The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scotland101
AAABC are excellent grades and with those grades you would more than likely get a conditional based on 6th year results. No point in stressing about it. Good luck with your results

That's a weight off. Thanks very much, and good luck to you also (if you're receiving results, or if you're just generally brave enough to be around TSR when we all are haha)
Does the marker always give the benefit of the doubt? Will they look for those extra marks to get you from say 69% to 70% to get an A? Do they take into consideration the exam stress & conditions - timing, etc?

I know they've marked them now but will they have done so? I'm trying to put my mind at rest as I can't stop thinking about results - Monday night basically!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
Does the marker always give the benefit of the doubt? Will they look for those extra marks to get you from say 69% to 70% to get an A? Do they take into consideration the exam stress & conditions - timing, etc?

I know they've marked them now but will they have done so? I'm trying to put my mind at rest as I can't stop thinking about results - Monday night basically!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it not depend on the markers personality ? Lol that's actually illogical but maybe for these national 5 exams,
1: Markers will either be lenient on marking or
2: The boundaries will be lower than usual.
Or it could be both, which is what I hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge

Posted from TSR Mobile

A marker will definitely not look for more marks to bring you up to what might be considered an A that year. If they did that, it would completely undermine the concept of having a grade boundary. Unfortunately, there always have been and always will be people who miss an A, a B or a C by 1 mark. In addition, SQA markers are very heavily standardised. Each marker attends numerous conferences on what is and what is not acceptable for which to award a mark. Furthermore, each marker has some of their scripts spot checked to ensure they're not being too lenient or too harsh. Markers will understand that candidates are under pressure in exam situations, but this does not mean they'll award you marks you wouldn't normally be given! It might mean they understand if you have a lot of things scribbled out, or arrows pointing around your page, or poor handwriting. The cut offs are decided after the marking has taken place, so there is no way for a marker to even know the number of marks required for an A, B or C when they're looking at an individual's exam paper.

Good luck for Tuesday. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
We really are approaching the home stretch now...
Original post by jackamakka
We really are approaching the home stretch now...

for some its technically tomorrow, if they stay up all day/night! :smile: but i will probably sleep/stay on here for a while. Im really nervous but ill just watch some movies and fall asleep haha
Original post by AspiringMedic8
A marker will definitely not look for more marks to bring you up to what might be considered an A that year. If they did that, it would completely undermine the concept of having a grade boundary. Unfortunately, there always have been and always will be people who miss an A, a B or a C by 1 mark. In addition, SQA markers are very heavily standardised. Each marker attends numerous conferences on what is and what is not acceptable for which to award a mark. Furthermore, each marker has some of their scripts spot checked to ensure they're not being too lenient or too harsh. Markers will understand that candidates are under pressure in exam situations, but this does not mean they'll award you marks you wouldn't normally be given! It might mean they understand if you have a lot of things scribbled out, or arrows pointing around your page, or poor handwriting. The cut offs are decided after the marking has taken place, so there is no way for a marker to even know the number of marks required for an A, B or C when they're looking at an individual's exam paper.

Good luck for Tuesday. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that makes sense :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathsisannoying
for some its technically tomorrow, if they stay up all day/night! :smile: but i will probably sleep/stay on here for a while. Im really nervous but ill just watch some movies and fall asleep haha

That'll be me. I couldn't even sleep until 4 today thinking about these results, there's no chance I'll sleep until I get them tomorrow night
Reply 488
I honestly am terrified of receiving my higher results, last I pretty confident with most of my SG exams and I passed them all at the level I wanted - but this year it's a completely different story... Good luck to everybody on Tuesday :smile:
Don't worry guys, I'm sure you'll all be fine - all of us at TSR will be up all night with you guys to help with anything that you need so don't hesitate to post questions in threads etc if you want some advice...

Good luck!
So close now.
Original post by EatAndRevise
So close now.

AHHHH time for more harry potter films
AHHHH time for more harry potter films

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone: 159 min

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: 174 min

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: 142 min

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: 157 min

Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix: 138 min

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: 153 min

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1: 146 min

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2: 130 min

--
Total time: 1199 min (20 hours)

You could watch them all twice and then results will be ready :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios

--

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see you're having a boring sunday
Reply 494
What's the latest time that you can get results by e-mail, i.e the last 'hourly wave'?
Original post by Asklepios

--

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are amazing, im half way through :biggrin: 10 hours to go
Original post by Ecasx
What's the latest time that you can get results by e-mail, i.e the last 'hourly wave'?

8am ish, so its not really worth waiting, there is no order in which it goes, so you literally could be lucky or unlucky but some people try their chances.
Original post by Ecasx
x

x

We will be around from the go, so if you are lucky enough to get them early, then you can ask for any help/advice you may need straight away!
Original post by EatAndRevise
So close now.

It's at the point where I'm counting the hours until I'll get my results...
Not long to go now guys! Try not to stress out too much at this stage though, which I know is much harder than it sounds. Good luck to you all! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending