The Student Room Group

Is a job at 16 necessary

I'm 16, so I've finished my GCSEs. In the future, I'm hoping to do an English lit/creative writing uni course. So during the break between Y11 and Y12, I've been spending most of my time developing my creative writing.
I haven't given getting a job much thought, but I've been wondering if this will affect me in the future. Will I have a weak UCAS statement if I have little work experience?
No. It won't matter at all.

Why would you want to talk about jobs you've had on an English lit PS, anyway?
Reply 2
Original post by Isla-H
I'm 16, so I've finished my GCSEs. In the future, I'm hoping to do an English lit/creative writing uni course. So during the break between Y11 and Y12, I've been spending most of my time developing my creative writing.
I haven't given getting a job much thought, but I've been wondering if this will affect me in the future. Will I have a weak UCAS statement if I have little work experience?

I didn't have a job when I started writing my personal statement and got offers from all 5 of my chosen universities, three of those being Russell Group universities. So not having a job shouldn't affect your chances :smile:
You don't need a job especially for english but I would still recommend getting one if you can. I want to do an English degree too, just did my as levels and I have a job as a cashier in a butchers on Sundays although mostly in the summer and early autumn not really during school terms. It's really good not to be dependant on your parents for money! Plus it's good life experience and improves your responsibility etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll be fine by not working. If anything, you'd be better off trying to get someone to publish some written work of yours in a local magazine or newspaper. Show interest in your subject outside of school, start a blog, that kind of thing.
Reply 5
You won't need one for a University offer, but you will find getting work at/post University much easier if you get one young. It's easier to find one at 16 with no work experience than at 21 still without work experience!
It will also give you a bit of spending money as well as experience in the "real world". Even if you don't need it financially, I'd recommend trying to get something for a few hours a week to give you some experience to help you out later in life.
I wouldn't say that a job was necessary but it could be helpful for you. That way you've got a bit of money for yourself so you won't have to rely on your parents, or you could always put the money aside for university. Work teaches you all kinds of life skills and it'll help you to find work later on down the road. That said, if you don't have to get a job right now and would rather enjoy your summer, just do that. As Alpha has pointed out, there are many other ways of showing your interest in literature besides work experience.
You have to weigh up the pro and cons for employment at 16.

Pros:
You will be gaining independence which is ideal if you are living in halls/
Depending if it's a paid or voluntary position, you may earn your own money which will help you budget in the future.
You will gain vital skills for university and future employment such as: people and literacy.

Cons:
You are only 16 after all, you have the rest of your life to find your feet and get a career.
Most employers won't employ students under 18 for financial and safety reasons.
Depending what the job is, you wouldn't be able to put it on your PS.

I didn't put my employment history down on my PS and I still got an offer, the admissions team don't care about your experience; just that you have an interest in the subject.

But it's up to you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Not necessary but do it for the experience. Tbh it's best to wait until the age of 18 to get a job as you have more scope for jobs.
No, don't bother. Volunteering is probably more useful
Reply 10
I got a job at 16, purely so I could have my own money to go out, go on holiday and just do stuff. I've now saved everything I've earns in recent months so I can afford to go out when at uni. Having a job can help you develop skills that are looked for by universities, like communicating with people. I seriously think having a job has benefited me
Original post by Isla-H

Unis really don't care about things like part time jobs. However, having relevant work experience can help - although since it is so hard to find universities totally understand that and by no means is it a requirement :smile:
Perhaps try and get in touch with local newspaper companies/ publishers/ book clubs/ libraries and see if you could spend a week there - for example libraries often run reading schemes over the summer holidays and you could volunteer next year to help out :smile: You could also see if your sixth form has a paper or blog and try and get involved - if it doesn't, set one up!
To help your personal statement, you could also try entering your writing into competitions (for example when I was younger I had a few poems published in Young Writers magazines + books - you might be a bit old for this now, although I think officially they accept entries from people up to 18? might be 16? but there are probably other similar things - google 'creative writing competition' and I'm sure loads will come up. I think some universities may run essay competitions for AS students which you could look into...). You could also attend things like book festivals etc. to show an interest in literature outside the A level syllabus :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending