The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by H0PEL3SS
What did you get at AS, if you don't mind me asking?
Anyway, I myself am hoping to apply to Warwick, absolutely loved it on the open day.. But like a few people here, I'm worried I won't get the A in AS FM, due to FP1. Do you guys think AABB would be good enough?

I got 4 As. I think if your predicted grades are A*A*AA or above you'll get an offer. I remember reading on a Warwick document that in 2012 (?) I think it was 1 in 3 got offers. If your FP1 is bad but your other 2 modules are good then it might be overlooked. You're best to make an informed decision on results day, but AABB would be around average for Warwick I'd say.
Original post by Mike_123
I got 4 As. I think if your predicted grades are A*A*AA or above you'll get an offer. I remember reading on a Warwick document that in 2012 (?) I think it was 1 in 3 got offers. If your FP1 is bad but your other 2 modules are good then it might be overlooked. You're best to make an informed decision on results day, but AABB would be around average for Warwick I'd say.

What AS subjects did you do and did you carry then all onto A2? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
What AS subjects did you do and did you carry then all onto A2? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, fm, economics, physics all to A2. Had a short stint with AS chemistry but that didn't end well :frown:
I'm aiming at top universities (Oxford, Warwick, Lse etc) - do you think it's worthwhile doing the full further maths A level. I've done the AS and am just waiting for my AS results (Maths, economics, chemistry, further maths) but I'm not sure if I am mathsy enough to do A2 further maths :s-smilie:
Original post by groovyd97
I'm aiming at top universities (Oxford, Warwick, Lse etc) - do you think it's worthwhile doing the full further maths A level. I've done the AS and am just waiting for my AS results (Maths, economics, chemistry, further maths) but I'm not sure if I am mathsy enough to do A2 further maths :s-smilie:

Yes definitely - if you look at the LSE course it's incredibly mathematical. You need to be comfortable with A2 fm to survive there. Plus it looks good on your application.
Erm I don't think the AS is too bad (although I've not got my results yet :s-smilie:) I did fp1 d1 and m1 for mine and fp1 isn't too bad, there are actually some quite easy topics like matrices which aren't in normal core units but they're pretty simple. I've no idea which applied module you did this year but d1 is the most pointless module I've done so I'd avoid it if you want something interesting, although it is fairly easy so that might be something to consider? S1 was my easiest module of the applied ones but that's mainly because I wasn't a fan of mechanics. Do you plan on doing the full a level or just as? (Sorry about the massive paragraph haha)

Yeah I just loved warwick when I went, the campus is so nice and I don't mind whether I go out a lot so not having a massive nightlife doesn't particularly bother me, although the student union had a club, pub and bar on campus so it's not awful. Then obviously the course there is really good. It was really a choice for me between warwick and lse for where my top place to apply would be (I'm only borderline on the whole cambridge sitch atm) and I don't want to live in London so that solved it for me :smile:

The places your applying all seem pretty cool, I'll probably apply to nottingham as well. I basically discounted Manchester for the same reason you got rid of leeds because it's my local big city and I know my family would come up a lot aha

Sorry for the massive essay there

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha i picked decision maths as statistics wasn't available in my school this year and oh dear god i hated it with a passion. it was boring and repetitive and pointless and i am definitely dropping it in favour of s1 next year. yep i'm pretty sure i'll continue maths next year, it'd be a big mistake dropping it anyway considering how 9 out of 10 decent unis demand a A-level background in maths. i was talking to my friend yesterday who plans on continuing economics at degree level but did not pick up maths at AS and may have to resit another two years because she does not feel she can squeeze in two years of maths together at A2.

i looked up the lse course and found it much more mathematical than i would like or even be comfortable with. haven't checked warwick yet but considering how so many people here are considering it, ill have a look. is it the cost of living that is putting you off london or something else?

if im being honest, what foremost attracted me to nottingham was the ridiculously high graduate salary :tongue: it was around 28k or something. but obviously it has one of the largest economic departments and is amazing at what it does. have you considered any backup unis, considering nottingham and warwick is aiming pretty high?
Original post by AChhabs0701
haha i picked decision maths as statistics wasn't available in my school this year and oh dear god i hated it with a passion. it was boring and repetitive and pointless and i am definitely dropping it in favour of s1 next year. yep i'm pretty sure i'll continue maths next year, it'd be a big mistake dropping it anyway considering how 9 out of 10 decent unis demand a A-level background in maths. i was talking to my friend yesterday who plans on continuing economics at degree level but did not pick up maths at AS and may have to resit another two years because she does not feel she can squeeze in two years of maths together at A2.

i looked up the lse course and found it much more mathematical than i would like or even be comfortable with. haven't checked warwick yet but considering how so many people here are considering it, ill have a look. is it the cost of living that is putting you off london or something else?

if im being honest, what foremost attracted me to nottingham was the ridiculously high graduate salary :tongue: it was around 28k or something. but obviously it has one of the largest economic departments and is amazing at what it does. have you considered any backup unis, considering nottingham and warwick is aiming pretty high?

I've just heard that London isn't a very good student area and it'd be so expensive I don't feel I'd be able to learn a lot as well as having a good time if that makes any sense?

Hmm my backup unis are probably either leeds it edinburgh but obviously these are also pretty competitive, I'll have to wait and see on results day whether I'll need to rethink my options though :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mike_123
Having been through the process last year, I'm happy to help anyone here if you quote me, or privately if you want some secrecy (I know I did!) via PM.

Hey man. I was thinking to apply for econ this year. I have 3 Alevels chem bio and maths, and hopefully should get 3 A's. I'm currently on my gap year and applying for 2015 entry. I was thinking of doing further maths outside of school during my gap year to boost my application so I can apply to places like notts who prefer FM. I was just thinking what other uni's you would suggest, and also what relevant work experience did you do?
thanks in advance bro
Original post by nikhil95
Hey man. I was thinking to apply for econ this year. I have 3 Alevels chem bio and maths, and hopefully should get 3 A's. I'm currently on my gap year and applying for 2015 entry. I was thinking of doing further maths outside of school during my gap year to boost my application so I can apply to places like notts who prefer FM. I was just thinking what other uni's you would suggest, and also what relevant work experience did you do?
thanks in advance bro

It all depends what you get on results day. If you get A*A*A+ then you're in a very strong position and probably won't require FM, but if you get A*AA that will just allow you to apply for the top schools (UCL, Warwick, LSE and the likes), but you'll be borderline and may require FM. I personally would take the AS+A2 FM in my gap year, because you've got loads of time (if you haven't got something to do) and it's great preparation for a course as mathematical as economics.

I don't think Nottingham favour FM, but even if they do if you got A* maths then I think they'd let you in, so if I were you, I'd aim for 'higher' (not that notts is bad, it's very good) unis if you want to be more ambitious, as you do have 5 slots in your UCAS.

I had zero work experience and can I reiterate that it is absolutely not required. Unis are academic institutions, so your grades are of paramount importance. The only good reason to do work experience in, say, the Bank of England, would be to put it in your personal statement and that may look good, but as long as you've got something else to talk about you'll be fine.
I finished my 10th grade with an 86%. I am doing my IBDP. What grades should i get to study at LSE?
Original post by Saikrishna
I finished my 10th grade with an 86%. I am doing my IBDP. What grades should i get to study at LSE?

Oh is that the international baccalaureate or am I wrong? I'd have thought that the requirements would be on the website if it's ib?
Sorry if I've been no help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been to Nottingham uni today and the campus is really nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
So how's everyone got on today? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am the happiest I've ever been! :biggrin: Got AAAA in maths, economics, history & english language. I am seriously considering picking up further maths because I am in a good position to apply for top unis and they find it desirable, would it be worth it? And how did yours go?
pretty good, i got AAAA in maths, chemistry, economics, further maths.
Economics was 100/100 (f581) and 84/100 (f582) :s-smilie:SS
Original post by AChhabs0701
I am the happiest I've ever been! :biggrin: Got AAAA in maths, economics, history & english language. I am seriously considering picking up further maths because I am in a good position to apply for top unis and they find it desirable, would it be worth it? And how did yours go?

Congratulations!!! I got 4As (maths further maths econ and eng lit) and a B in mandarin so I'm super happy, I was expecting chinese and it's a fifth AS so I'm not too worried!
Obviously it depends on what modules you take but I found further maths AS only a tiny step up from normal maths but obvs A2 will be a different story. If you have the patience to do it I'd probably recommend it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
pretty good, i got AAAA in maths, chemistry, economics, further maths.
Economics was 100/100 (f581) and 84/100 (f582) :s-smilie:SS

Well done that's great!! Oh did you do ocr too? Ah well an As an A ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done that's great!! Oh did you do ocr too? Ah well an As an A ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i do OCR, what UMS did you get in your econ modules?
yeah i do OCR, what UMS did you get in your econ modules?

In f581 I got 98 and in f582 I got 100 yay! :biggrin: so happy haha I was worried I'd messed up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aha I remember getting 184/200 UMS overall, not too sure about specific modules. Never ever come on studentroom unless you wanna feel worse about your grades, they say. xDD

I am going to be emailing UCL/Nottingham regarding this, thank you for your help though. I am also considering a complete turn-around and putting Warwick/York as my top two choices instead, not sure when this happened. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending