The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yellowcopter
Hi, I'm new to watching anime so pardon my lack of knowledge. :redface:

The only anime I've watched so far is Durarara!! and despite the popularity of the show I can't seem to find anyone else who's watched it. :dontknow: Love it though. :ahee:

I'm mainly a J-Drama and K-Drama watcher but I want to get into more anime so if people could give me some recommendations of anime to watch, that'd be great.

I've also watched many Ghibli films (The Cat Returns, Spritied Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo) :smile:

Welcome to the society! :biggrin: Durarara!! is a great series, and there are a fair few people here who've seen it - were you aware it's getting a sequel?

Here's a working link to the welcome thread - Aiko's recommendations there are fantastic. :yes: As for my own recommendations, I'd suggest any of the following:

Baccano! (same creators as Durarara, and it has a very similar feel)

Steins;Gate

K (yes, it's just called 'K') :p:

Denno Coil

Fate/Zero
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Welcome to the society! :biggrin: Durarara!! is a great series, and there are a fair few people here who've seen it - were you aware it's getting a sequel?

Here's a working link to the welcome thread - Aiko's recommendations there are fantastic. :yes: As for my own recommendations, I'd suggest any of the following:

Baccano! (same creators as Durarara, and it has a very similar feel)

Steins;Gate

K (yes, it's just called 'K') :p:

Denno Coil

Fate/Zero

Yeah I heard about it, can't wait! :biggrin:

Thanks for the recommendations. :smile: I've heard of Steins;Gate and Baccano!, they both look awesome.
Omg anybody heard about the new anime/manga reforms :afraid:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/24069/20140729/free-manga-anime-online-more-anti-piracy-japan-illegal-download-sites.htm

I'm genuinely concerned. I'm gonna have to start looking for niche anime websites now, hoping it's not part of the 580 they wish to eradicate.
Original post by Tai Ga

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/24069/20140729/free-manga-anime-online-more-anti-piracy-japan-illegal-download-sites.htm

I'm genuinely concerned. I'm gonna have to start looking for niche anime websites now, hoping it's not part of the 580 they wish to eradicate.

From what I read on ANN, they're focusing mostly on piracy in China. Though I figure that it'll be a difficult battle for them to win either way, since new sites pop up all the time. :dontknow:
Original post by Tai Ga

I'm not that concerned because they always say they're going to 'crack down' on illegal sites but they never do. For example torrent and streaming sites, many have closed down by it's pretty easy to find alternatives. When one site is closed another is always opened.

Luckily there's always Crunchyroll anyway. :tongue: Which, as far as I'm aware is legal as well as being brilliant.
Reply 7305
I heard on an anime download site I occasionally take a look at. :yes: At first I thought oh no, then I realised not much is going to happen. Unless they actually do have some kind of big international authority.
When are they going to realize. An anti-piracy operation/campaign is absolutely pointless. They take one down, two more will come. Much alike torrent sites, they take one down, more come back.

Even if they block it at an ISP level, people will just use a proxy/VPN.
(edited 9 years ago)
Does this mean that in the near future I won't be able to store anime on a discreet black portable hard drive and have to resort to buying Card Captor Sakura DVD boxsets? :nooo:

:ninja:
I'd be fine with anti-piracy measures if they were focused on licensed titles but I don't see what they gain from trying to stop scanlations/fansubs of titles that it is impossible to get legally.
Original post by Keoje
Does this mean that in the near future I won't be able to store anime on a discreet black portable hard drive and have to resort to buying Card Captor Sakura DVD boxsets? :nooo:

:ninja:

That'll never happen.:gthumb:
Speaking of piracy... I'd forgotten how amusing the HK-subbed Mazinger Z (sorry, Devil Z) was. :giggle: This link gives a summary with screencaps of episode 1. :p:

http://rodie-the-nightblade.deviantart.com/journal/Let-s-Watch-Pirated-Mazinger-Z-Episode-1-315156717
:tumble: Did the internet police get everyone? :p:

I recently started the 1996 TV anime You're Under Arrest, and couldn't believe how good it looked - epic car/bike chases, with brilliant attention to detail. I was quite looking forward to 51 episodes of that... unfortunately, it seems the first four episodes were actually the 1994 OVA. The animation style and quality from episode 5 onwards just hasn't been up to the same standard. :frown:
I would happily pay £5 a month direct to the anime producers themselves, what I am not prepared to do is pay £5 to sites like crunchyroll where 90% of that £5 goes to the pockets of crunchyroll and less than 50p goes to the Japanese anime makers. Look it up there are tons of articles about how much money crunchyroll actually gives to japans anime companies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7314
Hmmm people have been sharing a totally legit tumblr page that says Ghibli closing as a production company.... Anyone seen a better source. Or even better can a specific someone translate those pics in the link?/Confirm that it's bull ****:tongue:
Original post by vin
Hmmm people have been sharing a totally legit tumblr page that says Ghibli closing as a production company.... Anyone seen a better source. Or even better can a specific someone translate those pics in the link?/Confirm that it's bull ****:tongue:

As usual, I'll believe it when it's on ANN. They're usually pretty quick when it comes to big news such as this, so I'm already sceptical, but I'll certainly be checking it frequently for the next day or two. :afraid:
Reply 7316
Original post by AngryJellyfish
As usual, I'll believe it when it's on ANN. They're usually pretty quick when it comes to big news such as this, so I'm already sceptical, but I'll certainly be checking it frequently for the next day or two. :afraid:

There was a thread on reddit where someone was saying this was not the case and that it was just a bad translation from a documentary. There were some sources for that ...which are untranslated.:sad:

So to summarise.. so far alot of hearsay originating from some guy on tumblr... no proper confirmation from someone with a clue as yet.:nah:
Original post by vin

but didn't that guys son take over or something? i might be terribly misinformed...

just hope it doesn't close :frown:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-04/ghibli-co-founder-suzuki-studio-considers-dismantling-production-department/.77263

Ghibli Co-Founder Suzuki: Studio Considers Dismantling Production Department

Suzuki discussed the great changes that the entire studio is undergoing at the studio's shareholders meeting, and mused that these changes may include dismantling the production department. While there has been talk among some about dissolving the studio outright, Suzuki emphasized that the truth is that the studio is considering "housecleaning" or restructuring for now. The end result would be "rebuilding" the studio and creating an environment for the next generation.

Suzuki did not downplay the significance of Miyazaki's retirement. Still, he added, "On what to do with Studio Ghibli's future, it is by no means impossible to keep producing [movies] forever. However, we will take a brief pause to consider where to go from here."

So, not exactly a good situation, but not the end of the studio either.
Original post by brownsugar-xx
but didn't that guys son take over or something? i might be terribly misinformed...

just hope it doesn't close :frown:

Goro Miyazaki has joined as an animation director, one of a few the studio has, but their current issues seem to be more to do with the financial side of things. Kaguya-hime no Monogatari brought in about half its substantial budget, which can't have helped matters. :s:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest