The Student Room Group

I want to study pharmacy in university

Does anyone know any university in the UK that only requires a level chemistry to do pharmacy ?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What subjects do you study? Most (if not all) universities require chemistry plus another science (biology, maths, physics, I think geology or whatever might count too).

It's definitely good that you have chemistry as I'd say that's the main requirement. Depending on how well your other subjects complement it, and what your predicted grades are/GCSE grades, then you may be accepted.
No you dont. You want to study medicine or dentistry but you cant get in.
Original post by alevelzzz

OMG xD
Original post by Jaska
OMG xD

What? Its the truth and asians dont bother to research pharmacy and realise its not worth a 4 year masters degree. They don't know anything about the saturation in pharmacy and don't know how truly boring the job is.
Its ****ing idiot asian parents who drill into their kids to do this course. Why do you think it is that 90% of pharmacy students are asian?
What? Its the truth and asians dont bother to research pharmacy and realise its not worth a 4 year masters degree. They don't know anything about the saturation in pharmacy and don't know how truly boring the job is.
Its ****ing idiot asian parents who drill into their kids to do this course. Why do you think it is that 90% of pharmacy students are asian?

How do you know she's asian and is it only asian parents that do this? And I'm guessing you're either a medical student or applying to medicine?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jaska
How do you know he's asian and is it only asian parents that do this? And I'm guessing you're either a medical student or applying to medicine?

It is only asian parents that do this. And no, Im not a medical student and Im probably going to apply for dentistry, not medicine.
I know he/she is asian because its ****ing pharmacy. Not to mention her/his username.

its a degree for medical/dental rejects. They will never make as much money as a doctor or dentist, never respected as much as doctors or dentists and their job is mind numbingly boring and is basically a glorified shopkeeper.

It pisses me off that asian parents force their kids into pharmacy if they cant get into medicine/dentistry. They're ruining their kids' lives and have ABSOLUTELY NO KNOWLEDGE of pharmacy in the UK in its current state.
Btw i am asian and everyone from my college whos applying for pharmacy is asian and wanted to do either medicine or dentistry
It is only asian parents that do this. And no, Im not a medical student and Im probably going to apply for dentistry, not medicine.
I know he/she is asian because its ****ing pharmacy. Not to mention her/his username.

its a degree for medical/dental rejects. They will never make as much money as a doctor or dentist, never respected as much as doctors or dentists and their job is mind numbingly boring and is basically a glorified shopkeeper.

It pisses me off that asian parents force their kids into pharmacy if they cant get into medicine/dentistry. They're ruining their kids' lives and have ABSOLUTELY NO KNOWLEDGE of pharmacy in the UK in its current state.
Btw i am asian and everyone from my college whos applying for pharmacy is asian and wanted to do either medicine or dentistry

Do you have first hand experience working in a pharmacy? and you make it seem like you have to pick between dentistry and medicine, if you're not sure you definitely want to do one then you probably should get more experience and not apply cause of money which you imply most asians care about. And finally what if OP does actually enjoy pharmacy for what it is?

Excuzzzz me! I for one actually WANTED to study pharmacy.

Oh and I am not Asian fyi.
(edited 9 years ago)
Smh. How about those who genuinely want to do pharmacy ? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chukkeigh

:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaska
Do you have first hand experience working in a pharmacy? and you make it seem like you have to pick between dentistry and medicine, if you're not sure you definitely want to do one then you probably should get more experience and not apply cause of money which you imply most asians care about. And finally what if OP does actually enjoy pharmacy for what it is?

Yes, I do have work experience in a pharmacy. Its God awful. Go on any pharmacy forum and see what people are saying about it. Unlike the majority of asians I do research.
I have to pick between dentistry and medicine because they are the best degrees for what I am looking for in a career and based on the a levels I have.

Regardless the majority are asian.

You are asian dont deny it
Pharmacy is overrated go into petro chem instead you can make £30,000 a year from day 1
Original post by James222
You are asian dont deny it
Pharmacy is overrated go into petro chem instead you can make £30,000 a year from day 1

Far from it mate. I would much rather stick with my MPharm degree but thanks for the suggestion.
Far from it mate. I would much rather stick with my MPharm degree but thanks for the suggestion.

Do you realise the level of saturation in pharmacy? The amount of graduates is going up every single year, 3 new pharmacy schools were opened this year and its not going to stop any time soon. The government do not control student numbers for pharmacy and so any university can open a pharmacy school as long as they get accreditation. There are not enough Pre-Reg places anymore. You will most likely be working in boots or the Co-op and treated like a blue collar worker. Your colleagues will not be university educated and your employers will make you work like a dog.
No matter how good or how bad you are you will not be rewarded since pharmacy is not a 'skill' like medicine or dentistry is.
Nobody gives a **** if they have a 'bad' pharmacist, everybody cares if their dentist or doctor is incompetent.
There is no career progression in retail pharmacy.
Do you realise the level of saturation in pharmacy? The amount of graduates is going up every single year, 3 new pharmacy schools were opened this year and its not going to stop any time soon. The government do not control student numbers for pharmacy and so any university can open a pharmacy school as long as they get accreditation. There are not enough Pre-Reg places anymore. You will most likely be working in boots or the Co-op and treated like a blue collar worker. Your colleagues will not be university educated and your employers will make you work like a dog.
No matter how good or how bad you are you will not be rewarded since pharmacy is not a 'skill' like medicine or dentistry is.
Nobody gives a **** if they have a 'bad' pharmacist, everybody cares if their dentist or doctor is incompetent.
There is no career progression in retail pharmacy.

Why are you making it seem as if the only option is retail pharmacy? There are loads of other options such as hospital, industry, prison, bloody military, perhaps I want to go into research? Drug discovery? Get a phd? Become a lecturer?!
Erm I want to study pharmacy and I'm far from asian lol :unimpressed:
Why are you making it seem as if the only option is retail pharmacy? There are loads of other options such as hospital, industry, prison, bloody military, perhaps I want to go into research? Drug discovery? Get a phd? Become a lecturer?!

Randon question. Are you nigerian ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well said :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending