The Student Room Group

Kissing hands is absolutely disgusting!

When i watched this vid, i felt like i'm gonna vomit. Ruddy hell! We are in 2014 for f's sake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh3fGhBNKoU
Original post by Syrian Guy
When i watched this vid, i felt like i'm gonna vomit. Ruddy hell! We are in 2014 for f's sake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh3fGhBNKoU

It's an old custom. I'd hardly call it "absolutely disgusting". Old fashioned, perhaps, but not disgusting. The kid's disregard for it though was quite amusing.
I'd swoon if someone kissed my hand :blush:
I don't think that hand kissing is "absolutely disgusting". I laughed when I watched the video. :lol: The way the kid whipped his hand away fast before most of the people could kiss it made me laugh.
Reply 4
Original post by Maid Marian
I'd swoon if someone kissed my hand :blush:

Well, I would also be happy to kiss your hand. I mean it happens between friends and close relationships and thats ok I reckon but seriously when it comes to crazy hierarchy, then I really would not feel happy about it.
Reply 5
Original post by Mad Vlad
It's an old custom. I'd hardly call it "absolutely disgusting". Old fashioned, perhaps, but not disgusting. The kid's disregard for it though was quite amusing.

Even if it is an old fashion, it is something people should get rid of. But as long as they are happy with it, it is none of my business any more.
Reply 6
Original post by TaciturnPhantom
I don't think that hand kissing is "absolutely disgusting". I laughed when I watched the video. :lol: The way the kid whipped his hand away fast before most of the people could kiss it made me laugh.

yeah you are right, this is the funny part of it but bowing to the "prince" is disgraceful! I mean this is how I see it.
Reply 7
... It's apart of their culture. What is this "Old fashioned" speak?

yeah you are right, this is the funny part of it but bowing to the "prince" is disgraceful! I mean this is how I see it.

Ah, that's interesting! Can I ask why bowing to him is disgraceful in your opinion? I'm not looking for an argument. I find different cultural views to be very interesting.
Reply 9
Ah, that's interesting! Can I ask why bowing to him is disgraceful in your opinion? I'm not looking for an argument. I find different cultural views to be very interesting.

The question is why would I bow to him! Who is he? A prince, so what? It just reminds me when I was kid, i used to kiss the hand the Imam (in the mosque) and if you dont do it, then you might get disdainful look or expression. What I am trying to tell you is if you do it because you have to, then It is disgraceful. If I ask you to bow to me, would you do it?
Reply 10
Original post by Truths
... It's apart of their culture. What is this "Old fashioned" speak?

I dont know mate...Some people see it as an old fashioned thingy, i can't blame anybody for saying so, but what i see it is stupidity.
(edited 9 years ago)
The question is why would I bow to him! Who is he? A prince, so what? It just reminds me when I was kid, i used to kiss the hand the Imam (in the mosque) and if you dont do it, then you might get disdainful look or expression. What I am trying to tell you is if you do it because you have to, then It is disgraceful. If I ask you to bow to me, would you do it?

Doesnt look like bowing to me, they are bending over to kiss his hands and greet him, when muslims bow they put their head to the ground, and bow to no-one but god

Heh, I agree with you. I wouldn't bow to the royal family but I have been influenced by a culture where bowing is considered a sign of respect (my mum is Chinese).

I don't know. I'd probably be too bemused and not knowing how to respond if you asked me to bow to you, but if you're older than me I wouldn't call you by your first name.
Reply 13
Original post by TheIsotope
Doesnt look like bowing to me, they are bending over to kiss his hands and greet him, when muslims bow they put their head to the ground, and bow to no-one but god

yeah bowing to God is something different. Wether bowing or bending to someone, i find it really strange to do so.
Reply 14
Heh, I agree with you. I wouldn't bow to the royal family but I have been influenced by a culture where bowing is considered a sign of respect (my mum is Chinese).

I don't know. I'd probably be too bemused and not knowing how to respond if you asked me to bow to you, but if you're older than me I wouldn't call you by your first name.

Yeah the same thing we do it in Germany when using 'Sie' to someone whose older than me or to someone we dont know. But the question is what some people see bowing as a sign of respect, others dont see it like that- No disrespect to any culture.
Laughing at how he pulled his hand away before half the people got to kiss it and made them look like a bit of a mug.

I think it depends on the context on how "disgusting" it really is though
Yeah the same thing we do it in Germany when using 'Sie' to someone whose older than me or to someone we dont know. But the question is what some people see bowing as a sign of respect, others dont see it like that- No disrespect to any culture.

Cultural perspectives on bowing can be very different and I agree with you. Bowing in countries such as China, Japan and Korea is seen as very respectful but in countries such as England, bowing is only often used at the end of performances or very formal occasions.

I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong!
True you don't know where that hand has been.

Quick Reply

Latest