The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom_Ford
Man, is Anderson still at Utd? I thought you guys had sold him already lol. I don't know which two are worse tbh, they're all really quite awful.

Flamini and Arteta are nowhere near as bad as Cleverley and Anderson!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Flamini and Arteta are nowhere near as bad as Cleverley and Anderson!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Flamini and Arteta should be compared to Fletcher and Carrick.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Flamini and Arteta should be compared to Fletcher and Carrick.

Tbf, as an Arsenal fan, Fletcher is the best out of the lot mentioned. He's a beast. Always been a fan of his.
Expecting an easy Manchester City win personally.

Depends on the team sheet though but you'd think that if they matched their first team with yours you guys are toast. If they didn't do that their backups are very strong this season.
The CS is not trophy in any case, it's little more than a glorified friendly. Arsenal played it every year nearly 1998-2005 and I can scarcely remember a single one properly.

I'd play

Szczesny
Debuchy Chambers Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey AOC
Sanchez Wilshere Cazorla
Giroud

But inevitably, Arteta/Flamini will start.

*Felt Chambers acquitted himself well at CB this w/e btw.
Giroud is ****.
Original post by SHOO
See the bolds

:cool:

Podolski was available during the bad part of last season from jan to april.
Walcott was available for about a month.
AOC was available for about the second half of last season.

Anyway Arsenal had fast players before hand and they didn't play on the counter attack(like in 2011-13 with the Gervinho/Walcott partnership) and even before hand with Arshavin, Walcott and Nasri they had good pace yet you were still playing possession football.

If he wanted to play on the counter he would have but he barely does, besides a few big games. I was going to say Bayern Munich away, that's probably a better example than Napoli of games where you clearly were counter attacking.

It also makes sense as to why you countered vs Madrid too. But then that was in the CL before 2007. When you clearly changed your philosophy.

If you lacked pace Wenger should have thought of something better than suicide tactics against Chelsea. At least with Liverpool it was terrible set piece defending and then they just started hitting you hard on breaks but against Chelsea that was just stupid. Could have tried to defend a bit, could have used defensive possession and force the team to actually attack.

Wenger will carry on playing the possession/attacking football vs the big teams. I'll give a better example, the game vs Chelsea at the emirates Ramsey and Walcott were playing, Chelsea pressed high up but gave Arteta space to play I remember, did you try to release Walcott in the game or play attacking football? No you didn't you decided to pass the ball from side to side the whole match.
(edited 9 years ago)
Podolski isn't fast.
Original post by EmperorMustard
Podolski isn't fast.

87 Pace on Fifa 13.
Was interesting to hear Wenger talk about how he played 4-3-3 yesterday, with Arteta as the holding mid. Maybe he has plans for that formation this season with a new DM coming in.
Original post by EmperorMustard
Podolski isn't fast.

Yes he is and at the very least he's a direct winger.

In fact you were the one who said this to me last year when I was banging about the pace/direct winger thing. Don't change your tune now.
4-3-3 with Arteta as the holding mid would probably get better out of him. But then that makes no sense when you bought Ozil for 42M. Although Wilshere will be getting happy now.
Original post by jam278
4-3-3 with Arteta as the holding mid would probably get better out of him. But then that makes no sense when you bought Ozil for 42M. Although Wilshere will be getting happy now.

Alternative formation for when Ozil is resting or substituted off? Maybe Wenger is trying to be less reliant on his strongest 11 to start every game. As we saw last season it didn't go well doing so.
Original post by B-Stacks
Alternative formation for when Ozil is resting or substituted off? Maybe Wenger is trying to be less reliant on his strongest 11 to start every game. As we saw last season it didn't go well doing so.

I assume so. I'd do the simple thing and use Cazorla there instead and buy the DM. Just get 2 players for every position.

Personally I feel he's trying to get better out of Arteta. As seen with players like Gerrard, Alonso and Pirlo a player with good passing range and low energy levels can increase the longevity of their career by playing at the base of a 3 man midfield.

Won't be surprised if he's trying this for that. Or possibly a formation for big games. More protection for the back 4?
What's the view/atmosphere like from block 24? Managed to get Palace tickets
Original post by wannabeaca
What's the view/atmosphere like from block 24? Managed to get Palace tickets

Lower tier, just to the right of the goal, clock end. Will have a good view like every other seat at the Emirates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2496
Original post by Peggles_*
Lower tier, just to the right of the goal, clock end. Will have a good view like every other seat at the Emirates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

East & West stands are the deadest in terms of atmosphere. A lot of people turn up to enjoy a "good game of footy", where they sit back, don't chant.. And remain really all game.

North bank is the one <3

On another note..

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9406317/arsenal-manager-arsene-wenger-unconcerned-over-olivier-girouds-lack-of-fitness

Yay :frown:
Original post by jam278
Yes he is and at the very least he's a direct winger.

In fact you were the one who said this to me last year when I was banging about the pace/direct winger thing. Don't change your tune now.

And you were saying how we needed more pace on the flanks. Now you're saying we had enough pace to counter-attack if Wenger wanted to last season. You're the one who has changed their tune.
Original post by Peggles_*

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm row 25, directly behind the goal in clock, will it be a restricted view?
Original post by wannabeaca
I'm row 25, directly behind the goal in clock, will it be a restricted view?

No, there aren't any at the Emirates!

The only time you may have difficult is when everyone stands up in anticipation waiting for Giroud to score for him to only spoon it into Row Z.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest