The Student Room Group

Any point in applying for a Job now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by corax
Mm yeah, I think I'm going to try and find some temporary positions.
I feel a bit disappointed with myself as I was determined to get a job when I finished college and save for Uni :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here.The temp positions I've seen are till oct ,nov and jan:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by corax
Anybody had any luck?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went on a CV run earlier this week and managed to hand out only 3 CVs to the ~30 pubs/bars that I went to, and of the 3 places that I gave my CVs to, only one currently had vacancies, the other two just told me to leave my CVs with them just in case anything comes up.

Most of the pubs and bars I went to said they weren't hiring. But the other reason is that they were looking for people to stick around longer instead of just doing less than 2 months work and leaving for uni. Then there were 1-2 places that flat-out said that you needed previous pub/bar experience to work for them. So I obviously didn't bother giving my CVs to those places.

As well as that, I've been applying for the entriest of entry-level admin jobs on reed and indeed among other job listing sites. Still no luck. Its August tomorrow, I'm starting to think that all this effort is futile. I think I'll try for another week, maybe go for 'events' jobs, hope I have more luck there as they're all short-term jobs so that'll fit me well.
By the way, how many applications do you all they you've made so far in your job hunt?

Included the 3 places where I handed my CVs to, I think I've made just over 30 applications
Reply 43
Original post by Words
Is your interview on the 7th for Boots? :smile:

Hello! And no, I already had my interview. I got a job now :smile:
I actually turned down an interview invitation like 3 weeks ago because I thought there was no point if I'm moving away to uni in September. What have I done??:facepalm:
Reply 45
Original post by Jack93o
I went on a CV run earlier this week and managed to hand out only 3 CVs to the ~30 pubs/bars that I went to, and of the 3 places that I gave my CVs to, only one currently had vacancies, the other two just told me to leave my CVs with them just in case anything comes up.

Most of the pubs and bars I went to said they weren't hiring. But the other reason is that they were looking for people to stick around longer instead of just doing less than 2 months work and leaving for uni. Then there were 1-2 places that flat-out said that you needed previous pub/bar experience to work for them. So I obviously didn't bother giving my CVs to those places.

As well as that, I've been applying for the entriest of entry-level admin jobs on reed and indeed among other job listing sites. Still no luck. Its August tomorrow, I'm starting to think that all this effort is futile. I think I'll try for another week, maybe go for 'events' jobs, hope I have more luck there as they're all short-term jobs so that'll fit me well.

Yeah same thing happened to me when I went giving CVs out. A few places said they were recruiting again in September, which is no good :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Applied for McDonalds last night for a temporary position, not sure whether that'll decrease my chances but even if I got a job there I'd have to mention eventually that I'd be leaving.

Going to apply to Sports Direct as they have a temporary position where I live, there might be some where you guys live as well.

Original post by purple_panther
I actually turned down an interview invitation like 3 weeks ago because I thought there was no point if I'm moving away to uni in September. What have I done??:facepalm:

Aha dayumn girl! Where was it for? :tongue:
Original post by corax
Applied for McDonalds last night for a temporary position, not sure whether that'll decrease my chances but even if I got a job there I'd have to mention eventually that I'd be leaving.

Going to apply to Sports Direct as they have a temporary position where I live, there might be some where you guys live as well.

Aha dayumn girl! Where was it for? :tongue:

Brantano (shoe shop) haha but still. It's a 10 minute walk from my house as well so would have been really convenient. Now I'll never know if I would have got it.:redface: What was I thinking?
Original post by purple_panther
Brantano (shoe shop) haha but still. It's a 10 minute walk from my house as well so would have been really convenient. Now I'll never know if I would have got it.:redface: What was I thinking?

whwy did you turn it down?
Original post by Jack93o
whwy did you turn it down?

Because I'll be moving away to university in September so I've just got under 2 months left and I guess I'd feel bad taking a job just for that. I really regret it now though
How many hours of work (part time) are you guys planning to do at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by livealittle
How many hours of work (part time) are you guys planning to do at uni?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure, whatever's manageable I suppose. I'd like to get a job at the Uni as I presume they'd be a lot more flexible with hours and easier to get. Also, it would save on bus fares as the Uni I'm going to isn't in the city centre. You?

Quick Reply

Latest