The Student Room Group

TSR Movie Madness: Semi Final. Shawshank Redemption V The Godfather

This poll is closed

Semi Final

Shawshank Redemption 49%
The Godfather51%
Total votes: 75
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).

We've found the best film in each of the eight genres and the group winners and runner ups progressed to the last 16 where they fight for the overall win. We're now up to the final 4 films and the semi finals have begun.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Voting is up until Monday 4th August 11:59PM

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Perhaps the most famous cinematic disappointment ever, The Shawshank Redemption made up for it's poor box office with a second wind on home release based almost solely on word of mouth, catapulting it to the top of many people's film lists. Spanning decades, the film looks at life in prison and a blossoming friendship between the prison's fixer and a man convinced of his own innocence.

The Godfather (1972)
One of the most famous movies of all-time, Francis Ford Coppola's epic gangster film tracks the Corleone film over the course of a decade. With so many parts immortalised by homages, tributes and parodies, the chances are that even if you haven't seen it there is much that will feel familiar to you.

Scroll to see replies

#1 v #2 on IMDb.
Hopefully TSR will get them in the right order. Unlike IMDb.
Reply 2
Original post by just a dad
#1 v #2 on IMDb.
Hopefully TSR will get them in the right order. Unlike IMDb.

My favourite of the two, Godfather, has a healthy lead atm. :yep:
Reply 3
Title has been handed to mu15. Can;t catch him now.
Didn't like either, but disliked The Godfather more.
Original post by Deshi
Title has been handed to mu15. Can;t catch him now.

When does his ban expire?!
Original post by Motorbiker

That healthy lead is now down to 3 votes!
Reply 7
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).

We've found the best film in each of the eight genres and the group winners and runner ups progressed to the last 16 where they fight for the overall win. We're now up to the final 4 films and the semi finals have begun.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Voting is up until Monday 4th August 11:59PM

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Perhaps the most famous cinematic disappointment ever, The Shawshank Redemption made up for it's poor box office with a second wind on home release based almost solely on word of mouth, catapulting it to the top of many people's film lists. Spanning decades, the film looks at life in prison and a blossoming friendship between the prison's fixer and a man convinced of his own innocence.

The Godfather (1972)
One of the most famous movies of all-time, Francis Ford Coppola's epic gangster film tracks the Corleone film over the course of a decade. With so many parts immortalised by homages, tributes and parodies, the chances are that even if you haven't seen it there is much that will feel familiar to you.

Shawshank was awful
Did enjoy Shawshank when I watched it but not going to vote because I haven't seen Godfather.
I enjoyed Shawhank more. It's a simple tale of hope, played out so well and going through all the human emotions.

Godfather 2 is epic, but I ENJOYED Shawshank more
Original post by Andy98
Shawshank was awful

Why do you reckon this?
Reply 11
Why do you reckon this?

It was meant to be a serious film, right? I couldn't stop laughing when I watched it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
It was meant to be a serious film, right? I couldn't stop laughing when I watched it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I watched it and thought it was nicely made and serious at times and funny at other times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Really? I watched it and thought it was nicely made and serious at times and funny at other times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I honestly wet n myself watching it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Each to their own, but I'd have to say that you are somewhat strange in having that reaction. Either that or you watched it when you were very, very young.

Shawshank now nosing ahead.
Reply 16
Each to their own, but I'd have to say that you are somewhat strange in having that reaction. Either that or you watched it when you were very, very young.

The other week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

what parts were that funny? I don't get it... :confused:

Shawshank now nosing ahead.

:eek:

After 7 votes it was 6 for godfather and 1 for Shawshank, what's happening!?!? :colonhash:
Reply 18
what parts were that funny? I don't get it... :confused:

I don't - I'm a sick, sick man must be what it is:colondollar:
Original post by Andy98
I don't - I'm a sick, sick man must be what it is:colondollar:

I think shawshank might win though since it's a hppier film. It's easier to watch, it's less serious and it has a nice tidy ending etc. Godfather is a better film but often in competitions like this people will pick their personal favourite.

It's up to a 2 vote lead for shawshank now. :colonhash:

Latest