The Student Room Group

Aspiring medics: AS Results?

Anyone else waiting for their AS results?

I'm not sure what I want.. obv AAAA would be brilliant but unrealistic, I feel I'd be content with AABB (given I resit one of the Bs) but then some universities may ask for 4 As or an A in the dropped subject

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by erudite
Anyone else waiting for their AS results?

I'm not sure what I want.. obv AAAA would be brilliant but unrealistic, I feel I'd be content with AABB (given I resit one of the Bs) but then some universities may ask for 4 As or an A in the dropped subject

I would say ABBB is the average expected for an aspiring medic. Some universities specify at least a B in the 4th AS subject. Some universities don't take AS results into consideration and just look at predicted A2's. AABB is still good and will keep a lot of doors open!
As long as I get AAA as my predicted A2 grades, I don't think it really matters.
Reply 3
Original post by Jaska
As long as I get AAA as my predicted A2 grades, I don't think it really matters.

This is all that matters really. Some unis want abbb minimum like Sheffield but just get the predictions
I'm doing AS right now and I'm predicted AAAAA in bio/chem/maths/German and French but I feel like I'm going to get BACAA :// Maybe a B for maths if I'm lucky but S1 and core 2 went pretty badly.
Reply 5
Original post by WishIHadRevised
I'm doing AS right now and I'm predicted AAAAA in bio/chem/maths/German and French but I feel like I'm going to get BACAA :// Maybe a B for maths if I'm lucky but S1 and core 2 went pretty badly.

3 A's 2 B's(Potentially) is fine, Just make sure your predicted AAA or higher at A2 and will shouldn't have any problems :smile:
Original post by 06shawm
3 A's 2 B's(Potentially) is fine, Just make sure your predicted AAA or higher at A2 and will shouldn't have any problems :smile:

But would that mean I could only apply to a PBL course? :frown: Thanks for your advice though!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
But would that mean I could only apply to a PBL course? :frown: Thanks for your advice though!! :biggrin:

Other facts would have to be taken into consideration to determine what medical schools you could apply too i.e GCSE's, UKCAT, BMAT(If you are considering it)

What are your GCSE's like? Have you done your UKCAT yet?

Btw, whats wrong with a PBL course? :tongue: :biggrin:
Original post by 06shawm
Other facts would have to be taken into consideration to determine what medical schools you could apply too i.e GCSE's, UKCAT, BMAT(If you are considering it)

What are your GCSE's like? Have you done your UKCAT yet?

Btw, whats wrong with a PBL course? :tongue: :biggrin:

I haven't got the money to take the BMAT haha :/
I'm "preparing" for the UKCAT tomorrow and my exam's in 26 days lol but I'm going on holiday for 10 days so yep that's not looking so great... :/ I've gotten like 34% in mocks. ://

For my GCSEs I did quite well I got 11A*s and 1A but then again they won't matter if my AS levels go reaaaally badly. ://

And idk I just think PBL I wouldn't have that much motivation for it haha I mean I like to be spoon-fed a little bit. I would love a traditional course but I don't see how I'd get one if I'm not going to take the BMAT. :frown: Oh well!
Reply 9
I haven't got the money to take the BMAT haha :/
I'm "preparing" for the UKCAT tomorrow and my exam's in 26 days lol but I'm going on holiday for 10 days so yep that's not looking so great... :/ I've gotten like 34% in mocks. ://

For my GCSEs I did quite well I got 11A*s and 1A but then again they won't matter if my AS levels go reaaaally badly. ://

And idk I just think PBL I wouldn't have that much motivation for it haha I mean I like to be spoon-fed a little bit. I would love a traditional course but I don't see how I'd get one if I'm not going to take the BMAT. :frown: Oh well!

Sorry to hear about that. Is there no way to get the fee waived in certain circumstances.

Just keep revising, your score will improve over time! :smile:

Wow, there fantastic GCSE's!

Fair point, everyone has preferences on certain teaching methods and you should always choose the one best suited to you! :biggrin: I have to be honest, the majority of traditional medical schools are BMAT ones. I think bristol is a traditional medical school and they don't require the BMAT or the UKCAT.

Did you do OCR maths? i thought c2 was haarrddd too :L
Original post by Chief Wiggum
You can afford a holiday but can't afford the BMAT fee?

Maybe he spent all his money on the holiday and has none left for the fee?
Original post by Dilzo999

Lol, pretty unlikely surely. I think if you can afford to go on a holiday, you can afford £44 for an exam.

Anyway, if he really can't afford it, then the website says:

"In some cases, yes, we can reimburse the BMAT fee based on ability to pay. We reimburse standard entry fees to eligible candidates who have taken the BMAT and applied to a BMAT university. Late entry fees and administration fees cannot be reimbursed.

UK students can apply for the BMAT standard entry fee to be reimbursed if they receive:

the full Adult Learning Grant (ALG)
the full Maintenance Grant
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
income support.
EU candidates who receive equivalent allowances or grants in their home country may also be eligible.

Candidates registered at a closed centre should ask their Exams Officer, Head of Sixth Form or Careers Officer to contact us."
Original post by Chief Wiggum
You can afford a holiday but can't afford the BMAT fee?

Well I'm taking the UKCAT which cost £65 and I have about £20 left to spend for the summer. Money is tight at home because my Dad is about to lose his job. Don't really think
it's fair for you to judge me like that but thanks for the information.

Original post by Dilzo999

Hope your upper-class lifestyle is treating you well.
Well I'm taking the UKCAT which cost £65 and I have about £20 left to spend for the summer. Money is tight at home because my Dad is about to lose his job. Don't really think
it's fair for you to judge me like that but thanks for the information.

Hope your upper-class lifestyle is treating you well.

Then speak to your school, I helpfully posted stuff about getting the fee reimbursed. That's just if you want to do the bmat of course, maybe you don't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jatyization
would a B in chemistry be a complete disaster at AS? I made some horrible mistakes in AQA unit 1 chemistry, I might not get an A because to that. :frown:

A B at AS is fine as long as your teacher predicts you an A at A2. You would probably need to resit unit 1 to bump up your UMS though! :biggrin:
Thats a relief!!!! Thanks for the help and it was great to hear :biggrin:

I guess its just a case of apply smartly...

No problem! :biggrin:

Yes most definitely, apply to your strengths!
Reply 17
Thats a relief!!!! Thanks for the help and it was great to hear :biggrin:

I guess its just a case of apply smartly...

I got a B in chemistry due to the practical being a D. Was able to apply to everywhere I wanted really. I think it's cancels out like Oxbridge and Birmingham... But yeah don't worry about get AAAB /AABB that's very good for AS
Reply 18
would a B in chemistry be a complete disaster at AS? I made some horrible mistakes in AQA unit 1 chemistry, I might not get an A because to that. :frown:

I'm expecting a B in chem too!! Already decided i was resitting before i did the exam haha
Reply 19
How important is the grade in the fourth AS which i will be dropping? It is physics btw....

Depends per uni, some may want an A in the dropped subject (eg Southampton), others might want a B (eg Sheffield), or some may not care!

Quick Reply

Latest