The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EatAndRevise
Meh, I would not go to College. I would feel as if I were a complete failure if I went.

So if university is not possible, you would feel like more of a failure going to college than living on the dole?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
So if university is not possible, you would feel like more of a failure going to college than living on the dole?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't want to start an argument, but I feel that College is not something I want to attend.

If I could not go to university, I would already feel like a failure, I guess it is the way I have been brought up. So if I had to go to college, I would be very disappointed. I am sorry if that conflicts with your opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

university or college isnt the be all and end all now in scotland there is a range of apprenticeships and work placements that allow people to get experience and go into the world of work, just because you dont go to university/college doesnt mean you will be on the dole most of my family didnt go to university and they are still very successful .. neither does university degree guarantee a job, its all about the persons ability to succeed and the ambition they have to do it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't want to start an argument, but I feel that College is not something I want to attend.

If I could not go to university, I would already feel like a failure, I guess it is the way I have been brought up. So if I had to go to college, I would be very disappointed. I am sorry if that conflicts with your opinions.

i actually agree with what you are saying there is always large amount of pressures. I guess everything in life doesnt always get handed to you though you need to make a decision at the end of the day and if college isnt for you then there is other options :smile:

That is fair enough. But if you fail to get into university, would you want to remain a 'failure' or use college as a stepping stone for uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is fair enough. But if you fail to get into university, would you want to remain a 'failure' or use college as a stepping stone for uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a tough one.

I think my parents would, in deep regret, 'force' me to go to college if I did not get into any university. Thus, college would be used as a stepping-stone.
“The plain fact is that the planet does not need more successful people. But it does desperately need more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of every kind. It needs people who live well in their places. It needs people of moral courage willing to join the fight to make the world habitable and humane. And these qualities have little to do with success as we have defined it.”
That is a tough one.

I think my parents would, in deep regret, 'force' me to go to college if I did not get into any university. Thus, college would be used as a stepping-stone.

Indeed. Once a failure doesn't mean always a failure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 468
I am also one of many stressed about Tuesday. Sat my s5 exams and unsure how to feel about them still, feel as if it could go either way. Really want to do well as i feel like a lot of doors may close otherwise :frown:
Super stressed, feel like Tuesday can't come quick enough but I'm also dreading it! Results day wasn't half as bad last year, I think part of me knew it didn't really matter but this year is defo a big deal :frown::frown:
Original post by laurenmhari
Good luck! Sounds like you'll do well :smile: I'm doing AH English

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! How are you feeling about your own results? I'm really hoping I do well because I'm sure my friends said that if you meet the entry requirements for Glasgow you're practically guaranteed an unconditional! I was one of about 3 people who actually enjoyed English in my school this year so I thought I may as well do AH so I can get into the "UNI style" of writing!
Maths was definitely very hard! At least that hopefully means that the pass mark will be lower!!
Absolutely briking it for my higher results!!
Original post by MartinLaird
I'm really hoping I do well because I'm sure my friends said that if you meet the entry requirements for Glasgow you're practically guaranteed an unconditional! !

Just as a tip, for some courses at Glasgow they basically do it on a first-come, first-served basis. So if you exceed the entry requirements and apply reasonably early - November/December there's a good chance of a place :smile:
I know someone who got an unconditional the day after she sent off her UCAS so it's never a bad idea to apply early :L
Original post by greenladybird
Just as a tip, for some courses at Glasgow they basically do it on a first-come, first-served basis. So if you exceed the entry requirements and apply reasonably early - November/December there's a good chance of a place :smile:
I know someone who got an unconditional the day after she sent off her UCAS so it's never a bad idea to apply early :L

Yeah, from my experience in the academic year just passed of applying to uni Glasgow was definitely the quickest in getting back. I got my offer from them in December as did most people in my year who applied to them. I doubt they just give away all their places as soon as they get enough applications but they certainly give away a lot early it would seem
Does ANYBODY KNOW what the national 5 maths and chemistry pass percentage would be ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If they spoke to a teacher or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPiddy
Does ANYBODY KNOW what the national 5 maths and chemistry pass percentage would be ?

If they spoke to a teacher or something

Unfortunately, no-one will know for sure until Tuesday when the SQA publish the grade boundaries
Original post by jackamakka
Unfortunately, no-one will know for sure until Tuesday when the SQA publish the grade boundaries

😡😡😡

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm wondering if anyone who's had some experience with uni applications could help here.

I think I've got AAABC but the course I want to do has the entry requirements of AAAA or AAABB. What would the chances be that I could get a conditional, with the fact that I'm doing two Advanced Highers this year in the two subjects which would make up the degree (Maths & Physics) plus another Higher?
Original post by jackamakka
I'm wondering if anyone who's had some experience with uni applications could help here.

I think I've got AAABC but the course I want to do has the entry requirements of AAAA or AAABB. What would the chances be that I could get a conditional, with the fact that I'm doing two Advanced Highers this year in the two subjects which would make up the degree (Maths & Physics) plus another Higher?

AAABC are excellent grades and with those grades you would more than likely get a conditional based on 6th year results. No point in stressing about it. Good luck with your results

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending