The Student Room Group

Advice for going in to year 10?

im going to be in year 10 in september, i was wondering if you could give me some tips etc
Also should i start studying from now? i slacked off a lot in year 9 8 7. Im also bad at everything so my confidence level went down a lot, as well as my grades. Thank you :smile:

I have
Maths
English
English lit
Additional science (double)
religion and philosophy
pshce
p.e (im not so sure about this?) - Subjects you have to take

Sociology
Art
ICT
Child development- subjects i chose

I've bought all my gcse revision books already
Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In year 10, listen in class, do your homework, and ask about anything you don't understand - especially in maths, never go into the next lesson not understanding what happened in the last one. So many people in our maths lessons would say "she goes too fast!" or "she doesn't explain it properly!" The problem being that they never actually told the teacher this, so how was she supposed to know? So whenever you don't understand, ask until you do understand.

Other than that, don't worry. There is only so much you can do in year 10. You will forget most of what you learnt in year 10 by the end of year 11 and have to revise it all again - that's perfectly normal. As long as you understand it at the time, that's the important thing.

Also trust your learning style. At exam times people will equate the quality of your revision with how many notes you've written or how many hours you've spent revising but that's just not true. You have to revise the right way and at the right time for you. I'm a crammer - I can't revise properly until the day before the exam. Then I spend the whole day literally cramming everything. I got 10 A*s. I tried to be that person who makes neat notes for weeks before the exam and revises in moderate chunks but I would just forget it all again anyway. So do revise, but figure out what way works for you and do it in the way that feels right for you.

Finally don't get disheartened if you get bad marks. You're still learning. If you get a C, don't see it as that you haven't got an A/B, see it as that you haven't got an A/B yet. Ask the teacher what you would need to do to improve and try to do that. Ignore your predicted grades - just keep trying to do a little better each time and see how far you can go.

Finally - enjoy your summer!
Original post by sailorcat
im going to be in year 10 in september, i was wondering if you could give me some tips etc
Also should i start studying from now? i slacked off a lot in year 9 8 7. Im also bad at everything so my confidence level went down a lot, as well as my grades. Thank you :smile:

I have
Maths
English
English lit
religion and philosophy
pshce

Sociology
Art
ICT

Thank you

I'd recommend all the usual, do your homework, listen in class and enjoy your subjects... what's more interesting than learning about the Universe? Whether it's learning about Society, Computing, Plants, Football or Buddhism, it's all so GODDAMN interesting!

I'd recommend revising for exams at the beginning of January. This may seem early and hard to do at first, it did for me this year when I was in Y11 as I was focusing on revision at home but many others were still in 'back to school' mode... sort of. You can start off slowly, you know, do about 1-2 hours per night of 1 subject (i.e. Sociology) and then continue with it the next night if you enjoy it, or do another subject. Just do a couple of hours everyday from the beginning of January and the hours will soon add up! Of course get more intensive around March when everyone begins to revise, not all, just the majority of students, and you'll be amazed by how easy it has all become! ASK A TEACHER OR A FRIEND IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SOMETHING... ANYTHING!!! I believe it was the beginning of June (so I had done about 11/18 of my exams by then) and I'd revised for about 137 days consecutively... but I also had a social life, of course!

Just enjoy yourself, Y10 and Y11 are great years! Y11 was by far the best school year of my life, despite the fact that you'll be leaving in a matter of months.

Good luck with it all, you won't regret any minute of it!! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by AlphaNick
Just make sure that you safeguard any revision materials you get. This may include typing or writing revision notes or creating revision material as the teacher teaches the content. This means that you will have much less work to do in Year 11 as I did this from experience and I'm aiming for 9 A*s. I treated my revision notes as my most valuable revision tool, and the Year 10 and 11 mocks we had gave me time to re-evaluate them if necessary.

oh wow! thank you! i will be doing that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DanMargetts
I'd recommend all the usual, do your homework, listen in class and enjoy your subjects... what's more interesting than learning about the Universe? Whether it's learning about Society, Computing, Plants, Football or Buddhism, it's all so GODDAMN interesting!

I'd recommend revising for exams at the beginning of January. This may seem early and hard to do at first, it did for me this year when I was in Y11 as I was focusing on revision at home but many others were still in 'back to school' mode... sort of. You can start off slowly, you know, do about 1-2 hours per night of 1 subject (i.e. Sociology) and then continue with it the next night if you enjoy it, or do another subject. Just do a couple of hours everyday from the beginning of January and the hours will soon add up! Of course get more intensive around March when everyone begins to revise, not all, just the majority of students, and you'll be amazed by how easy it has all become! ASK A TEACHER OR A FRIEND IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SOMETHING... ANYTHING!!! I believe it was the beginning of June (so I had done about 11/18 of my exams by then) and I'd revised for about 137 days consecutively... but I also had a social life, of course!

Just enjoy yourself, Y10 and Y11 are great years! Y11 was by far the best school year of my life, despite the fact that you'll be leaving in a matter of months.

Good luck with it all, you won't regret any minute of it!! :biggrin:

Aw thank you! i am very very excited about studying sociology, should i start studying from semptember or would i go crazy? i hope your gcse results are good :smile: Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by moutonfou
In year 10, listen in class, do your homework, and ask about anything you don't understand - especially in maths, never go into the next lesson not understanding what happened in the last one. So many people in our maths lessons would say "she goes too fast!" or "she doesn't explain it properly!" The problem being that they never actually told the teacher this, so how was she supposed to know? So whenever you don't understand, ask until you do understand.

Other than that, don't worry. There is only so much you can do in year 10. You will forget most of what you learnt in year 10 by the end of year 11 and have to revise it all again - that's perfectly normal. As long as you understand it at the time, that's the important thing.

Also trust your learning style. At exam times people will equate the quality of your revision with how many notes you've written or how many hours you've spent revising but that's just not true. You have to revise the right way and at the right time for you. I'm a crammer - I can't revise properly until the day before the exam. Then I spend the whole day literally cramming everything. I got 10 A*s. I tried to be that person who makes neat notes for weeks before the exam and revises in moderate chunks but I would just forget it all again anyway. So do revise, but figure out what way works for you and do it in the way that feels right for you.

Finally don't get disheartened if you get bad marks. You're still learning. If you get a C, don't see it as that you haven't got an A/B, see it as that you haven't got an A/B yet. Ask the teacher what you would need to do to improve and try to do that. Ignore your predicted grades - just keep trying to do a little better each time and see how far you can go.

Finally - enjoy your summer!

Thank you! My predicted grades were d,c,b's :frown: But i will ignore them! Thank you so much, im also a crammer but lately it hasnt been working out, so im going to try many methods till i firgure out the one perfect for me. I will try to ask the teacher every lesson if i dont understand etc etc
im actually a little bit excited for year 10. And woah! 10 A* you are amazing! Thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you :smile:
ENJOY YOUR LIFE WHILE YOU CAN!!! :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by happysmile
ENJOY YOUR LIFE WHILE YOU CAN!!! :tongue:

I WILL!!!!!!:smile::smile::biggrin:

I have
Maths
English
English lit
religion and philosophy
pshce

Sociology
Art
ICT

Thank you

My main piece of advice would be to make sure you stay on top of your work! Do homework the night you get it, if possible, and when it gets nearer exams, even mocks, create a revision timetable so that you can plan for activities you enjoy as well!
I've just finished Year 11, but at the beginning of Year 10 I just continued like in previous years and found myself up too late finishing homework for the next day! Year 10 might not be too different from Year 9, but there are good habits to get into for Year 11!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Sarah Bethany
My main piece of advice would be to make sure you stay on top of your work! Do homework the night you get it, if possible, and when it gets nearer exams, even mocks, create a revision timetable so that you can plan for activities you enjoy as well!
I've just finished Year 11, but at the beginning of Year 10 I just continued like in previous years and found myself up too late finishing homework for the next day! Year 10 might not be too different from Year 9, but there are good habits to get into for Year 11!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile: good luck on your results
Personally, I didn't really find Year 10 too big a step up from Year 9, generally I just found we had a lot more end of topic tests and I felt like I was constantly revising for a test every week. Might not be the case at your school though :smile:

I recommend making decent revision notes at the end of every topic if you can bring yourself to do it, it will help you MASSIVELY in Year 11, and in end of year 10 exams. It basically means that you won't have to waste valuable revision time writing up notes before your mocks/real exams. Other than that, do all of your homework and try to do it on the night it's set where possible, it just helps you keep on top of it. If you have any coursework in Year 10 then definitely try to get as best a grade as possible; if you do well, you'll be less nervous for the actual exam which means you'll probably do better in that, too. Pay attention in class and you'll be fine! All the best :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by georgia0319
Personally, I didn't really find Year 10 too big a step up from Year 9, generally I just found we had a lot more end of topic tests and I felt like I was constantly revising for a test every week. Might not be the case at your school though :smile:

I recommend making decent revision notes at the end of every topic if you can bring yourself to do it, it will help you MASSIVELY in Year 11, and in end of year 10 exams. It basically means that you won't have to waste valuable revision time writing up notes before your mocks/real exams. Other than that, do all of your homework and try to do it on the night it's set where possible, it just helps you keep on top of it. If you have any coursework in Year 10 then definitely try to get as best a grade as possible; if you do well, you'll be less nervous for the actual exam which means you'll probably do better in that, too. Pay attention in class and you'll be fine! All the best :smile:

thank you :smile:
Focus on controlled assessments. That's it, you can Coast the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make sure you do well in your controlled assessment , because it will be worth it when you get to Yr11 as you already have marks secured.
Apart from that, work hard but don't get too stressed. Maybe get into the habit of looking through work and making notes, but too much will just make your life miserable. Unless the test counts towards what set you are in, or if its mocks, there's no need to make too big a deal of it.
Thank you! :smile: good luck on your results

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had all if these questions when going into year 10 as well and you have been smart to ask for advice unlike me. i am currently awaiting my results and wish I had the knowledge that I now have when I was in your current position.

Don't worry about any slacking off you have done, that is in the past and can't be changed. Anyway, GCSE is a complete new ball game to anything you have already done. Just make sure you focus and don't carry on in school with friends. Don't let them distract you from your studies as you will regret this. But keep your friends close as they will be a necessary support system during this process.

If your grades have slipped a little since going into year nine don't worry about it. It must happen to just about everyone as everything is harder and you have to face a hole host of new challenges. Also, the new freedom of being in high school/starting to road to GCSE can be abit daunting and/or exciting. Don't get me wrong it is a constant battle to maintain good grades but it is worth it. And don't worry if this does happen because you have 2 years to lift them up again.

As for revision, I wouldn't start until the beginning of next year. It is much too early to start in year 10 as you won't remember half of it when exam time comes around. Just do all of the homework given to you and make sure you understand everything covered in class. Don't leave the classroom until you understand something you didn't!!!!!! Also, it may help in subjects like science to read through the pages in the revision guide that you have covered that week on the weekend to keep the knowledge fresh in your mind. Keep ahold of all revision material and aids that get given to you as they may come in handy at a later date.

But the most important part is don't get overwhelmed. That will stress you and confuse matters. Stay organised and you will be fine.

Hope this helps x
GCSEs are easy, unlike other people are saying. I won't get 10A*s, this is my own fault though. Just revise two months before (and that's quite a long time), reading revision guides and textbooks and you'll do fine. But as I said earlier, CAs could bring you down (or bring you up- but my poor CAs are why my grades won't be as good as they could've been. This is fully my fault though and I regret it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw thank you! i am very very excited about studying sociology, should i start studying from semptember or would i go crazy? i hope your gcse results are good :smile: Thank you :smile:

Thanks mate! :biggrin:

No, don't study from September, you'll go crazy! Personally, it's best to just do your homework when given, and if you feel like it, feel free to look over your day's work/ask teachers if you don't understand anything.

Just relax and have fun, but from about February onwards, I would start revising... of course, try and do little bits here and there through out the first term (up until about Christmas) as it'll make the next 2 years a whole lot easier!

But don't go absolutely ballistic and block out all social contact during revision times. Of course, when you're revising, don't go on your phone or laptop (unless you're watching revision videos or something), but feel free to spend days out with friends or go out of an evening with the family or go for walks alone - this is actually a great idea as you can clear your head. You may meet your 'other half' there, you never know!!

I actually can't really remember all of Y10, but I did work quite a bit throughout, nothing compared to Y11 though. Wow, that sentence makes Y11 out to be the hardest year ever, nt NO WAY is this true. It sounds generic, but as long as you stay on top of your work (making/looking your notes), do revision timetables (as structure is the best thing ever:wink:) and understand the content... not just memorise! People say that's for A Level and you can just memories GCSEs to pass, this may be true to some people/subjects, but they're making GCSEs harder, so you might as well learn the reasons why things happen, not just that they happen (I can't even think of an example... maybe understand why the Heart beats, but don't just memorise that beats... okay, that definitely won't be a GCSE question, but who knows?!) :tongue:

Just have fun and enjoy it! The next 2 years are going to be fantastic and you honestly will love every minute of it! Cherish it all!

GOOD LUCK :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by KatieAlex
I had all if these questions when going into year 10 as well and you have been smart to ask for advice unlike me. i am currently awaiting my results and wish I had the knowledge that I now have when I was in your current position.

Don't worry about any slacking off you have done, that is in the past and can't be changed. Anyway, GCSE is a complete new ball game to anything you have already done. Just make sure you focus and don't carry on in school with friends. Don't let them distract you from your studies as you will regret this. But keep your friends close as they will be a necessary support system during this process.

If your grades have slipped a little since going into year nine don't worry about it. It must happen to just about everyone as everything is harder and you have to face a hole host of new challenges. Also, the new freedom of being in high school/starting to road to GCSE can be abit daunting and/or exciting. Don't get me wrong it is a constant battle to maintain good grades but it is worth it. And don't worry if this does happen because you have 2 years to lift them up again.

As for revision, I wouldn't start until the beginning of next year. It is much too early to start in year 10 as you won't remember half of it when exam time comes around. Just do all of the homework given to you and make sure you understand everything covered in class. Don't leave the classroom until you understand something you didn't!!!!!! Also, it may help in subjects like science to read through the pages in the revision guide that you have covered that week on the weekend to keep the knowledge fresh in your mind. Keep ahold of all revision material and aids that get given to you as they may come in handy at a later date.

But the most important part is don't get overwhelmed. That will stress you and confuse matters. Stay organised and you will be fine.

Hope this helps x

thank you! this helps soooo much good luck on your results :smile:
x

Quick Reply

Latest