The Student Room Group

Student halls Rejection

Hi there,

So I've been rejected for student halls at QMUL, kinda gutted but I'm not sure about what to do next. Private halls and accommodation is unfortunately out of my reach. By public transport QMUL would be about an hour to an hour and a half away from home, whilst my insurance (which is in central London) is only approx 30 minutes away. Would it be worth commuting all that way if I got my firm choice for QMUL? What are your experiences?

Thanks
Original post by GoatfromMaroc
Hi there,

So I've been rejected for student halls at QMUL, kinda gutted but I'm not sure about what to do next. Private halls and accommodation is unfortunately out of my reach. By public transport QMUL would be about an hour to an hour and a half away from home, whilst my insurance (which is in central London) is only approx 30 minutes away. Would it be worth commuting all that way if I got my firm choice for QMUL? What are your experiences?

Thanks

How is private accommodation out of your reach? You would need to look into that after first year anyway even if you had the place in halls.
Original post by jelly1000
How is private accommodation out of your reach? You would need to look into that after first year anyway even if you had the place in halls.

As in financially, at this moment in time.
As in financially, at this moment in time.

Have you looked at Cass and Claredale? QMUL recommends them as alternative halls, and they have rooms at around 130pw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arguendo
Have you looked at Cass and Claredale? QMUL recommends them as alternative halls, and they have rooms at around 130pw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never heard of them to be honest. Are they private? Time to Google! Thanks for the info
Reply 5
Hi there,

Thanks

Can I ask, how did you get rejected for student halls? Isn't there a guarantee for first year undergrads that they'll get an offer in student halls? Or is this only guaranteed at some universities?
Reply 6
I also got rejection by ucl residence department. Have you found the alternative choices yet? I am also searching hard now.
Original post by AnharM
Can I ask, how did you get rejected for student halls? Isn't there a guarantee for first year undergrads that they'll get an offer in student halls? Or is this only guaranteed at some universities?

Queen Mary don't guarentee to those who live within teh M25
Original post by AnharM

Well everyone got an email from QM to update whether they were successful in getting into student halls or not. They said to me "Due to the unprecedented volume of applications from eligible applicants, currently all rooms in Queen Mary housing and Intercollegiate Halls are fully allocated to those who applied much earlier than the published deadline. Our rooms are allocated on a "first come first serve" basis, in strict date order.." (this is where I messed up)

Thereafter they offered the private halls at a negotiated price, both in East London, but still out of my reach.

Queen Mary is also one of those unis where you cannot reapply to live in student halls for second year.
i just applied for the Unite building - Sherren House?
It's expensive (£177 a week or something) but looks pretty decent :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending