The Student Room Group

Cliches

Post cliched dialogue or scenarios from movies and TV shows.
I'll try to compile a list in the OP and link to the relevant post number.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Every film has set pieces. It's part of being part of a conventional genre. Horror films are probably the worst offenders. You could pick a handful from any.
Nearly every Bollywood movie :rolleyes: the Indians out there know what I'm talking about :lol:
Well there's
Woman: I can't believe the only reason you went out with me was to get revenge (or spy on my/my family).
Guy: I'm so sorry you had to find out this way. It is true that that was the reason I went out with you initially however after awhile I began to love you. My feelings are real.
Woman: How could I ever trust anything that comes out of your mouth? You're dead to me! Get out of my house, now. You're lucky my father (or brother or good strong friend) isn't here.
Guy: I'm so sorry.

A short while later
*knock, knock*
Woman: I thought about what you said earlier and I think what we have is real.

[make out session]
Reply 4
Cop cliches that piss me off:

The alcoholic ex-cop who drowns his sorrows using alcohol (usually whiskey in a smoky dive bar). His wife/girlfriend has left him too.

The tough rookie cop who is trying to prove himself/herself, move up the ranks and is one of the few corrupt officers in the force.

The one cop who does things 'against the rules' and eventually gets pulled from the case by the captain.

The experienced cop who is about to retire

The chief who has a mayor constantly 'up his ass'

The beautiful female cop who goes undercover as a hooker.

The corrupt cop who takes cash bribes, addicted to gambling or alcohol, makes suggestive comments to female witnesses (or tries to have sex with them), has ties to some gang (the Mafia, Russian Mob, Triads, Yakuza, etc) and uses violence as a way of persuasion. Also whenever he busts a dealer, half of the drugs and half of the money never makes it to the evidence room.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh, this must be a discussion thread for the new tv programme 'The 100'.
Original post by Tom_green_day
Oh, this must be a discussion thread for the new tv programme 'The 100'.

:tongue:. Didn't care much for it.
Reply 7
Original post by chocolatesauce
Nearly every Bollywood movie :rolleyes: the Indians out there know what I'm talking about :lol:

From what I learnt from one of my friends:

*character enters busy room*

[[DRAMATIC ZOOM INTO EVERYONE'S FACES]]
Reply 8
Unique outcast girl. Goes to new school, sits next to boy [[insert any garbage story lasting for 80% of the film]] boy falls for girl. Kisses. -end-
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
From what I learnt from one of my friends:

*character enters busy room*

[[DRAMATIC ZOOM INTO EVERYONE'S FACES]]

If they were Hollywood movies they'd be called musicals but id recommend watching the 3 idiots :smile:
Reply 10
*Aliens invade earth*

Arnold Schwarzenegger: NO DON DO DAT

Aliens: <ok_guy.meme>

*Earth saved*

Arnold Schwarzenegger: GIT TO DA CHOPPA
Original post by keromedic
:tongue:. Didn't care much for it.

It was incredibly chock-full of cliches flying at you from all directions for the whole runtime. I thought it would be a nice little bit of Lost but in space- and I know Lost isn't exactly without fault- but this was just insane. They literally copy and pasted any American high-school drama and put it in a forest.
*Aliens invade earth*

Arnold Schwarzenegger: NO DON DO DAT

Aliens: <ok_guy.meme>

*Earth saved*

Arnold Schwarzenegger: GIT TO DA CHOPPA

The only film I can think of that follows this is Predator? I mean I haven't seen all his films and he's not exactly the most flexible actor but if there's any actor that's defended the world one too many times, it's probably Will Smith and not Arhnie.
Reply 13
Original post by Tom_green_day
The only film I can think of that follows this is Predator? I mean I haven't seen all his films and he's not exactly the most flexible actor but if there's any actor that's defended the world one too many times, it's probably Will Smith and not Arhnie.

*aliens invade earth*

Will Smith: *does some cool *****

Aliens: Whoa he's too cool

*Will Smith blows up aliens*

Earth is safe once more
Unique outcast girl. Goes to new school, sits next to boy [[insert any garbage story lasting for 80% of the film]] boy falls for girl. Kisses. -end-

So cynical -_-
Reply 15
Original post by keromedic
So cynical -_-

It is the ultimate cliché
Has there ever been a prophesy that just turned out to be a load of old hogwash in the movie universe?
*aliens invade earth*

Will Smith: *does some cool *****

Will Smith: Aw hell naw

Aliens: Whoa he's too cool

Will Smith has dorky sidekick

*Will Smith blows up aliens*

Earth is safe once more

Will Smith raps over credits

Added a few
Dad gets new job, has to move family into new area. Girl doesn't want to move. Family moves anyway. Girl goes to new school, sits next to boy who she doesn't normally get on with. Guy doesn't like her either but they get paired up in an class assignment. Whole movie is pretending not to be in love with each other. Fall in love. Argument. Realise they are perfect for each other. End.
"I'm the only one who can do this"
"I'm the only who can save the world"
"I have to do this myself"
"I'm the chosen one"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending