The Student Room Group

Need help with my choices for alevel

well as i start college in a month i am still unsure on what alevels to do as i havent recieved my GCSE results. I have put down to do alevels in Geography,History,History of Art and Chemistry, i want to go on and study a pharmacy degree, are my alevel choices ok for that or would i need to do another science because i am unsure if geography is classed as a science or not..

Please help urgent

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by _psyc0pathic
well as i start college in a month i am still unsure on what alevels to do as i havent recieved my GCSE results. I have put down to do alevels in Geography,History,History of Art and Chemistry, i want to go on and study a pharmacy degree, are my alevel choices ok for that or would i need to do another science because i am unsure if geography is classed as a science or not..

Please help urgent

Thank you :smile:

Geography is more of a humanities than a science

Sciences generally include Biology, Physics, Maths and in some certain circumstances psychology.

I think(?) most places ask for 2 sciences, so you may need to adjust your choices.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Geography is more of a humanities than a science

Sciences generally include Biology, Physics, Maths and in some certain circumstances psychology.

ah alright, well i am stuck then as i am not very good at physics or biology. thank you for your advice tho :smile::smile:
It depends what universities you're looking at, some will class Geography as a science. It is probably best to do something that is definitely a science to be safe if you're unsure:smile:
You'd be in a good position if you did Maths, Biology, Chemistry to A2 and then Physics/any other subject of your choice to AS :yep:
Reply 5
ah alright, well i am stuck then as i am not very good at physics or biology. thank you for your advice tho :smile::smile:

I would say Maths is probably the least time consuming and easiest to self teach :smile:

LOADS more clearer and accessible resources for A level than on Gcse i found.
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer
I would say Maths is probably the least time consuming and easiest to self teach :smile:

LOADS more clearer and accessible resources for A level than on Gcse i found.

ah ok, will have to wait to get my GCSE maths back then as my college require a B and i dont know how i did in my exam lol.

Thank you all for your input btw :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by laylarose
You'd be in a good position if you did Maths, Biology, Chemistry to A2 and then Physics/any other subject of your choice to AS :yep:

yeah physics and biology and maybe even maths arent really my strong point lol

Then pharmacy isn't for you. As a pharmacist, you need to know the biology of people's bodies, if drugs are appropriate for their anatomy, which drug affects which part of the body and how, etc. Hospital pharmacists are drug experts who know more about drugs than doctors, and advise doctors on which drugs to use on which patients, needing to know all about their medical/surgical conditions and their anatomy. Retail pharmacists need to know whether the drugs they're dispensing are appropriate in terms of people's anatomy and biology, etc. There is a lot of biology in a pharmacy degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone,
I've just finished my A Levels, which consisted of Biology, Psychology, Economics and an AS in Chemistry. If you guys would like to know more, please visit the thread I have made:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2763052

Feel free to ask me a anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

You ought to rethink your degree choice then!
I would say Biology, Maths and Chemistry to A2 and whatever you fancy to AS.

Quick Reply

Latest