much more pressing issue than our opinion of them because when push comes to shove there is little we would be willing to do against them.
(edited 9 years ago)

I have to go now. Peace and thanks for the interesting discussion.

Thank you! So far I've learnt that

1. Christians even hardcore ones like you cannot understand why God allowed genocide in the OT

2. That love that Jesus taught was delayed so that people could be civilized enough. That your opinion why violence was used to solve conflicts in the past was because people was not evolved to understand love. I don't know if you believe that there are barbarians of that type after Jesus like Hitler?

3.That people like you are ignorant in their support of Israel who are Jews that believe in a scripture that allows genocide. That the Koran is better, much much better. That the article in The Times of Israel was justifying genocide.

4. That Christians are hypocrites. Sorry, but that should be said. Something I reconfirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending