The Student Room Group

Getting a spare key for your car

Hi guys,

I hope you're all well and are having a great day :smile:

I recently realised that I have only one key to my car, which means if I lose that one, I'm screwed :frown: This wouldn't be such a problem if I were driving say a Holden or Ford, as they're pretty common where I live.

But my car is a 2-door Mercedes coupe from 2003, the previous owner of which has gone to live overseas...

So the other day I went to a keys cut place and they told me I had to go to a Mercedes Benz dealership and buy a copy from there. Problem is, I almost had to sit down so as to not faint when they told me the price ($600 :eek: ).

My question to you wonderful TSR people, seeing as this forum is Europe-based: do you think it would be possible to order this key online or via another way in which it'd be cheaper than going through the dealership?

It's not vital that I have another key but I just seriously would hate to think what would happen if I lost my current key!

Thanks xxo
Reply 1
I had the same issue with my fiat, Basically the key has a chip in it, which is read by the engine computer every time you turn the engine on.
Only a dealer can read the chip and then duplicate the data onto a new chip/key. (The actual key cutting is not the problem)
depending on the car, i have heard of some auto locksmiths that are able to duplicate keys (But it depeonds on where you live and the specifics of the type of key you have) - so i guess try some independent auto locksmiths.
Wow, I have almost the same car (C Class coupe) and also have one key and have been fearing about the possibility of losing my key since I bought it. The seller only had one key and from research I did 2 months ago, I found that it'll cost around £200-£350 to get a spare key for a car.:eek:

It would cost even more if I lost my key as Mercedes will need to reprogram the car's lock system to a new one and issue you with new keys and unlock the vehicle + they have to go through a few verification procedures to confirm that you are actually the owner of the car and go through a few admin procedures.

As far as I know, Mercedes are the only people who can provide you with a spare key that works. Many (if not all) third party key suppliers/programmers, especially those on eBay, who claim that they can program a spare key are fakes. They may unlock/lock the vehicle, but when you put the key in the ignition and turn the key, the vehicle will not start as the immobiliser will activate. They'll need the computer to actually program the vehicle's central locking system and immobiliser to work with the key.

Similarly, blank keys on eBay will not work as a spare key (though it will work if you take the chip inside the key and put it into the new housing).

One thing I think you could do is to just get the emergency key part of the key cut in a key cutting shop - but that will only allow you to access the vehicle in case you're locked out but not start the vehicle. I'm yet to do this.

I'd recommend checking out various Mercedes forums where someone can better help out and share their experience/knowledge in the matter. MB World(mainly US), Mercedes Club (mainly UK) and Benz World are some popular forums to search.
Reply 3
There are virtually no keys that cannot be duplicated by a high end auto-locksmith. They will also very likely cost less than half the dealer price, depending on the cost of the blank and transponder.
that's a tad expensive, i was only given one key to my car, i have a very common car tho (Corsa)
I was gonna look into getting a new key, i never realised just how expensive they could be :redface:
Reply 5
spare keys always help in case your keys end up in the washing machine
Reply 6
Might be worth getting key insurance. Cost me £15 and they replace your keys if you lose them.
Reply 7
My car key was destroyed whilst my car was getting repaired. Mechanic said it would probably cost £180 for him to replace (though it wasn't him that broke it). So I'm currently using my spare. He said it would be ready in a few days, 6days ago.... #Life
Reply 8
Original post by Hustler-1337
Wow, I have almost the same car (C Class coupe) and also have one key and have been fearing about the possibility of losing my key since I bought it. The seller only had one key and from research I did 2 months ago, I found that it'll cost around £200-£350 to get a spare key for a car.:eek:

It would cost even more if I lost my key as Mercedes will need to reprogram the car's lock system to a new one and issue you with new keys and unlock the vehicle + they have to go through a few verification procedures to confirm that you are actually the owner of the car and go through a few admin procedures.

As far as I know, Mercedes are the only people who can provide you with a spare key that works. Many (if not all) third party key suppliers/programmers, especially those on eBay, who claim that they can program a spare key are fakes. They may unlock/lock the vehicle, but when you put the key in the ignition and turn the key, the vehicle will not start as the immobiliser will activate. They'll need the computer to actually program the vehicle's central locking system and immobiliser to work with the key.

Similarly, blank keys on eBay will not work as a spare key (though it will work if you take the chip inside the key and put it into the new housing).

One thing I think you could do is to just get the emergency key part of the key cut in a key cutting shop - but that will only allow you to access the vehicle in case you're locked out but not start the vehicle. I'm yet to do this.

I'd recommend checking out various Mercedes forums where someone can better help out and share their experience/knowledge in the matter. MB World(mainly US), Mercedes Club (mainly UK) and Benz World are some popular forums to search.
Hey, this was an amazing and useful post and actually made a difference to my life, so I have just positive repped you.

That is soo true about getting a spare key sooner rather than later! I did end up going to a Mercedes Benz dealership, which was a little bit annoying but there wasn't anyone in my area that could copy exactly what I needed ;/

It wasn't too bad though, only $500 (I just try not to think about how a friend of mine who has a Holden only paid $99 for his spare key..). Also one of their staff told me that if I hadn't decided to bite the bullet and get a spare one now, had I lost it it could cost me over $1000 to get a new one :eek:

And I know I'm the type of person that would keep putting it off, then putting it off again, so yeah thanks for your post :biggrin: Defo a good reality check for me! :smile:

Thanks xo
Reply 9
I can open either of my cars with each others keys, one of them can probably be opened with a paperclip....
Original post by NatashaLee
that's a tad expensive, i was only given one key to my car, i have a very common car tho (Corsa)
I was gonna look into getting a new key, i never realised just how expensive they could be :redface:

For something like a Corsa a spare key will be cheap as chips.

It's only so expensive for high end cars because there are electronics contained within the key fob which are linked to the cars electronics, and so each new key has to be programmed so that the car recognises it.
Reply 11
corsa keys range in price dependent on whether standard key or remote key , corsa c or newer corsa d model .

the same can be said for most makes and models , the complexity of programming differs between makes models and year of vehicle .

every day makes like ford vauxhall vw , seat , skoda peugeot citroen etc will always be cheaper than say bmw mercedes etc due to parts costs and software costs

in nottingham you are spoilt for choice as have 2 of the best auto locksmiths in the country based there .

on most makes they can deal with lost keys same day and quickly and not all makes break the bank
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow $600 :eek: that's absolutely ridiculous!

Makes me kinda glad I only have a corsa :rofl:
Reply 13
Original post by nemothefish19
Wow $600 :eek: that's absolutely ridiculous!

Makes me kinda glad I only have a corsa :rofl:

I bet that's the only reason to be glad...
Original post by JC.
I bet that's the only reason to be glad...

Ha pretty much and also because I don't think I would be able to handle a big car just yet.

I do love it though, afterall it's mine.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest